• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Life Long Slob Attempts To Pull Together First Look. Advice Needed, Please Help!

BigHempin

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I am trying to pull together an outfit for a casual date day/night with my wife. I have included an inspiration picture below. When I wear this outfit it will be cold, highs in the mid 40's and lows in the low 30's. I am a lifelong slob and I am trying to surprise my wife with this for her birthday. She has a thing for professors and a professor look. I am not sure how else to describe it. She loves a corduroy sport coat with patches on the elbows that she once bought me. So it is my desire to try and put something together that will appeal to her and that she will like(and I'll like too).

So far I have a houndstooth topcoat by Ralph Lauren. I also have a grey herringbone sport coat by Sid Mashburn. I was planning on trying to keep it casual by pairing it with a very nice neat non distressed pair of very dark indigo jeans and also a really nice pair of brown Allen Edmond boots or shoes.

I need help with the rest of the look, I have a blue(and white) oxford but I am having trouble finding a brown sweater vest and a tie that has those colors in it. Where can I find that tie? If I cannot find that tie what other options should I consider? I was thinking a knit tie would look good and might actually help make it look even more casual. One thing making it difficult to find a brown button front sweater vest is my size, I have to shop in the big and tall section which can really limit my selection. The fact that I have to shop in the big and tall section will make this outfit all the more surprising and impressive if I can actually pull it off. Any and all help and advice is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 1.09.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 1.02.21 PM.png

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the coat and sportcoat combination however I would not wear any jeans and especially not if you plan on wearing a tie.

If you want more casual trousers that will go with this outfit, wear some chinos with a grenadine, shantung silk, or a knit tie.

If you really want to wear the jeans, skip the tie. That would be too discordant.

BigHempin

Reaction score
If you want more casual trousers that will go with this outfit, wear some chinos

Thank you for the advice. I don't necessarily want more casual trousers I just want to keep the overall look casual. At the end of the day I guess I want whatever looks best. If I went with chinos, what color would you suggest? I really appreciate the help. Thanks

anaxagoras

Reaction score
1. I am a professor with such a wife. ;-)
2. As noted by bicycleradical, lose the jeans if wearing tie.
3. Consider a knit tie.
4. Blue shirt not white.
5. Pro tip: periodically clean your glasses with your tie.

BigHempin

Reaction score
1. I am a professor with such a wife. ;-)
2. As noted by bicycleradical, lose the jeans if wearing tie.
3. Consider a knit tie.
4. Blue shirt not white.
5. Pro tip: periodically clean your glasses with your tie.
Ha, thank you for the great response. #1 Lucky man! 🤣 :cheers: #3 If I go with a knit tie, should it be solid colored? #5 I am taking notes, thank you!! 😆

anaxagoras

Reaction score
Solid.
You can also do a soft patterned shirt with no tie—I would only add a tie for a meeting.

Last edited:

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I don't necessarily want more casual trousers I just want to keep the overall look casual. At the end of the day I guess I want whatever looks best. If I went with chinos, what color would you suggest? I really appreciate the help. Thanks

Stone or Olive color would be fine with that coat. Navy would be OK as well but limited for other outfits so I'd take that as a last resort.

anaxagoras

Reaction score
I would go with dark cord trousers at those temps with this look. It’s all about soft and comfortable (therefore cuddly). (I like the cardigan in that photo, for that very reason.)

BigHempin

Reaction score
Ditto on both of these.
I would go with dark cord trousers at those temps with this look.
@anaxagoras @bicycleradical This is great, Im sorry to keep nit picking but would you go wide wale or fine wale? My options are pretty limited, I have two choices. I found a great wide wale pair from brooks brothers in either dark green or brown. Or I can do a fine wale pair from Lands End in "Rich Coffee", "Rich Camel" or "Forest Moss". I think I like the wide wale green or brown and I am kind of leaning towards green? What do you guys think? Professor? Thank you both so much for the help.

So wide wale or fine wale? Dark Green or Brown?
Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 12.38.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 12.54.00 PM.png
or LandsEnd...
Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 12.44.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 12.44.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 12.45.47 PM.png

anaxagoras

Reaction score
I like wide wale but works better on large men (which I am not). Would go with BB or J Press over LE, but that just may be my age and bias. It does come down to the individual piece.
The way Barley Blair (Connery) dresses in the Russia House is a good model. (Also great for the British vs. American suits, and different styles thereof.)

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like all three colors you presented so anyone of them will do.

My favorite of the three is probably the green however any of them will do. I'd prefer BB or J Press but like @anaxagoras said, it depends on the piece.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads