• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lexus GS versus IS

jerry34

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing one of these. I don't need a big car, but neither has any real gas advantages over the next, I would be getting a V6 GS. Ignoring the price differences, which would you purchase and why?

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who has an 04' GS (wife's car) in the garage, unless you're needing the slight extra interior room, I don't really see much reason to choose the GS over the IS, especially given the price difference.

jerry34

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
As someone who has an 04' GS (wife's ar) in the garage, unless you're needing the slight extra interior room, I don't really see much reason to choose the GS over the IS, especially given the price difference.

I kinda agree, even though I like the "bigger" look of the GS....

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am actually looking at the IS at my next vehicle.

Personally I would choose the IS because to me I don't need the larger size, I don't haul people around or have children, and I tend to like smaller cars in general anyways. I also like the increased MPG you get in the IS.

If you do need however to haul people around or have anything more than children in the back seat you may want to check it out, the back seat is really tight on leg room. Size is really the only major advantage of the GS.

The toughest thing for me would be IS250 or IS350. I like the performance aspect of the 350 however no AWD and the less MPG would be a problem.

Dekayte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
I am actually looking at the IS at my next vehicle.

Personally I would choose the IS because to me I don't need the larger size, I don't haul people around or have children, and I tend to like smaller cars in general anyways. I also like the increased MPG you get in the IS.

If you do need however to haul people around or have anything more than children in the back seat you may want to check it out, the back seat is really tight on leg room. Size is really the only major advantage of the GS.

The toughest thing for me would be IS250 or IS350. I like the performance aspect of the 350 however no AWD and the less MPG would be a problem.

My thoughts exactly. I've driven the IS250 around for a while and I was looking into getting a IS350 since it's "better" but decided to go the BMW route instead.

If you absolutely need the space or if you really like the look of the GS then it shouldn't be too hard of a decision. Personally, I just like the look of the IS a lot more and I also like driving the IS more.

Besides we all know, if you're going Lexus you have to go LS
smile.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the IS looks really sharp.

bkk

Reaction score
Pssssh, just go for the IS-F
wink.gif
As far as size goes, I feel claustrophobic in the IS. I prefer sporty compact cars, but if I were to buy a Lexus, I would go for the GS.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have driven both a lot and I prefer the IS but the interior cabin dimensions are narrower (less headroom as well) if you are a big guy.

The IS looks better and handles better and is quicker.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsherman02
Get the GS...much more of a true Lexus

In what way?

That's like saying the C class isn't a true Mercedes or a 3 series isn't a true BMW when in fact these are the makers largest sellers and the models they spend the most time concentrating on because they make or break the company.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think (personally) the IS is one of the few truly stylish Lexis body designs. I'd go for the new F type ... although that wouldn't address your mileage concerns.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
I think (personally) the IS is one of the few truly stylish Lexis body designs. I'd go for the new F type ... although that wouldn't address your mileage concerns.
I was really excited about the F-types potential, but from what I've read BMW still has nothing to worry about.

Regardless, next time I take my wife's car in, I wouldn't mind checking one out.....if they allow.

Skip87

Reaction score
For a new car, I would get the GS because the restyled body looks really slick. You don't sound like you have a heavy foot, so the IS may not match your style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics