• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light Daily Sunscreen (for use over an aftershave balm)?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
With the coming of spring / summer I'd like to buy a light, non-greasy sunscreen that I can apply over my aftershave balm (DR Harris' Aftershave Milk).

Any suggestions? - I was thinking of getting this one from Kiehls which is advertised as being very light, yet potent (SPF 50):

http://www.kiehls.com/Super-Fluid-UV...=face-sun-care

RanMan

Reaction score
I really like La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Face Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid. Goes on smooth and even, no greasy feel or obnoxious smell, and has a slight matt finish which is good for oily skin - easy to find too. I like Kielhls, and although I haven't tried this one I'm not a fan of their previous sunscreens as I found them heavy and led to breakouts.

Fwiw, some sunscreens contain titanium dioxide. When the flash of a camera hits it, your face can get a white cast to it, just sayin...

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll check when I get home but I did some research on this awhile ago and came up with a Neutrogena product that has the texture of milk and is SPF 70+. There were others of a similar style but were 2-3x as expensive.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Kiehl's one is absolutely oil-free and lightweight. It's also paba free and broad-spectrum, and effective since it's in their "dermotologist tested" line. I use it every morning after my face lotion and never feel like it's adding weight to my skin.
teacha.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I believe that Kiehl's re-brands Lancome and/or La-Roche Posay products now. Or Vice-Versa, since they're all owned by L'Oreal. That tube looks identical to my La-Roche Posay SPF30 bottle.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I believe that Kiehl's re-brands Lancome and/or La-Roche Posay products now. Or Vice-Versa, since they're all owned by L'Oreal. That tube looks identical to my La-Roche Posay SPF30 bottle.

Kiehl's actually maintains their own factory in New Jersey that they had before L'Oreal aquired them. I can't speak so much for the other two, but their products are pretty different.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Great - thanks everyone. Bought the Kiehls a few days ago.

An online article that surviewed top NY dematologists had the majority recommending La-Roche Posay. However, the 'star' doctor (who frequently appears on TV) said this product from Ocean Potion would work just as well as the fancy stuff:

and-021_1z.jpg

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
i dont like the spf 50. it is light, but still pretty greasy. I REALLY like Kiehls new moisturizer with Mexoryl broad spectrum sunscreen. Its the only one ive used that works and doesnt break me out.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
The Cetaphil product with SPF 15 built in is very good and inexpensive. I use it year 'round.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Keihl's will bother my eyes. The only one I have even found that doesn't bother them is the Clinique, but it is only SP 20, but I use it everyday.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
Kiehl's actually maintains their own factory in New Jersey that they had before L'Oreal aquired them. I can't speak so much for the other two, but their products are pretty different.
The Dermatology line came out after the acquisition. Also...
Originally Posted by DerekS
i dont like the spf 50. it is light, but still pretty greasy. I REALLY like Kiehls new moisturizer with Mexoryl broad spectrum sunscreen. Its the only one ive used that works and doesnt break me out.
I know for a fact that the Mexoryl moisturizer is the exact same as the La-Roche Posay moisturizer w/spf that you can get at CVS. Unfortunately, this breaks me out.

stever

Reaction score
i use the aesop sage & zinc stuff. micronised ZnO so it doesn't clog the **** out of your pores. works well

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I know for a fact that the Mexoryl moisturizer is the exact same as the La-Roche Posay moisturizer w/spf that you can get at CVS. Unfortunately, this breaks me out.

Where are you getting your info if you don't mind me asking? This seems like good stuff to know.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Where are you getting your info if you don't mind me asking? This seems like good stuff to know.
You don't even need to do research. The bottles are exactly the same, the price is exactly the same, the ingredients are almost identical. You can lookup what brands L'Oreal owns online and pretty much infer from there.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wicked

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads