• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Liars

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think this forum is a filter for liars? I do not think so. So who could be a liar here? Who is a redneck worker (or farmer), is short and bald, wears leather pants, elastic ties on Sunday and eat all days at Popeys? but Claims to have millions, to eat in best restaurants in the world, to be attractive and intelligent, to wear the best bespoke suits of the world... Who is like that But claimes to be like that

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't own leather pants, and I have never, ever, eaten at Popeyes.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
What's wrong with Popeye's??

They have good spicy chicken and red beans and rice.

Bradford

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own leather pants, and I have never, ever, eaten at Popeyes.
But you have the moustache.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't think that it matters much. This is the internet - we are all frauds on one level or another, simply because we realize that nobody can see us. There is no body language here, no facial expression. How would we know if someone was joking or serious if they didn't indicate one way or another? Many people aren't very good at expressing themselves online, because most of their communication in real life is non verbal. In that sense - do any of us really "know" each other anyways?

How can we prove that you are really who YOU say you are?

Not that I'm doubting you Ernest. I have very little doubt of your authenticity. BUT how do I REALLY know? It's quite possible that everyone who has "met" you are actually people who are either "in" on the joke, or you yourself posting under another name. I don't know any of them either. It is impossible to prove, and therefore not worth wasting your time and energy worrying about.

If someone claims to be a high roller in life... so what? If the information he is posting here is accurate, and he engages in worthwhile conversations and brings up valid points - who cares if he's really a poor college student somewhere. Half the fun of being online is that you can be anything you want.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Speaking of which... I found this amusing, but J mentioned the other day that perhaps many of you folks assume that he's asian. I found that hilarious. I don't know why. He's actually Julius Erving... aka Dr. J. Black guy, played basketball, in the 70's had a huge afro. See picture.
jerving.gif

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If someone claims to be a high roller in life... so what? If the information he is posting here is accurate, and he engages in worthwhile conversations and brings up valid points - who cares if he's really a poor college student somewhere. Half the fun of being online is that you can be anything you want.
I agree but trying to prove that people are lying when they don't seem to be really aware of what they are talking = a pleasure

Exemple = a guy who claims to make not realistic things like making millions while he spends half of his life on a forum talking about clothes and wears a $200 watch.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Exemple = a guy who claims to make not realistic things like making millions while he spends half of his life on a forum talking about clothes and wears a $200 watch.
Ooooh, is this like Blue's Clues?

"Look, a clue."

(searching watch threads............)

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim,April 01 2005,21:25
Speaking of which... I found this amusing, but J mentioned the other day that perhaps many of you folks assume that he's asian. I found that hilarious. I don't know why. He's actually Julius Erving... aka Dr. J. Black guy, played basketball, in the 70's had a huge afro. See picture.
jerving.gif

LOL- was this the result of our IM conversation the other night? somehow we started talking about dating japanese girls...oh, because of his icon, and I asked him if he was asian. Good to have cleared this all up. Will there be a basketball tips forum section opening up?
No... he charges money for that sort of thing.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm doubting you Ernest. I have very little doubt of your authenticity. BUT how do I REALLY know? It's quite possible that everyone who has "met" you are actually people who are either "in" on the joke, or you yourself posting under another name. I don't know any of them either.
In fact, you met Dave and i spend 70 hours with his girlfriend...

I am unemployed and live with my parents but i am a multi millioner so i do not need to work and can help my family.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
jerving.gif
You mean he's not Asian?.?.?.?.?.?.
wow.gif
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Jon.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
(Tokyo Slim @ April 02 2005,06:17) If someone claims to be a high roller in life... so what? If the information he is posting here is accurate, and he engages in worthwhile conversations and brings up valid points - who cares if he's really a poor college student somewhere. Half the fun of being online is that you can be anything you want.
I agree but trying to prove that people are lying when they don't seem to be really aware of what they are talking = a pleasure Exemple = a guy who claims to make not realistic things like making millions while he spends half of his life on a forum talking about clothes and wears a $200 watch.
Ernest, have you never read a newspaper or seen television? First of all, millionaires generally can't dress themselves. The fact that they own cheaply made (if not just downright inexpensive) stuff is HIGHLY feasible. I have run into Bill Gates on a few occasions, and let me tell you - he is NOT concerned with his dress. I'm talking dirty grey sweats here. I've seen him wear dockers slacks and a $20 wrinkled shirt. He is the worlds wealthiest man (by far) and he also has plenty of free time on his hands should he so desire it. I believe he maintains quite a few hobbies to busy himself, one of which is browsing numerous forums and blogs. This I have heard from the man himself.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
(Tokyo Slim @ April 02 2005,06:17) Not that I'm doubting you Ernest. I have very little doubt of your authenticity. BUT how do I REALLY know? It's quite possible that everyone who has "met" you are actually people who are either "in" on the joke, or you yourself posting under another name. I don't know any of them either.
In fact, you met Dave and i spend 70 hours with his girlfriend... I am unemployed and live with my parents but i am a multi millioner so i do not need to work and can help my family.
Ah, but you could BE Dave...
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads