Levi's Workwear by Filson - Now @ www.levis.com

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by spudnik99, Aug 10, 2010.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I can't get into this jacket either

it's too small.

2. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

No one wearing it in this thread is wearing it as "workwear" so whatever. I can't get into this jacket in the casual/urban/suburban/faux workwear that its being worn as.

Well there is a difference between actual workwear and something inspired by it. This obviously falls into the category of workwear since they decided to use the oil finish tin cloth.

Maybe this is more align to what you want http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...edProductSize=

3. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

Well there is a difference between actual workwear and something inspired by it. This obviously falls into the category of workwear since they decided to use the oil finish tin cloth.

Maybe this is more align to what you want http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...edProductSize=

Please don't be condescending. I think I know what the hell workwear is and I think this has been discussed on this forum ad nauseam.

Filson may be a workwear brand, but there is no fucking way this Levi's collab is marketing to anyone other than those influenced by the the hype of the mainstream workwear/americana trend.

You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

4. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

Please don't be condescending. I think I know what the hell workwear is and I think this has been discussed on this forum ad nauseam.

Filson may be a workwear brand, but there is no fucking way this Levi's collab is marketing to anyone other than those influenced by the the hype of the mainstream workwear/americana trend.

You stated

Which really... This is something someone WOULD work in (yes even a barn) because of the functionality of it. However, that doesn't mean it can't be worn in a fashionable way either. Furthermore, I wasn't being condescending. You complained about the jacket being too "workwear" and I linked you to an alternative. How is that condescending?

5. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

That kind of proves my point. This is a jacket you would wear while working in a barn. The people who this jacket is being marketed to and are probably going to purchase it are going to be wearing it casually and not be working in a barn.

I'm a fan of the fashion inspired workwear, but if I saw someone wearing a stiff as hell Filson/Levi's oilcloth jacket for a night out--that obviously hadn't been "worked" in--it would look out of place and too try hard.

Which was my point--the condescending attitude I was calling you on was when you tried to explain to me what workwear was. I think I know what workwear is.

6. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

No one wearing it in this thread is wearing it as "workwear" so whatever. I can't get into this jacket in the casual/urban/suburban/faux workwear that its being worn as.
    Look at what you're trying to buy in your sig (WWM jacket) and then at your fit pics, and maybe reconsider calling people out for wearing faux workwear...

7. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

Look at what you're trying to buy in your sig (WWM jacket) and then at your fit pics, and maybe reconsider calling people out for wearing faux workwear...
    Sigh.... I haven't called anyone out for wearing faux workwear. I even just said in my last post I'm a fan of fashion inspired workwear or "faux workwear." My whole fucking point was I know that the people who are buying this jacket are buying it for the same fucking reason I buy EG or WWM. My only comment on the jacket from the very beginning is--for as much as I like the heritage/workwear/Americana trend right now--this jacket is a bit too much for me to want to wear casually. It reminds me of when I worked in my barn as a kid.

8. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Pretty satisfied with the jacket. [​IMG]
    Hey look your ordered your size and it fits you properly.

9. srgprod

srgprod Senior member

Levis store in Santa Monica (3rd Street) has the Filson Oil Cloth Jacket in Large and Medium. They only got 6 pieces.

10. Tigris

Tigris Well-Known Member

Did you lose weight? After seeing the flash pics above I'm definitely glad it was sold out. That waxed sheen would piss me off after a while.
    I picked up a Levi's trucker jacket (not made by filson) and it's pretty similar to this but without the oil sheen. Here: http://coolspotters.com/actors/zac-e...#medium-807841 I dig it.

11. raven37457

raven37457 Senior member

Here are fit pics. The jacket is a size large. I am wearing a thick Barbour lambswool crew neck sweater. For reference, I am 5' 10", 170 lbs. and a size 40 jacket.

I am pleased with the jacket. The fit is slim but I have room in it. My torso is wide so it may look more fitted than it is. In my opinion, the jacket is not very oily. The construction looks and feels great. I expect to have this piece for many years.

Updated: Here is a better photograph. My previous pictures were taken too close and pointed upward.

[​IMG]

Updated pic

12. Peon

Peon Well-Known Member

That kind of proves my point. This is a jacket you would wear while working in a barn. The people who this jacket is being marketed to and are probably going to purchase it are going to be wearing it casually and not be working in a barn.

I'm a fan of the fashion inspired workwear, but if I saw someone wearing a stiff as hell Filson/Levi's oilcloth jacket for a night out--that obviously hadn't been "worked" in--it would look out of place and too try hard.

Which was my point--the condescending attitude I was calling you on was when you tried to explain to me what workwear was. I think I know what workwear is.

Totally agree with you.

13. tlieu

tlieu Well-Known Member

adamha21, to say that this jacket is what you would wear while working in a barn is very close-minded.
    That's like saying people who wear raw denim are trying too hard cause it hasn't been worked in.

Also, this jacket has only been out for about a week and you think that dude you saw wearing this jacket was trying too hard??? A jacket with a nice patina takes time no matter where or what the jacket is being used for.

On a side note, Americana/workwear stuff is being sold everywhere now and I was shocked to see it at H&M. Let's face it, this Americana stuff is overplayed.

I ordered this jacket in a size small so if anyone has a Medium and want to sell or trade, just the name the price.

14. tlieu

tlieu Well-Known Member

Also, please don't swear. There's no point to it. It just makes you sound weak.
    We're all friends here, man.
    No disrespect.

I also forgot to mention that I plan on using this jacket as a light rain jacket light those vintage oiled Belstaff jackets.

Sigh....

I haven't called anyone out for wearing faux workwear. I even just said in my last post I'm a fan of fashion inspired workwear or "faux workwear."

My whole fucking point was I know that the people who are buying this jacket are buying it for the same fucking reason I buy EG or WWM.

My only comment on the jacket from the very beginning is--for as much as I like the heritage/workwear/Americana trend right now--this jacket is a bit too much for me to want to wear casually. It reminds me of when I worked in my barn as a kid.

15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

This is a dumb argument. It's not for everyone. Who cares.