• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light-colored suits after dark?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been trying on LOTS of suits lately, and I find that I look the best in those in the silver-gray family. I already own a dark charcoal suit, and it's not nearly as flattering to my own coloration as anything I've seen in light silver-grays.

The only thing keeping me from buying one is the question of utility. I seem to recall hearing that one ought to wear dark suits at night and reserve lighter colored suits exclusively for daywear. If I'm only going to own a couple of suits, I'd like to be able to wear them at all hours of the day.

Please respond to my poll and let me know how seriously this "rule" is taken by the SF gurus. Please also let me know if I've misunderstood or am misapplying the rule.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's totally venue dependent. Fine some places, will get you tossed out on your ass in others.
Nowadays it's not nearly as rigorously enforced as it used to be ( except by some members here)
wink.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
It's totally venue dependent. Fine some places, will get you tossed out on your ass in others.
Nowadays it's not nearly as rigorously enforced as it used to be ( except by some members here)
wink.gif

I'm not sure I can think of any non black/white tie event that would fit that definition.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Acceptable if it is summer, or you are in a tropical or sub-tropical location - i.e. endless summer. If you are in a temperate setting No Way - you will look like having one of the Soprano's as sartorial consultant. And I don't like silver grey too much!

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At night (without (day-) light) coloration dissapears. Wear black.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohh, and i forgot: Dumb poll!

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wink.gif

It absolutely depends on the venue, and it it not a dumb poll, it's actually a good question. Like all matters of dress, you must read the situation and either 1) do what is expected of you, or 2) do whatever you want and attract attention because of it. I don't know if you will be tossed out, but in certain business or social situations, you might be looked down on a bit. To me it is similar to wearing an open collar when everyone else has a tie on. You will stick out - to some it may be positive to others negative.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I have an aversion to wearing light-coloured suits in gloomy weather, let alone at night. Summer nights are an exception, and sometimes in winter it happens naturally (going straight out for drinks/dinner after work, for instance), but otherwise I don't generally do it.

This is a purely aesthetic rather than rules-based argument for me - I just don't like the look. If YOU like how you look in a light-coloured suit at night, then go for it. I don't think there's a formality-level problem here at all.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
Ohh, and i forgot: Dumb poll!
The poll results say otherwise. I'm especially intrigued by the fact that the number of men who've never heard of the rule is nearly equal (so far) to the number of men who know the rule and reject it.

Besides, since when is curiosity ever dumb?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I envision a white suit and a red fez at a nightclub.

Teh monocle would be a necessary accessory then.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Teh monocle would be a necessary accessory then.

The lens might be too Germanic.

For this ensemble, I think a pair of Buddy Holly glasses would suffice. Very 1950s King Farouk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads