• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lexol - Pump Spray or regular bottle?

Bob01

Reaction score
Hey All,

Well just put my orders for my first Allen Edmonds and Edward Greens - now Im wondering about their care...

In addition to polish and creams, the consensus looks like a cleaner and conditioner is also needed (as well as sole/heel edger). Lexol (both the cleaner and conditioner) seems to highly endorsed by many on here. Perusing on ebay I notice it comes in a spray bottle and regular pour bottle - I would think the spray version would be better?

On the topic of cleaner and conditioners - can I get away with just using these 2 items for a while (ie a few months)?

Thanks,

Bob

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does not really matter, as you are not supposed to spray Lexol directly onto the shoe anyway. The direction say to spray onto a sponge or cloth and wipe onto the shoes. It comes out in a pretty narrow stream, not a fine mist.

Are you asking if you can just condition and not shine for a few months? It shouldn't damage your shoes (I don't think) but a wax polish will cover and I think protect from scuffs and scratches.

Bob01

Reaction score
Thanks! Haven't seen the back of the bottle.

For just using lexol, its comming from my laziness. Not sure I would actually polish/wax/edge my shoes every month or less. Then again, it looks like I better start getting into that habit...

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Lexol cleaner as well as the conditioner, both in the small pour bottles. The conditionner is great, but I've found the cleaner to be a ***** to use. You're supposed to work the cleaner into the leather until a lather forms, then wipe it down with a damp cloth. Problem is, the cleaner doesn't really lather up and is penetrates the leather so quickly that it's hard to wipe away. I ended up just rinsing my shoes under running water to get rid of the cleaner.

I haven't used the cleaner since, opting for a full acetone rub down whenever I need to remove built up wax, followed by 2 liberal applications of conditioner before (re)waxing. Results are great!

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is a great topic as I have been contemplating how I ask the same/similar question. In particular, with brand new AE's fresh out of the box, would the steps be:

1. Conditioner
2. Wax polish
3. Buff shine and rewax as needed
4. On wax buildup go to step 1

??

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
this is a great topic as I have been contemplating how I ask the same/similar question. In particular, with brand new AE's fresh out of the box, would the steps be:

1. Conditioner
2. Wax polish
3. Buff shine and rewax as needed
4. On wax buildup go to step 1

??

On any dress shoes out of the box, I go:

1. Conditioner, overnight drying time
2. Conditioner, overnight drying time
3. Light Wax polish
4. Buff shine and rewax as needed
5. On wax buildup, apply acetone (nail polish remover) with jumbo cotton pads to strip, overnight drying time, then go to step 1.

Admittedly, I am very OCD. I'm sure wearing them straight out of the box would be fine, unless you're talking about some vintage nos shoes dating from way back...

Forgot to mention that Crema Alpina is highly touted here as far as conditioners are concerned, no experience with it myself though.

sf_esq

Reaction score
I typically apply two coats of meltionian shoe cream polish (black or brown, depending on shoe) prior to wearing. I'm partial to the cream polish because it accomplishes both moisturizing/conditioning and polishing in one step. My shoes have held up well doing this. I also apply edge dressing prior to wearing. My belief is that if you apply a couple of coats of polish, when you first scuff them, you're scuffing polish, not the finish.

paper clip

Reaction score
I use Lexol wipes - for both the cleaner and the conditioner (the blue bottle shown below is for vinyl/plastic I use it on my crocs /wink/)

tolae_2017_8162503

You can get the wipes at auto parts stores.

I use 1 wipe per pair of shoes, depending on how dirty they are (usually not too dirty).

I wipe the cleaner on, then wipe it away with an old t-shirt.
Then, I wipe on the conditioner and let it dry, and then wipe with a t-shirt.
Then, I wipe on shoe cream the color of the shoe with an old t-shirt, let sit for a while and then wipe that off with a t-shirt.
Then, I apply a light coat of wax with a small horsehair brush, let that sit for a while and then wipe that off with a t-shirt.
I then buff with a horsehair brush.

Bob01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
On any dress shoes out of the box, I go:

1. Conditioner, overnight drying time
2. Conditioner, overnight drying time
3. Light Wax polish
4. Buff shine and rewax as needed
5. On wax buildup, apply acetone (nail polish remover) with jumbo cotton pads to strip, overnight drying time, then go to step 1.

Admittedly, I am very OCD. I'm sure wearing them straight out of the box would be fine, unless you're talking about some vintage nos shoes dating from way back...

Forgot to mention that Crema Alpina is highly touted here as far as conditioners are concerned, no experience with it myself though.

Does Conditioner penetrate waxes/creams? For monthly/maintenance polishings, would you need to strip the polish/wax/cream before applying the conditioner?

Thanks,

Bob

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I condition a number of my shoes more often than I polish them. I don't use Lexol though, and I'm not a big fan of it for footwear. YMMV.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob01
Does Conditioner penetrate waxes/creams? For monthly/maintenance polishings, would you need to strip the polish/wax/cream before applying the conditioner?

Thanks,

Bob

My guess is that if you want the conditioner to fully penetrate the leather and have the most beneficial effect, it might be best to strip any old polish/wax/cream before applying it. Mind you, I've never bothered stripping new shoes before conditioning them, although they do come waxed straight out of the box...

I've found a good waxing job goes a long way. I can usually go a few wearings before I need to go through the whole routine again; a quick brushing followed by buffing with old pantyhose is often enough to bring out the shine. It also wears down the last coat of polish/wax/cream you did apply, leaving you with less crap to strip next time your shoes are due for a full wax.

As much as conditioning can be beneficial, I guess you don't want to overcondition either. The frequency at which you need to do so probably depends on how often you wear a particular pair of shoes. Your climate likely has an effect as well.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you apply conditioner to sides and/or bottoms of soles?

Why/why not?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
Do you apply conditioner to sides and/or bottoms of soles?

Why/why not?

I don't simply because I've never felt they needed it; I've never noticed my soles getting dry or brittled. Also, I haven't seen it recommended by shoe care product manufaturers. I should get some edge dressing though.

Other, more advanced, shoe afficionados might be able to say whether there is an actual need to do so or not.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the purpose of edge dressing?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the purpose of edge dressing?

Covering inevitable scuffs and wear to the sides of the soles? From my understanding, purely cosmetic purpose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads