1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Levi's Vintage vs Japanese denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kolecho, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^Great blog post mr horrible. Im so looking forward to the shirts.

But why oh why, LVC, when will new cotton duck repros show up?

2. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Senior member

^^Great blog post mr horrible. Im so looking forward to the shirts. But why oh why, LVC, when will new cotton duck repros show up?
    Unfortunately, they were not very popular both times around. I remember when they first produced the single pocket version, which was almost like a cotton duck Nevada jean, they had dozens on sale in the Regent store that Christmas. They weren't particularly popular when introduced in a 2-pocket version, either. However, if your Jonesing for a pair, try calling Cinch. The manager Richard had found a few pairs last time I went in - I'm not certain whether that was for sale, or simply to show people, but it's worth a call. He's been going through the cupboards and has a few intersting finds... it was good to compare different years of repros (ie the 55 in versions from 99ish to 2007) - there can be big differences in the fabric year to year. HJJ agreed re the 55 - it's the classic late denim, which is pretty hairy post soak. looks very different to the 47, although I remain a fan, it's a definitive jean and fades in beautifully with care.. (47 on left, 55 on right, both unwashed, but with buckets of lens-flare) [​IMG]

3. erbs

erbs Senior member

Hi Paul! Its good to see you around here. The SuFu refugees keep streaming in...

Do you (or HJJ) know if the current LVC collection is still made in the USA? Have they found a new factory following the close of Taylor Toggs?

4. smoothie

smoothie Senior member

lol, Seriously, i do see it as a trend, I really do. I t reminds me of music trends, fashion is always like that.

No offense, its your "experience" because you don't have any experience at all.

If you been around or paid attention to fashion for last 20 years you would know that what you say is way off the mark.

5. aclosedbox

aclosedbox Member

We'll see, i said it's my observation. I didn't say this is the end all be all facts of life. How long before Gap, and AnF n all the mall brands start using Dry denim, really how long do you think its gonna be? Probably not too far away.

i end up in express & abercrombie sometimes when i'm at the mall with my fiance

earlier this year EXPRESS had a raw men's jean. this season they have women's jeans with dark unfaded washes called funny things like "tidal rinse" that have tags warning that the fabric will bleed on things.

http://www.abercrombie.com/webapp/wc...-1_12261_12203
    ^^the denim on these actually looks almost identical to apc fabric in person (without so much of the starched sheen) but the fabric is softer than some of my khakis. In an a&f first, it appeared to be 100% free of distressing and logos other than the arctuates & leather patch. The best looking non-raw jean I've seen for less than 400$. Suburban white girls could definitely do worse.

Honestly it's probably just a color trend. People will think it looks "classy and refined" now and in a few years they'll be re-surprised by light washes or something

6. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Senior member

Hi Paul! Its good to see you around here. The SuFu refugees keep streaming in... Do you (or HJJ) know if the current LVC collection is still made in the USA? Have they found a new factory following the close of Taylor Toggs?
    It is definitely still made in the USA (apart from odd items, mostly washed). I believe most of them are made at Caitac in California. I did update the 501 infor thread on sufu but... what's the point?? Oh, and thanks for the welcome... I feel all fresh and virginal.

7. horriblyjollyjinx

horriblyjollyjinx Senior member

I opened the registrations at ringxring now. Basically the problem is that its getting spammed and I dont know how to install the addons that can hinder the spambots from registering, thats why its been closed.
    hurry hurry http://ringxring.com/forum/index.php

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

On a related subject, I stopped in the Levis store in San Francisco yesterday. They stopped carrying LVC! WTF???? I wonder what this says about the LVC line. Maybe it is just that store since it is more of a tourist mecca than a fashionista store.

9. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

Yeah, I have a friend who works at that store - I asked if he could hook me up with LVC's and he said they cleared them out - got to be fcking kidding me!

you'd think they'd have them there precisely since they're a tourist mecca - the people who visit there and get to know / already know about the history of levis would probably be more discerning customers that wouldn't mind dropping more cash on LVC's as opposed to your $40 mall levis.

10. andewhall

andewhall Senior member

I opened the registrations at ringxring now. Basically the problem is that its getting spammed and I dont know how to install the addons that can hinder the spambots from registering, thats why its been closed.
    hurry hurry http://ringxring.com/forum/index.php

Nice one on the new LVC blog Jinxy. That Sack Coat is quite something.

11. horriblyjollyjinx

horriblyjollyjinx Senior member

thanks. spam problem is probably fixed now so registrations can stay open [​IMG]