1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Life on the Line - Grant Achatz

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by ChicagoRon, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

the reason not to listen to Wagner is not that he was anti-Semitic but that he was a compositional blowhard. No composer ever benefited more from a highlights disk.

Anyway, are you guys saying that Achatz screwed over Keller? I thought he just left to do his own thing, happens all the time, right?

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    Anyway, are you guys saying that Achatz screwed over Keller? I thought he just left to do his own thing, happens all the time, right?

nope. he did right by thomas. it was the guy who brought him out to Chicago and gave him his own restaurant. i'm not sure "screwed over" is the right term. i think "discarded without much thought when something better came along" is more fitting.

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

now foodguy, what are some good food-related books you would recommend? Not yours, they're already on my list.

if you want a chef bio, i think jacques pepin's is good. it's pretty stereotypical (and ghost-written) but interesting. tony bourdain's first book is still very good, i think. and if you want to know how a great chef thinks, i still think the TFL book is very good (also ghosted). i also like ruhlman's book on making of a chef. he's a bit worshipful, but i get that. if you want a really terrific book on cooking, check out a copy of "auberge of the flowering hearth." that's a classic.
    for other things ... Pollan is good, but his more recent books are better (or at least more in keeping with my views on the subject). food and ag politics are complicated and the more hard lines you try to draw, the more mistakes and generalizations you make. and to get the other side, "Just Food" does a very good job without being too ag chamber-of-commercy.

4. KJT

KJT Senior member

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would have a hard time reading the autobiography of a chef.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

I liked this book:
    [​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Adventure.../dp/1400041201

yeah, i forgot that one. the first half was terrific. a great writer writing about life in a kitchen. it kind of tailed off for me in the second half, when he decided he didn't have enough to make a book out of what he had. description is great, but ultimately i wondered "why is this guy so obsessed?" then it occurred to me: he had to fill out anohter half of a book.

7. SField

SField Senior member

I would have a hard time reading the autobiography of a chef.

Umm trying writing one (not your autobiography but the bio of someone presented as being self written.)

8. KJT

KJT Senior member

Umm trying writing one (not your autobiography but the bio of someone presented as being self written.)

Are you saying that you have written one?

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

i liked the start of it ... but i found the second half wearing.

yeah, i forgot that one. the first half was terrific. a great writer writing about life in a kitchen. it kind of tailed off for me in the second half, w
    Maybe your attention span is growing weak in your old age...

10. SField

SField Senior member

Are you saying that you have written one?
    Obviously not about myself, and it hasn't been published. Legal troubles on the part of the person trying to publish it.

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

they do seem to follow the same arc: growing up with a good cook of a mom, apprenticeship, tough master, finally earn respect, first big break, etc. the model for the genre is by an old guy named Henri Charpentier ... it's still very charming, if very dated (he named ever dish after a famous customer).
    oh, and FU kwilkie.

12. Manton

My life on the line began today.

13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

is that congratulations? or condolences?

14. Manton

is that congratulations? or condolences?

volunteering at the fci student restaurant. i did ok.

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

volunteering at the fci student restaurant. i did ok.

that's cool. there's nothing quite like a good service: getting everything organized and prepped, hitting the first couple dishes, then the mad rush, then the taper. then lots of beer. everybody ought to do it a few times. any more than that could be the sign of a problem.

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

oh, and FU kwilkie.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    that's cool. there's nothing quite like a good service: getting everything organized and prepped, hitting the first couple dishes, then the mad rush, then the taper. then lots of beer. everybody ought to do it a few times. any more than that could be the sign of a problem.

Damn right. It's a serious addiction.

17. braised

braised Senior member

Weedy?

18. Manton

Dinner is infinitely harder than bruch, holy cow.

19. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Dinner is infinitely harder than bruch, holy cow.
    It depends. It's harder than brunch in terms of volume and amount of work..... but if you cook for a living, brunch is the bane of your existence b/c you're bound to work the entire shift with a crazy hangover and at most 2-3 hours sleep.

20. Manton

It depends. It's harder than brunch in terms of volume and amount of work..... but if you cook for a living, brunch is the bane of your existence b/c you're bound to work the entire shift with a crazy hangover and at most 2-3 hours sleep.

suburban drone that I am, this will never be a problem for me