• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lifting weights and wearing tailored clothing?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried Fran Denim? I did a video on them about a month ago. They are the only brand in my closet currently because I have the same issue. (6’0, 245lbs, 50” chest, 40” waist, 30” thighs, Squat=500, Deadlift=510). Let me know what you think. My channel really is for guy like everyone on this thread!

@AmicusCuriae came up with a table for denim in athletic fits too.

This is the table I've put together. Hope it helps!

BrandAvailable at...PriceSize NameWaist MeasurementFront RiseBack RiseThighKneeLeg Opening
Left Field NYC - Atlashttps://leftfieldnyc.com/collections/charles-atlas200-300 CAD323211.515.7512.375 to 12.58.3757.5
Iron Heart 888https://www.ironheart.co.uk/bottoms/ih-888s.html450 CAD323211.616.112.48.87.9
Williamsburg Garment Co S 2nd Sthttps://williamsburggarment.com/japanese-selvedge-mens-straight-fit-jeans-usa/220-280 USD3233.7510.2512.68.25
Japan Blue High Taperedhttps://www.okayamadenim.com/products/japan-blue-jb0601-high-tapered130 USD3233.1111512.2 to 12.49.17.1
Momotaro Natural Taperedhttps://standardandstrange.com/prod...-fit-15-7oz-zimbabwe-cotton-selvedge-one-wash300 USD3332.511.515.2511.758.57
Rogue Territory Striderhttps://www.urbanlupe.com.au/products/rgt-rogue-territory-strider-14-5oz320 USD323411.2515.512.258.758
The Flat Head 3012https://www.rivetandhide.com/the-flat-head-3012-straight-tapered-jeans.html330 USD323211.2516.2512.99.27.1
Unbranded 6xxhttps://theunbrandedbrand.com/products/ub601-relax-tapered-fit-indigo-selvedge100 USD32341212.597
Blackhorse Lane Relaxed Taperedhttps://blackhorselane.com/product/e5-relaxed-tapered-jean-14oz-japanese-indigo-selvedge/450 CAD323211.314.2128.97.1

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lost 95 lbs in my early 60's, just fed up with the overweight (250 at 5-8 1/2). Dropped to a small top from large, 38-R jacket with lots of alterations. Tendinitis finally eased up and I started small hex-bells routines. I no time I hit a 39+ chest and 3 jackets had to be replaced.
Congratulations man, you earned it. I also have tendonitis in both my forearms due to past retail jobs.
I feel this. It's a struggle being into weightlifting but also clothes. I have sort of compromised and dropped super intense lower body stuff, because hardly any clothes are designed for big thighs. I also find that you can't really go above a 42 chest if you want to fit into cool stuff (this more applicable to SW&D where most niche brands don't go above a size 42/XL).

Keeping body fat low also helps. If you're 12 percent body fat you can be pretty strong but still not very big
I've noticed that in terms of thighs. If I really wanted go all out for legs I'd have to drop the hobby altogether, and mine aren't even big.

Out of curiosity, I wondered if Tom Platz could ever fit into a suit, and found this hilarious image.

050936552bc84d6ac9cb9380ca4cf000.jpg

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
6’0, 245lbs, 50” chest, 40” waist, 30” thighs, Squat=500, Deadlift=510).

Bro...I mean, these #s, both physically and barbell-wise, are for an NFL fullback or a really strong linebacker, not a guy with a stick and little ball. Did you always do this as golf training, or were you, like a football/rugby/bobsledder type that transitioned? Do those semi-employed trust fund babies dressed in Tommy Bahama Sport and Nike Dri-Fit Performance Polos even let you into the clubhouse?

Let me know what you think.

I'm thinking they don't make golfers like they used to, is what I think. "Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakn' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation." is what I think.

This is now the StyleForum X bodybuilding.com (misc, natch) collab.... Welcome to peak insecure internet sausagefest narcissism!

Nigel Scott-Williams

Reaction score
I wouldn't go crazy on buying new clothes in the first two years or so of consisent and purposeful training. Only later on will you find that you can 'grow' with less dramatic change in size. And the growth is not what you would expect: I found that after one year I couldn't roll up my sleeves because of increased biceps size, and even ripped some short sleeve shirts just trying to pull them off. To the opposite, my waist size went down to 28 inches so my pants actually gathered at the waist with a belt. I bought a smaller waist, but still very slim-cut pants, but within a year as my waist was heading to even 27, my flat butt got rounder so with bigger glutes I needed 28 pants but with a regular cut. Lots of clothes ended up not being worn for more than 6 months to a year! Since then it's been steady - even though my body is still 'improving' the same clothes seem to work.

Last edited:

Zmitchem

Reaction score
Bro...I mean, these #s, both physically and barbell-wise, are for an NFL fullback or a really strong linebacker, not a guy with a stick and little ball. Did you always do this as golf training, or were you, like a football/rugby/bobsledder type that transitioned? Do those semi-employed trust fund babies dressed in Tommy Bahama Sport and Nike Dri-Fit Performance Polos even let you into the clubhouse?

I'm thinking they don't make golfers like they used to, is what I think. "Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakn' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation." is what I think.

This is now the StyleForum X bodybuilding.com (misc, natch) collab.... Welcome to peak insecure internet sausagefest narcissism!
? I appreciate the compliment! Golf was my first sport but I moved into Football, then track and field (I placed 1st in the shot put and 4th in the 4 x 100m at the state competition), then Olympic weightlifting in college. So I haven’t always golfed but as a guy who wants to be competitive and has 2 kids golf is much easier to do (our house is on a golf course, definitely not a country club though). One of the PGA pros recently bulked up to 240lbs so I thought it was a good niche to start my channel with. Likely will just do style and training tips for muscular men once my channel is a bit bigger but I’ll still be a golfer for the rest of my life. Might throw a powerlifting competition or two in there though. Not too far from my state records in the 110kg class.

Sam H

Reaction score
Strength training and bodybuilding brought me from being a scrawny high schooler to a V-torso. I’m far from huge, I’m just another guy who wears medium T-shirts and goes to the gym versus a hardcore bodybuilder, but that trick is that a layman would say I’m “toned” not realizing that I actually trained really hard, put on 30-40 “good” pounds, got my lift numbers up to respectable entry level “real deal” weights and doing this throughout my late teens/early-mid 20s has so far allowed me to coast with a lightened regimen and certainly helped my general physical health. An acute instance of lifting helping my physical health beyond is aesthetics is that whenever I get upper back pain from my day job of sitting at a computer it’s a reminder that I should stop slacking off in the gym because having a strong upper back completely obliterates my posture-imposed pain.

When I was really trying to go up in size tailored clothes would have been a bad investment but now I just have a nice drop that fluctuates based on my laziness. I have ended up with clothes that fit too tight after getting them made on a personal downswing, but that’s life. I can get them adjusted at the lower back and it helps.

As a cynical high schooler I thought negatively about a lot of self improvement I precociously deemed vain. Don’t be like cynical high school me and write off weightlifting. Especially if on a forum dedicated to male vanity.

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
I would mirror what everyone else says. The first two years of lifting are when most of the weight gains occur, and an 8" drop in OTR is no big deal. I went from a 39R to 41R in 2.5 years and have maintained 41R since 2013. The only thing I noticed is that something like a BB Milano fit has become a little more than questionable around my lats and probably wouldn't go that route (again).

PT2011

Reaction score
I love how SF has turned into bodybuilding.com forums ITT.... brings me back to posting there in 2008-2010. Fun times.

OP should check those forums out if he hasn't yet.

RIP to teen misc legend Zyzz.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love how SF has turned into bodybuilding.com forums ITT.... brings me back to posting there in 2008-2010. Fun times.

I lurked all the time during my high school years on misc. Fun shitposting central, but always a bit much for me.

My favourite thread is probably this one though. Still ongoing.

rate my bulk (185 to 273 from Aug-May) this is the end

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I can wear clothes you plebes can

Attachments

• 0D80E345-6DC5-40A1-BA0D-24647AEA8E64.jpeg
    0D80E345-6DC5-40A1-BA0D-24647AEA8E64.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 419
  • 08EDB13D-2CD0-458A-A269-1B199DD7A9B7.jpeg
    08EDB13D-2CD0-458A-A269-1B199DD7A9B7.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 418

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel this. It's a struggle being into weightlifting but also clothes. I have sort of compromised and dropped super intense lower body stuff, because hardly any clothes are designed for big thighs. I also find that you can't really go above a 42 chest if you want to fit into cool stuff (this more applicable to SW&D where most niche brands don't go above a size 42/XL).

Keeping body fat low also helps. If you're 12 percent body fat you can be pretty strong but still not very big
42 is a pathetic chicken chest

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Zyzz, brother of Chest Brah

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the life of me I’ve never understood why dudes lift weights to bulk up.

I get that sometimes it’s sport specific, like skaters and hockey players with big thighs, but why do it under the guise of fitness.

Your clothes don’t fit and you waddle as though you just **** your pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads