1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Light grey suit . What shoes and socks to wear to a wedding?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ramze, Jun 12, 2012.

1. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

I still prefer black shoes with the suit.

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Yeah, for a wedding I'd wear black shoes and mid to dark grey socks.

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Weddings are celebratory too- feel free to go with a little more whimsy. I wear brown shoes to weddings all the time, and unless it's a really conservative affair, you're fine with having a little more fun with things.

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

the only option for a wedding.

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i recommend to have another hundred to receive a statistical valid result.

6. E TF

E TF Senior member

I'd go with black shoes but perhaps a more interesting tie than solid navy - read the wedding tie thread. Wear whatever socks you fancy.

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

not really...

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

YMMV, but for me, I'd wear black shoes.

9. furo

furo Senior member

10. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I assume this wedding is morning/afternoon and/or not in a house of worship of some sort?

If not then your choice of suit is suspect, first and foremost.

Personally, I go with black. Or, if feeling like the wedding was informal enough that I should 'break the mold', oxblood or burgundy shoes. Lighter shades of brown I would not do with light gray, to me it looks odd regardless - not enough contrast.

11. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Can never go wrong with Westbournes (unless you are wearing full cut trousers, lol)... such a great looking shoe.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  12. SartorialSlackr

SartorialSlackr Member

Sockless, with a suit ??

I thought that was a fashion "faux pas"? >:-O

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Maybe not in europe, but you guys still wear morning dress for weddings on a pretty regular basis, right? Us yanks don't. Weddings are formal occasions, but they're not ridiculously formal.

Black shoes are fine if you want to wear them, but hardly mandatory, at least at most weddings I've been to.

14. furo

furo Senior member

The general level of dress is so poor throughout the US that almost anything that fits (suit, jacket) will be 100% better than the typical wedding crowd.

15. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Any wedding in a place of worship, or indoors after 6pm deserves/demands black shoes. It's not a fashion rule. It's a rule of ettiquette/respect for the importance of the occasion.

Whatever trends there are away from this because of our current fashion preference for brown shoes should be ignored, in my opinion.

I'm perfectly fine with brown, red, green, navy shoes as a fashion statement for daytime wear with suits. But I feel strongly about the tradition of showing respect for others by wearing the 'required' attire at weddings and funerals. As it is a way of saying 'I'm not important here' or this is 'about' others, not me. A man who has matured to the point that he realizes everything in life is not about him would wear his black shoes to all such events. As he realizes that this is not a time or place to display his fashion sense.

16. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

You're entitled to your opinion, but not all weddings are indoors after 6 these days, or in a church. I certainly go to a lot of afternoon ones. If it's a highly formal evening service, sure, black shoes would be called for. But I don't think I've ever even been to an evening wedding, and I've been to a pretty fair number. From my experience, they're just not all that common these days.

This isn't a funeral. It's a wedding. Joy and cheer. Wear formal clothing, sure, but if people showed up to my wedding dressed like they were going to a funeral, I would be pissed. This is a summer wedding, and odds are during the day. Brown shoes should be fine. Hell, show up to a summer wedding in the south with a well dressed crowd, and you have a pretty good chance of seeing a seersucker suit or two. Insisting that black shoes are mandatory for such an occasion would be about as wrong as you can get.

17. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I agree, an evening wedding calls for black shoes, and a daytime summer wedding calls for linen suits and tan shoes.
    But (and forgive me for using this thread) what if the groom himself plans to wear brown square toe loafers to a wedding that is to take place at 7pm?
    Of course it's his wedding and he can do whatever he wants, but besides trying to convince him to wear black cap toe oxfords, would you still wear black shoes if you can't get to convince him?

Yes, I am in this situation and it's actually the bride who told me to try to convince the guy [​IMG] They're both good friends of mine.

18. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

The bride told you to convince him? Tell him that his soon to be wife hates the shoes, and that you, as somebody who knows a little about menswear, agree with her 100%. Tell him you both think he should treat himself to a pair of nice dress shoes that he'll get use from long after the wedding, then take him to a shoe store and get him in a pair of 5th avenues.

19. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

imo nothing to do with europe.

well being mandatory. there's no extra definition. when the dress code is suit - shoes are black, period.

i don't mind what you yanks do. i think global and act local.

20. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

c'mon, what's wrong with you? do you have no pride?