• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Life after university is depressing...

Foldtold

Reaction score
This needs a bump, scared for my future.

Last edited:

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't take to much advice from others. What works for some, might not work for others. But the obvious one is to leave your house. Where you go, it does not matter, so long as it has some interest to you and is populated by other people.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I missed this thread the first time around..

I had this problem for a while as well, but got over it after a couple of months. Made a complete and utter break with my friends that still studied, and intesified contact with those that where working. In the end, you'll get to see those that studied at that time in at max a few years again anyway. The university style partying/drinking etc. where just to much to keep up when working...

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its tough. Best advice is to find three or four clubs/interests/hobbies that you can do. That should ensure that at least every alternate evening you'll be out meeting people and talking to them about stuff you enjoy. If nothing else it fills up that yawning void of time. I picked some random activities and tried them out at local clubs, some I have stuck with and some I have ditched:

Toastmasters - Public Speaking group

Archery

Round Table Society - does charity and heavy drinking for the local community

Local Council - Always looking for volunteers with skills or if you are more politically inclined then you can try and get elected.

Chartered Institute of ______ - I joined up with the institute that represents my career path and got onto their board. Helping to organise events for them will allow you to network like a motherfucker without feel awkward. Great for the career and gets you out of the house.

Speed Dating - You don't have to be looking for love for these events. I took a course in body language, and find it amazingly interesting to read and analyse people in that scenario. you have a good laugh and maybe even meet someone that you don't want to vomit all over...

The trick is to keep busy. You'll be meeting millions of people, increase your social skills which will also make it easier to pick up new friends, filling the time that you'd normally spend being depressed.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe its just me but even though I partied very hard (and had the grades that reflected it) in college I really didn't have a hard time adjusting to being separated from my friends. You can't live in the past. Do your best to maintain the relationships with people who are moving (which Facebook is fantastic for) but put effort into forming new ones. You'll be fine.

Reaction score
So I graduated university 2 years ago and something started happening... everyone I went to school with started going their separate ways. Alot of them are in living in different places or at different places in their lives, like getting married. Meanwhile, I'm here on my own. If I scrolled through my cell right now to find someone to hang out with, I could probably find 2 people. I'm single and just plain hating it. It gets pretty depressing to just go to work and come home. Even if I want to go on vacation and get away from it, who would I go with? Lately I've been thinking I should go on one of those contiki tours, but even then it might be a little weird for me to go by myself. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

I'm here in Sydney, Australia and thats exactly how I feel. I'm in my final semester and I'm absolutely not looking forward to the next year. I find some solace in knowing that someone from around the world is feeling the same thing.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) If you don't have a close relationship with your family, get on that. They can be the best friends you will have. I know many will say "I can't stand my parents! No way!" But your dad or mom when you were 17 and now are probably vastly different people. Get to know them. If you have siblings, get to know them as well.

2) Move to a real city. If I understand, the OP is in Edmonton. Come on, man. Nobody who has a semblance of a life can be happy in Edmonton. Get out of there. And forget the whole "There's an oil boom!" Anything less than riches beyond your wildest dreams isn't worth it to live in a city that crappy.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
This thread feels like therapy!

Anyway, I like this suggestion a lot. The bold one, obviously.

1) If you don't have a close relationship with your family, get on that. They can be the best friends you will have. I know many will say "I can't stand my parents! No way!" But your dad or mom when you were 17 and now are probably vastly different people. Get to know them. If you have siblings, get to know them as well.
2) Move to a real city. If I understand, the OP is in Edmonton. Come on, man. Nobody who has a semblance of a life can be happy in Edmonton. Get out of there. And forget the whole "There's an oil boom!" Anything less than riches beyond your wildest dreams isn't worth it to live in a city that crappy.

YOLO EMSHI

Reaction score
I'm here in Sydney, Australia and thats exactly how I feel. I'm in my final semester and I'm absolutely not looking forward to the next year. I find some solace in knowing that someone from around the world is feeling the same thing.

Most people in Sydney don't move around a lot...

I mean yeah, after graduation everyone will be off on their world vacations but most of them come back. Maybe they'll move to Melbourne but that's about it.

Where are you graduating from?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's only one thing to enjoy after college, and that's money. Try to fill your life with as much as it as you can, because life after college is very empty, you're right.

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so fill your life with money then die? good plan

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Foldtold

Reaction score
I'm from a big city, and what I've observed is most adults have little to no friends (aside from their workplace). They merely wake up, attend work by themselves, and go home by themselves. Most of their vacation is with their families. Is this to be expected? Nothing wrong with that of course.

Last edited:

Kiwi Man

Reaction score

I'm from a big city, and what I've observed is most adults have little to no friends (aside from their workplace). They merely wake up, attend work by themselves, and go home by themselves. Most of their vacation is with their families. Is this to be expected? Nothing wrong with that of course.

Most likely. sadly.

However, some of us may work by themselves or go back by themselves, but once they get home, their family members are waiting for them. If you are single, that is pretty much fucked up because bachelor life doesn't last forever.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's only one thing to enjoy after college, and that's money. Try to fill your life with as much as it as you can, because life after college is very empty, you're right.

My life after university has rocked. I've had more time to spend with my family and friends and more time to pursue my hobbies. Plus, I'm not cripplingly poor anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads