• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lifecycle investing

highfalutin

Reaction score
This is my first time posting a finance-related question here, but I thought there might be some smart people who can point me in a good direction. Some creative thinking might be useful. What is the best way to set up an IRA to have leveraged stock market exposure? What I have in mind is approximately 2:1 exposure to an index such as the S&P 500. I am in my mid-twenties and have about 20,000 USD in an IRA which is completely invested in a mutual fund called Thrivent Mid Cap Growth A. And I have felt for a while that I should put the money in something with higher risks and higher yields at least until I am thirty. When I saw that Robert Shiller at Yale recommended a book titled, Lifecycle Investing, I eagerly read it. The authors suggest doing exactly what I have described above. I called Vanguard a couple days ago and ended up feeling a little discouraged: My complete lack of investing experience may prevent a brokerage firm from approving me to buy stock options in order to achieve my goal of leveraging.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by highfalutin
My complete lack of investing experience may prevent a brokerage firm from approving me to buy stock options in order to achieve my goal of leveraging.
Sounds like they made the right decision.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if your brokerage won't let you do something, switch brokers.

but for your purposes you would be better off borrowing on margin to buy an index fund or etf

Stewbone

Reaction score
If this is your retirement account then I wouldnt be buying on margin.

If your looking to up your risk then Vanguard has plenty of high risk funds.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You do have to be careful with leverage.

Volatility in its raw form can be waited out. Volatility created by margin debt often can't.

highfalutin

Reaction score
I understand that the Internal Revenue Service prohibits using an IRA to invest on margin. Call options, however, might be permitted in an IRA.
Originally Posted by rich_202
Wouldn't a leveraged ETF such as SSO give you double the exposure to the S&P 500?
Perhaps, but that particular ETF is not designed for long-term investing, as the article states. I have not yet heard of a good ETF for this purpose, or any truly viable solution for that matter.

tj100

Reaction score
Call options, however, might be permitted in an IRA.

Call options are permitted by the IRS, but most custodians don't allow them because the odds are that you'll be holding a contract that you can't legally exercise because of the contribution limits. With a contribution limit of just $5K, it's pretty easy to buy a call that would require more cash than you can contribute to exercise. I know what you're thinking - you intend to sell the call, not exercise it, when the time comes - but most compliance departments don't see it that way. They see you buying a contract that they're not going to let you exercise.

v0rtex

Reaction score
What is the best way to set up an IRA to have leveraged stock market exposure? What I have in mind is approximately 2:1 exposure to an index such as the S&P 500.

If you have to ask the Internet, you probably shouldn't be buying stocks on margin, lest this happen.

The Lifecycle Investing guys have not succeeded using their strategy, it's just a pet theory of theirs.

highfalutin

Reaction score
When I started this thread, I have to admit I wasn't terribly optimistic about finding a quick solution. The problem is that I don't really know what I should be doing with my IRA. I guess there are two options.
  1. Set and forget with a broad index or a mutual fund.
  2. Spend many, many hours learning about investing -- not really knowing where to begin.
Penny stocks?

highfalutin

Reaction score
How hard would it be to create an ETF that tracks the S&P 500 -- times two -- for the long haul? Does it require a degree in finance? And while we're at it, how about a 2:1 leveraged ETF for each of the most promising emerging markets? Even if it's not a smart retirement investment for everyone, I am sure some investors would find such things useful especially as part of a larger portfolio.

tj100

Reaction score
How hard would it be to create an ETF that tracks the S&P 500 -- times two -- for the long haul? Does it require a degree in finance? And while we're at it, how about a 2:1 leveraged ETF for each of the most promising emerging markets? Even if it's not a smart retirement investment for everyone, I am sure some investors would find such things useful especially as part of a larger portfolio.

ProShares has basically everything you're looking for in the Ultra S&P500 fund, and has some emerging market coverage as well.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by svd
These don't work long term. This is a pretty good explanation as to why. In flat markets these funds lose money.

http://etfdb.com/2009/the-truth-abo...sting-or-dont-use-a-toaster-to-cook-a-turkey/

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating the strategy. OP asked if such a fund could be built, and I was merely pointing out that such a fund already exists.

Whether it's a good idea to invest in or not depends on personal circumstances - but it's something that I would almost never recommend.

highfalutin

Reaction score
Thanks to you all for responding to my stupid questions. There are other things I would rather do than learn investing, but doing so might be really important for me. Honestly it all kind of reminds me of the subject of nutrition: The bookshelves are full of bad advice, and I recently ended up getting a biochemistry book and learning more than any normal person should need to know about carbohydrates and triglycerides. If doing something similar is required for investing, I'm open. But where do I begin?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
Call options are permitted by the IRS, but most custodians don't allow them because the odds are that you'll be holding a contract that you can't legally exercise because of the contribution limits. With a contribution limit of just $5K, it's pretty easy to buy a call that would require more cash than you can contribute to exercise. I know what you're thinking - you intend to sell the call, not exercise it, when the time comes - but most compliance departments don't see it that way. They see you buying a contract that they're not going to let you exercise.

That doesn't really make sense...maybe it is time to find a new broker?

You might not be able to contribute enough new cash to exercise a call option, but technically the entire balance of your account can be liquidated to buy the shares.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads