LF: Tailor in Waterloo Ontario region

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dethredic, Jan 16, 2011.

1. dethredic

dethredic Member

I am looking to get my first quality suit. Some suggestions would be great. Also I don't have a high budget, so not someone who does only high quality stuff.

I have no experience with any of this.

2. ganziyama

ganziyama Active Member

I live in KW... are you looking to get bespoke or just looking for a reliable tailor for alterations?

3. GBear

GBear Senior member

I also lived in Waterloo. I would suggest going to Toronto to find a tailor.

4. dethredic

dethredic Member

I live in KW... are you looking to get bespoke or just looking for a reliable tailor for alterations?
    I am undecided at this point. Still doing research. Depends on the price I guess.
    I also lived in Waterloo. I would suggest going to Toronto to find a tailor.
    I don't have the time because I am a student.

5. ganziyama

ganziyama Active Member

There is absolutely no way anyone can give you a half-decent answer if you don't know what you want out of a tailoring service. You should figure that out before you post something so vague.

6. dethredic

dethredic Member

There is absolutely no way anyone can give you a half-decent answer if you don't know what you want out of a tailoring service. You should figure that out before you post something so vague.

As I said I am new to this whole thing.
    Maybe you can give me a recommendation for each?

7. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

There are no good tailors. PM me and I can give you details of the person I use for minor alterations.

8. GBear

GBear Senior member

Not sure about the prices around that region but for bespoke, you're looking to at least $3,000. Lol, so what. Both I and ganziyama are students as well. You can find time or just look into alterations. You cannot buy any "quality" suits in KW. There simply aren't any stores. You'll need to travel down to Toronto anyway.

Where are you at btw? UW or Laurier?

9. dethredic

dethredic Member

Not sure about the prices around that region but for bespoke, you're looking to at least $3,000. Lol, so what. Both I and ganziyama are students as well. You can find time or just look into alterations. You cannot buy any "quality" suits in KW. There simply aren't any stores. You'll need to travel down to Toronto anyway.

Where are you at btw? UW or Laurier?

uw

10. ganziyama

ganziyama Active Member

Since you're a student, have you looked into online options? There are many threads about it on styleforum and afterwards you can always get it altered. I needed the sides taken in of a casual button-down shirt so I just took it to Conestoga Mall (Altered Image) as a test drive. I can't recommend it obviously for a wardrobe staple such as a suit but for a cheap casual button-down they did a decent job though they do not really cater to a picky sartorial market.

11. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

What are you looking to have done? As I stated, I have someone who is more than capable of doing minor alterations at reasonable prices.

12. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

13. GBear

GBear Senior member

The only half decent place in Waterloo to buy a OTR suit is at Channer's. The places are Fairview and Conestoga are TERRIBLE.

14. bing

bing Senior member

i'm not from the KW but there is TONS of bucks there what with RIM and the other big boys... there has to be decent tailors in the area... they're just not targeting students.

talk to the best dressed professor you have and he'll help you find who Balsillie uses [​IMG]

15. dethredic

dethredic Member

I am taking Engineering.

I guess I will check out some of the OTR suits. I will have a chance to see a tailor in TO in the summer.