• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lexus RX 350

G79

Reaction score
Im out to buy a new car and I suck at haggling. I dont wanna be robber by the car stealerships and so I was hoping someone couldtell me what a good price on the RX350 would be.

All I could finagle so far was

$41,848.80 - (Out the door price) - but its just the standard model with the premium package

$42328.94 - (Out the door price)- for the premium plus package (a 1800 more than premium package as per lexus.com)

Are any good deals ? I was told the former was 300$ over invoice and the latter being 400$ over invoice.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance
G

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can tell you it's a great vehicle, my wife has one and we love it.

Re: price, I would simply use the Lexus website and email all dealerships within x miles of you. Tell them what you're looking for color/optionswise, that you are ready to buy, etc. and see what they come back with. Once you start getting prices, you can play the dealerships off each other until you get the right combo of price/dealership location/extras like free oil changes.

This is what I did a few years back and it was ridiculously easy. If they weren't willing to come down to the price range I wanted, I simply said thanks and moved on. Almost all, within only a few days, would then come back with lower offers.

Check out edmunds.com to find the actual invoice price and go from there.

G79

Reaction score
thanks bigbad... hopefully i can do that ..time to make some calls i guess

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My mother has a RX 300 and i think it's great. Nice size, car-like fuel economy. If I were in the market for that size car and price range it would be on my list.

G79

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
It's a chick car.
Heck I dont see how you came up with that ! But hey, to each his own opinion. ... that apart, anything else to be concerned about ?

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
Are you financing....? If so, through Lexus Financial or your own source? Obviously they're going to have more flexibility on the deal if their company is handling the financing. On the other hand go in as if you were paying cash. Don't discuss any financing until after you've settled on a price. Dealerships are very skilled at playing with the money...hocus pocus right in front of your eyes. Having said all that... We always own two cars at any one time, one for the wife and one for me. Seven of our last ten cars have been Lexus, including an RX300, and I've loved them all. I've heard the RX "chick car" comment on more than a couple of occasions...and I thinks it's BS. The RX is absolutely one of the best vehicles in its class. And it's a pleasure to drive. My last car was a '98 GS400....I took a bit of a chance when I bought it in its first model year, but it's now considered a classic. A year and half ago, when it came time to sell my GS, my needs had since changed and I was now looking for an SUV or a "Crossover" (after getting into knifemaking 9 years ago, I've often had to transport such things as lumber and supplies for building and expanding my workshop, along with the occasional piece of heavy workshop equipment...bandsaws, belt grinders, drill presses, even a small mill). After a ton of research (including joining a couple of online auto forums) it came down to a choice between the RX350 and the Infinity FX35. I know I couldn't have gone wrong with either vehicle, but I did wind up with the FX...and I have been in love with it ever since (the gas mileage is horredous, but damn it's fun to drive!). For my next car I'll probably take a close look at their new EX (it's more or less a smaller version of the FX). I will also, most certainly, take another very close look at the RX. BTW- My wife is currently driving an IS250. Wonderful car...Not quite enough power to satisfy me (If it had been for me I would have gotten the IS350), but she's a school teacher and it's still plenty quick enough for her (she drives like the proverbial "little old lady"). It's perfect for her needs, especially with the all wheel drive (getting to school on snowy days). Like everything from Lexus, the interior is great-looking, the fit and finish are impeccable, and like most Toyota products, it's absolutely trouble free. One thing about Lexus....Nothing holds it's value like a Lexus. When I sold my GS it was 10 yrs old, with 150k miles, and yet I still got $10,000 for it...cash.
2thumbsup.gif
Dennis

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by G79
Heck I dont see how you came up with that ! But hey, to each his own opinion. ... that apart, anything else to be concerned about ?

Not that it should affect your decision, but it is a chick car
smile.gif
. Think soccer mom.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The chick car comment is probably because they do some heavy marketing towards women with those vehicles. I do a lot of design work for Lexus dealers and I notice this quite often. That doesn't mean a guy can't drive one and it not nearly as much of a "chick car" as say a convertible bug.

They are redesigning it soon however if that matters at all. The current design is way past the design lifecycle.

I recommend what everyone else said. Get invoice prices, talk to various dealerships in a given area and make them compete for your sale. End of month is always best as they try to move product to meet quotas. You can also usually get good deals if you know a new model is soon to arrive. I would even do some research online to see what others have paid in your area.

G79

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that had something to say, while I may not 'get it' bout the chick car its possibly because I dont watch much TV (or any at all to be honest) and the soccer mom marketing, I can see how it is possible.

Having said as much I am thinking of an SC now but even if I financed the car and got it, im a bit concerned about the gas mileage! I hear the RX is bad (from myy hippie hybrid loving friends) but then I hear the SC is worse!

This is possibly a long drawn out process for me but thank you one and all again for your words of advice,

Regards
G

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by G79
Thanks to everyone that had something to say, while I may not 'get it' bout the chick car its possibly because I dont watch much TV (or any at all to be honest) and the soccer mom marketing, I can see how it is possible.

Having said as much I am thinking of an SC now but even if I financed the car and got it, im a bit concerned about the gas mileage! I hear the RX is bad (from myy hippie hybrid loving friends) but then I hear the SC is worse!

This is possibly a long drawn out process for me but thank you one and all again for your words of advice,

Regards
G

The SC has a very nice looking interior.

kmwrestle

Reaction score
Have you decide which one you want yet?

I can help you with negotiation once you have picked out a car

G79

Reaction score
why thats generous of you. I will let you know once ive decided

kmwrestle

Reaction score
Being a sales manager for a rather large dealership for the past 3.5 years i have some expertise =]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads