Life without loafers?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Threadbearer, Dec 11, 2011.

How important are loafers to your wardrobe?

1. Critical. Without loafers, I would lose the will to live.

45 vote(s)
    25.4%
  2. Not critical, but I wear them frequently enough to consider them a wardrobe staple.

71 vote(s)
    40.1%
  3. They're almost useless, but I'd rather have them and not wear them than run the risk of not having t

20 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. I don't own loafers, or I own some but never wear them.

41 vote(s)
    23.2%
  1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

brown calf.

love them.

2. clock

clock Active Member

I have 3 pairs of penny loafers. C&J Merton and Sydney, and Cheaney Imperial Cavendish. I like them all very much, functional at my work and leisure time. Many may have different opinions about matching loafers with office attire, but I don't have any issue with it. All my penny loafers are calf leather, so I suppose that helps to an extent that I don't feel out of place and other people don't keep starring at my feet at work, unlike suede loafers which IMO are more casual. Talking about wearing loafers at work in the office, I suppose the look of the loafers does matter. I will avoid wearing thin-soled loafers (imagine loafers meant for driving purposes), because they are just too casual.

Well by now the OP already received more than 80 votes, has he made up his mind?

3. Francisco

Francisco Senior member

I trust he has brought a few since 2011.
    Infact C&J sydney is now on top of my shopping list right now.

4. RWDouty

RWDouty Member

Maybe it's because the store is 45 mins away from where I grew up, but rancourt and company makes beautiful handmade shoes, my favorite being its penny loafers. They start making the shoes when you order them and do a fantastic job. Plus they're ridiculously inexpensive for the quality of the shoes. http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/men-s/penny-loafers.html

5. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

Alas, the OP is still on the fence. I still really want a pair of C&J Mertons in mink suede, but I can't quite talk myself into buying them because I doubt I'd wear them enough to justify the cost. And so, like George Costanza, I yearn. I yearn.

[​IMG]

6. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

You're concerned about these loafers, as well as those tan Carminas in the other thread? Make a short list of the shoes (and other items) you "need" or "really want" with what you think you'd wear the most on the top of the list. Buy those and cross them off the list. Repeat until you reach the loafers, and then buy the loafers.

7. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

How I wish it were that easy! Also on the list are several MTM sport coats that I desire, along with a couple pairs of Epaulet slacks.

Oh well, at least it's a First World problem.

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I would lose my will to live without my loafers. I love to wear them and own many many pairs of them in many colours.

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

NECROBUMP.

Thinking about getting a more loafer centric shoe rotation. About five pairs of the same Alden loafer in different leathers.

Will be my default unless I'm wearing or a suit. Or if I just feel like wearing laceups.

Good or bad idea? I like the convenience of slip ons

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Just about any time I'm not wearing a suit, I'm wearing penny loafers, occasionally mixing in camp mocs or monks. The only shoe in my casual rotation outside of the sneakers I break out in summer is a pair of dirty bucks, so I'd say go right ahead.

Also, it seems I originally voted for the staple option on this poll. I would like to change that to the lose the will to live option.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Thanks for the input ^

I also find that loafers are easier to maintain. Don't have the take the laces out to polish

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I like my suede pair. If you want the definition of low maintenance...

And when a good pair of loafers break in, they feel like slippers. Can't beat that. Of course, that only goes for the unstructured sort- if they've got a stiffened toe or any serious structure apart from in the heel, they won't form to your foot quite as well.

13. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

This seems to put me in the minority here, but since I'm only in a suit 1x/wk, if that, I wear loafers constantly. Actually, my laceups get rare use.

14. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Go for it. Unless you really love the way that particular loafer fits your feet, I'd go for some variety and get a couple different makes personally, but to each his own. Loafers are great to wear whenever you're not in a suit and are incredibly easy to slip on. Ever better in the summer.

15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I like this particular model because it as the flex sole, and a slightly elongated last, making it dressier. I guess I could get some more C&J Merton's too. Those are even dressier.

The Alden's in question (Copley last):

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013