Light Daily Sunscreen (for use over an aftershave balm)?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eustace Tilley, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

With the coming of spring / summer I'd like to buy a light, non-greasy sunscreen that I can apply over my aftershave balm (DR Harris' Aftershave Milk).

Any suggestions? - I was thinking of getting this one from Kiehls which is advertised as being very light, yet potent (SPF 50):

http://www.kiehls.com/Super-Fluid-UV...=face-sun-care

2. RanMan

RanMan Senior member

I really like La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Face Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid. Goes on smooth and even, no greasy feel or obnoxious smell, and has a slight matt finish which is good for oily skin - easy to find too. I like Kielhls, and although I haven't tried this one I'm not a fan of their previous sunscreens as I found them heavy and led to breakouts.

Fwiw, some sunscreens contain titanium dioxide. When the flash of a camera hits it, your face can get a white cast to it, just sayin...

3. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

I'll check when I get home but I did some research on this awhile ago and came up with a Neutrogena product that has the texture of milk and is SPF 70+. There were others of a similar style but were 2-3x as expensive.

4. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

The Kiehl's one is absolutely oil-free and lightweight. It's also paba free and broad-spectrum, and effective since it's in their "dermotologist tested" line. I use it every morning after my face lotion and never feel like it's adding weight to my skin. [​IMG]

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I believe that Kiehl's re-brands Lancome and/or La-Roche Posay products now. Or Vice-Versa, since they're all owned by L'Oreal. That tube looks identical to my La-Roche Posay SPF30 bottle.

6. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

I believe that Kiehl's re-brands Lancome and/or La-Roche Posay products now. Or Vice-Versa, since they're all owned by L'Oreal. That tube looks identical to my La-Roche Posay SPF30 bottle.

Kiehl's actually maintains their own factory in New Jersey that they had before L'Oreal aquired them. I can't speak so much for the other two, but their products are pretty different.

7. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

^ Great - thanks everyone. Bought the Kiehls a few days ago.

An online article that surviewed top NY dematologists had the majority recommending La-Roche Posay. However, the 'star' doctor (who frequently appears on TV) said this product from Ocean Potion would work just as well as the fancy stuff:

[​IMG]

8. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

i dont like the spf 50. it is light, but still pretty greasy. I REALLY like Kiehls new moisturizer with Mexoryl broad spectrum sunscreen. Its the only one ive used that works and doesnt break me out.

9. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior member

The Cetaphil product with SPF 15 built in is very good and inexpensive. I use it year 'round.

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Keihl's will bother my eyes. The only one I have even found that doesn't bother them is the Clinique, but it is only SP 20, but I use it everyday.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Kiehl's actually maintains their own factory in New Jersey that they had before L'Oreal aquired them. I can't speak so much for the other two, but their products are pretty different.
    The Dermatology line came out after the acquisition. Also...
    i dont like the spf 50. it is light, but still pretty greasy. I REALLY like Kiehls new moisturizer with Mexoryl broad spectrum sunscreen. Its the only one ive used that works and doesnt break me out.
    I know for a fact that the Mexoryl moisturizer is the exact same as the La-Roche Posay moisturizer w/spf that you can get at CVS. Unfortunately, this breaks me out.

12. stever

stever Senior member

i use the aesop sage & zinc stuff. micronised ZnO so it doesn't clog the shit out of your pores. works well

13. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

I know for a fact that the Mexoryl moisturizer is the exact same as the La-Roche Posay moisturizer w/spf that you can get at CVS. Unfortunately, this breaks me out.

Where are you getting your info if you don't mind me asking? This seems like good stuff to know.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Where are you getting your info if you don't mind me asking? This seems like good stuff to know.
    You don't even need to do research. The bottles are exactly the same, the price is exactly the same, the ingredients are almost identical. You can lookup what brands L'Oreal owns online and pretty much infer from there.

15. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Wicked