• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light-colored hats with dark suits.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel that light-colored hats--such as a silverbelly, grey, camel--are far more elegant with dark suits than a correspondingly dark hat. The converse is true with lighter suits. For example, a silverbelly longhaired Homburg with contrasting dark brown banding would look quite elegant with a dark charcoal suit. This also works with things like Panamas.
the-mack-1973-paul-harris-max-julien-pic-1.jpg

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the light hat with a dark suit look associated with gangsters? I remember Jeeves forbidding Wooster from wearing one for this reason, and everything that happens in jeeves & wooster must be true.

If it was a panama or similar on a hot day I would think so, otherwise I'm not so sure.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll admit I have given no thought to this -- I wear the hat that the weather dictates. Generally this means lighter hats in summer and darker in winter and my clothes generally correspond to this change in shades, but not always, so there are times when I'll wear a light coloured summer hat with a darker jacket.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I'll admit I have given no thought to this -- I wear the hat that the weather dictates. Generally this means lighter hats in summer and darker in winter and my clothes generally correspond to this change in shades, but not always, so there are times when I'll wear a light coloured summer hat with a darker jacket.
Same hear. It's not something I've thought about but I wear lighter-colored hats in summer and darker stocking caps in winter.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dn't find it "more elegant" but it certainly is more "daring" and certainly doable. I like it.

In the hat's heyday of the 30's-50's it wasn't nearly as uncommon now.

Alas most are beaten down into lowest common denominator "matchi-ness".

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Same hear. It's not something I've thought about but I wear lighter-colored hats in summer and darker stocking caps in winter.
I'll point out that my hats are all casual and worn on walks with the dog. I don't own a dress hat.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
. . . I remember Jeeves forbidding Wooster from wearing one for this reason, and everything that happens in jeeves & wooster must be true. . .
I think the objection was that it was a straw hat (presumably because he was heading to NYC, not a resort). As for the OP, the answer is yes - a light hat can look elegant with a dark suit. The trick with light colors is that it is easy for a light colored felt to look cheap and skimpy - you want a felt with substance, not a lightweight felt (unless it is summer).

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd do it..

Some examples from my previous WAYWRN posts:
L1090169.jpg

L1090158.jpg

L1090139.jpg

L1080926.jpg

L1080903.jpg

L1080873.jpg

Heck, if it doesn't rain tomorrow I may wear a hat!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I often wear a panama in summer, regardless of the colour of suit I'm wearing. I agree that the contrast can be very fun.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, obviously, I'm biased:
2yyv5h2.jpg

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I think the objection was that it was a straw hat (presumably because he was heading to NYC, not a resort).

No, in the one I am thinking of Wooster buys a white/ivory trilby or fedora, which Jeeves objects to, saying that only men called al capone wore them, or something like that.

I wouldn't wear a pale coloured hat like that with dark clothes, but a light-coloured panama, straw or other summery hat worn with dark clothes can look pretty good, as demonstrated by PG and Barims.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, in the one I am thinking of Wooster buys a white/ivory trilby or fedora, which Jeeves objects to, saying that only men called al capone wore them, or something like that.
Sounds like a different scene from the one I was thinking of.

I wouldn't wear a pale coloured hat like that with dark clothes, but a light-coloured panama, straw or other summery hat worn with dark clothes can look pretty good, as demonstrated by PG and Barims.

I agree and think a light colored straw hat is seasonal, so it looks good with seasonal suits of any color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads