• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light grey suit combo - assistance required

windexoutdoor

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post but have enjoyed reading the honest advice you have given to other posters in need of dress assistance.

I will be going to San Francisco in late May for a wedding. The ceremony will be in the late afternoon on the beach and the reception will follow.

I have attached 3 pics of different shirts and ties to wear with my light grey, can you please give me your thoughts? I also have a black suit but I think it's a bit boring. I only got it for work.

I also need advice on shoes. I have black leather shoes but I'm thinking of trying brown. I love these brown Allen Edmonds Strands (see pic).

So, to summarise, can you please give me advice on:
  1. which shirt and tie combo I should wear (please advise if you prefer something not in the pics);
  2. what coloured shoes to wear with your recommendation; and
  3. does my belt have to match the shoe colour? I was thinking that brown shoes/black belt/black tie could work.

Any other feedback is most appreciated.

Cheers
Wayne

calcoast

Reaction score
I would wear the 2nd pic with brown shoes and brown belt. I would not wear a black belt with brown shoes.

If your going to be in SF check out Lou's Cafe at 5017 Geary Boulevard in between between 14th and 15th Avenue(Less than 10 minutes from the beach). They have the best sandwhiches you'll ever taste. I recommend the Italian special with everything, toasted...Good luck and have a great time...

Also layer up, The city gets very cold in the evenings, even in Spring/Summer...

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I would wear the 2nd pic with brown shoes and brown belt. I would not wear a black belt with brown shoes.

+1...if those are your choices...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my screen, your "gray" suit looks like a very warm gray, almost verging on tan/beige. I think either combo 2 or 3 would be fine. Given that it is a beach wedding, the A-E Strands in walnut should be fine. Of course, for a beach wedding, a pair of spectator shoes like the newly re-introduced Broadstreet might complement your suit very well and introduce and extra touch of panache. White bucks would also work. Spiff your ensemble up with a pocket square as well.

windexoutdoor

Reaction score
All - thanks for your feedback. I don't know how to insert quotes in replies (this is my first post) however I'll check out the sandwhiches - Calcoast.

JLibourel - I appreciate your response. In general, would you match the pocket square with the tie, shoes, or shirt? Also, should I fold the pocket square using any specific technique or are any of the standard folding methods acceptable (i.e. is are some methods more "sytlish" or "formal" than others?)

calcoast

Reaction score
If you look at the bottom-right of each person reply you'll see a set of four buttons, one of them is the quote button. I usually try to match my PS with my shirt and tie. I say fold the square however you feel like (as I do). Someone else might suggest a more formal fold for weddings, take a look at the "What are you wearing today?" thread, and get some ideas from those impeccably dressed gentlemen...

Last edited:

windexoutdoor

Reaction score
If you look at the bottom-right of each person reply you'll see a set of four buttons, one of them is the quote button. I usually try to match my PS with my shirt and tie. I say fold the square however you feel like (as I do). Someone else might suggest a more formal fold for weddings, take a look at the "What are you wearing today?" thread, and get some ideas from those impeccably dressed gentlemen...

Thanks for the heads up. I have decided to go with the white shirt/red tie combo with a pair of walnut Strands. Next job is to find a retailer selling Strands in Aus, or buy online and take the risk.

rick07

Reaction score
I think I prefer the light pink shirt with the red tie.

windexoutdoor

Reaction score
I think I prefer the light pink shirt with the red tie.

Do you think there'd be too much "going on" with that many colours? Brown, grey, red, light pink/purple. It seems a lot in my amateur opinion but I'll certainly reconsider my decision. Thanks for your input.

doogoshly

Reaction score

Do you think there'd be too much "going on" with that many colours? Brown, grey, red, light pink/purple. It seems a lot in my amateur opinion but I'll certainly reconsider my decision. Thanks for your input. 

if you go with the pink i think black shoes would be better since you're going with more muted colors. red tie/white shirt would be ok with brown.

Last edited:

Leonel Dante

Reaction score
I would say go for combo 2 with brown shoes, in combo 1 shirt, suit and tie tonalities are to similar, you need to create some contrast.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes, too much going on. I'd keep it simple. Gray suit, white shirt, either brown or black shoes, matching belt. Ditch the pocket square (til you're more comfortable with the other stuff).

Red ties are for politicians and are ugly imo. There are actually conventions for wedding ties if you care about knowing. read this. Something in black, navy, silver, or white with a low-key pattern would be appropriate (and look good).

Which suit is yours? The top one is really light and might look weird with black shoes. I'm not a fan of that reddish-brown in the shoe picture paired with pale gray. I think a more usual dark brown would look better.

hope that helps.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, too much going on. I'd keep it simple. Gray suit, white shirt, either brown or black shoes, matching belt. Ditch the pocket square (til you're more comfortable with the other stuff).

I too advocate simplicity with light gray, it formalizes the otherwise casual nature of the color. I like your first combo but replace the pink shirt with a white one. If you really wanna up your game and mimic a current trend in Italy, get excess fabric in the same material as the suit and make a tie out of it. Monochrome

vacca-3.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont mean to be a douche, but you need a different tie, perhaps something with a light blue to it, and a solid white shirt with a nice spread collar. just my 2 cents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics