• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light Colored Suits for Summer: Indispensable, Desirable or Unnecessary?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely necessary. Get at least one poplin & one linen. You won't believe how you've gotten along thus far without them.

They provide a nice change along with the weather, you bring out the bright ties, gingham shirts, fun squares, cufflinks & spectators.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indispensable in the humidity of Baltimore. Nothing feels better than the breeze when it wafts through a linen suit.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say desireable.

If you are building a wardrobe, this falls into the after you get 4 basic suits and a blue blazer bucket.

I suppose it really depends on where you live.

Here in Chicago, it doesnt matter that much.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OCBDs and linen pants for me all summer--not a suit or jacket in sight.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
OCBDs and linen pants for me all summer--not a suit or jacket in sight.
Do your gray wool pants come in linen?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Do your gray wool pants come in linen?

Salvatore convinced me to try some beige linen.

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
From one attorney to another... score some.

I have an ivory linen, tan Pal Zaleri double breasted, a Canali light brown with pin stripes.

Here in Dallas, they get a lot of use.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Desirable, not indispensable is fair.

That said, I have three: one dove gray, one a bit darker in a pick/pick weave, and a tan solaro and have found that if you have em, you'll most definitely wear em and wind up wondering why you didn't get them sooner.

I've also found that the neutral shades of the light gray and the solaro jackets wind up doing double duty with some odd slacks.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I wear a suit at least once a week visable by a fair number of people, and like to mix them up so that if people see the same suit, they dont recognise or remember it. Having lighter colors to wear in the summer is very helpful, plus after a while you get tired of dark colors. But then again I'll wear a light suit in the winter or a dark one in the summer if that's what I am feeling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads