• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lexus Explodes (possible fuel line recall)

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/04/doctor.car.blast/ This could come up smelling bad for Lexus. There was a massive recall on several models because of fuel line issues, brakes, and power steering assembly. The dealership replaced mine, and made it seem as though it wasn't a big issue, apparently this may not be the case in rare circumstances... Assuming it was the fuel line, and the dealerships simply are not able to replace parts on so many vehicles in a timely manner, this presents a huge problem. It takes about one full day to replace the parts, but it's my understanding that there are several hundred thousand recalls...

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where does it say fuel line in the article?

My sister-in-law, who is currently pregnant, is driving one of these.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Where does it say fuel line in the article? My sister-in-law, who is currently pregnant, is driving one of these.
It doesn't, but the fuel line was recalled on all the models that were eligible for the recall (and this model was). They are still investigating to see if foul play was involved. It says "However police do not believe foul play was involved, saying the incident could have been caused by a malfunction with Dr. Trent Pierce's hybrid Lexus SUV, according to affiliate WREG." Based on the recall, it would have to be the fuel line if it was a malfunction.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time to update the thread title. CNN is reporting: "Police say bomb placed in doctor's car".

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
Time to update the thread title. CNN is reporting: "Police say bomb placed in doctor's car".

Stupid ******* CNN.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CNN is blocked on the work computer. Can anyone tell me what Lexus models are having these issues.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
CNN is blocked on the work computer. Can anyone tell me what Lexus models are having these issues.

It was a RX hybrid.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On January 16, 2009, Toyota filed a Defect Information Report (DIR) with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regarding certain 2006 2007 GS 300/350, 2006 2008 IS 250/350 and 2007 2008 LS 460/460L vehicles. The involved vehicles are equipped with aluminum fuel delivery pipes (fuel rails). Lexus has determined that ethanol fuels with low moisture content will corrode the internal surface of the fuel rails. As this condition progresses the engine malfunction light (MIL) may illuminate. Over time, the corrosion will create a pinhole resulting in fuel leakage. SSC 9LA will be launched to replace the Fuel Delivery Pipes in the affected vehicles.

There are approximately 43,700 GS 300 (24,500 2WD, 19,200 AWD), 23,700 GS 350 (14,000 2WD, 9,700 AWD), 85,800 IS 250 (54,000 2WD, 31,800 AWD), 24,900 IS 350, and 36,400 LS 460 (25,500 LS 460, 10,900 LS 460L) vehicles involved in the U.S.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
plain.gif
Not really a big deal if its only enthanol fuel with low moisture content...

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
plain.gif
Not really a big deal if its only enthanol fuel with low moisture content...

Maybe, but it was a big enough deal that the dealerships are currently performing about 2 thousand dollars worth of labor/parts for free on a couple hundred thousand vehicles.

garyjtalley

Reaction score
I work for the local newspaper here in West Memphis, and it is apparently a bomb of some sort, not a hybrid malfunction. Although it could be an exploit of the hybrid technology (As much an exploit as soaking a rag in gasoline and stuffing it in the tank). He was outside the vehicle looking at the exposed hood, presumably because there was something wrong with the car. If you want high-res pictures from the local news source where I work visit my site.

http://shutupandlistenpodcast.com/ju...-investigates/

http://shutupandlistenpodcast.com/wp...02/hyrbid2.jpg

http://shutupandlistenpodcast.com/wp.../02/hyrbid.jpg

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Maybe, but it was a big enough deal that the dealerships are currently performing about 2 thousand dollars worth of labor/parts for free on a couple hundred thousand vehicles.

Yeah, becuase they're obligated to as it is a safety concern. AFuel leaks can lead to underhood fires. Generally they don't lead to A-Team style vehicle explosions.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, its free for the customer to have the recal performed, but the Technician gets paid a set rate of hours for doing it and so does the Service Writer/Manager and so on up the line. Corporate pays for it. It seems like these recalls always come when buisiness is really slow in the shop. I was still working for toyota when they had that first really big recall, for the lower ball joints on pretty much every truck, then we had the one for I think the pitman arms or something for older trucks. It just so happened that when we had those coming in was also after about four months of being totally dead as far as work goes. So it saved more than a few of our asses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads