1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Levi's Vintage vs Japanese denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kolecho, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Senior member

You're straying off the point. Gap have produced dry and/or selvage denim for at least a dozen years, overseen by one of the guys who backed Evisu back in 87. It would be better if you shared your own experience, of wearing Japanese denim and/or LVC.

2. Composer_1777

Composer_1777 Senior member

lol, Seriously, i do see it as a trend, I really do. I t reminds me of music trends, fashion is always like that.

3. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

Wearing dry denim and japanese labels is for people in fashion trying to be diferent than other people into fashion. Like punks, goths, emo's and now hipsters, they all like to think they are better than avg people within the same category and eventually it winds up becomming some sub culture type thing.
    1) I am better than you, but that has nothing to do with punk rock or goth or my jeans. 2) Emo's what? I don't know any emos, so I can't say what their motivations are. It might be fashion, but I can't speak for them. 3) You're making some very broad swipes with the generalization brush. It might behoove you to stop typing.

4. sidney

sidney Senior member

This thread fucking delivers.

traincrash.jpg

5. Composer_1777

Composer_1777 Senior member

6. erbs

erbs Senior member

GAP was pushing dry selvage denim for the Christmas of 2006. It's hardly a new thing in the mainstream retail market. Furthermore, dry selvage denim has been around in some form or another since the 1870s. I don't see it going anywhere fast.

7. zacharydschroeder

zacharydschroeder Senior member

Japanese selvedge denim and the boots with the fur...

8. Orpheus

Orpheus Well-Known Member

Dry/selvage denim will never reach the popularity of other trends. Composer, you're letting the denim ascendancy of a few online message boards - here, Sufu, etc. - impact your perception of the jean market. Dry denim is a non-event to a huge majority of people (certainly greater than 90%), and is about as much of a trend as wearing pants is.

9. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

Japanese selvedge denim and the boots with the fur...
    +1

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'll jump in on this.

I've worn Levis and Lee since the 60's.

Vintage Lee and Levis from the 60's were great until sometime in the early 70's. I was blown away by the first "Limited Edition" LVC jeans in 1997 or 1998. At last, jeans like I remembered-a better fit, the denim felt right and they just looked better. I bought as many as I could find in my size in deadstock.

I then went searching in Japan. The look was right and the denim tended to always be a bit beefier than the comparable Levis LVC. But I ran into some odd fit issues, like billowing "ducks butt" and less than 34 inseams after one rinse with Studio D'artisan, Lee vintage reissues and Sugar Cane. I didn't like that at all and much prefer the classic Levis butt fit with LVC and a longer 35" inseam after a wash. It is just better looking. I think LVC 1947 are the all around best right now (if you can find them) and better than any Japanese company for fit.

I see the Japanese makers as wonderful fanatics who obsess over minute details, including the "ducks butt" fit of vintage denim and work pants. They go to such great lengths to make everything right that they end up over-doing it a bit IMO. I'd rather have a more flattering fit and a longer inseam.

11. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

What is a "ducks butt" fit?

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

"ducks butt", it is a loose fit in the seat that often puffs out a bit and found on older vintage work pants and jeans. The very earliest vintage Lee jeans had a huge seat to them, very early Levi's as well. Some vintage work pants from the 30's-50's had them.

My wife hates that look on me. I don't like it either.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

basically 오리궁뎅이. it's where the jeans make it look like your butt is sticking out like a duck's.

14. Eason

Eason Senior member

무사 한국어말했어?

15. cchen

cchen Senior member

he means anti-fit

16. horriblyjollyjinx

horriblyjollyjinx Senior member

I used to prefer Japanese brands over LVC but now I almost prefer LVC. Some years of the EU/US LVC range have so-so denim, though, but some are great. The jp LVC line is really good for most parts.

17. erbs

erbs Senior member

I used to prefer Japanese brands over LVC but now I almost prefer LVC. Some years of the EU/US LVC range have so-so denim, though, but some are great. The jp LVC line is really good for most parts.
    HJJ- when are you going to post the Men's SS09 LVC line on your blog?

18. horriblyjollyjinx

HJJ- when are you going to post the Men's SS09 LVC line on your blog?

maybe tonight. my ramen is taking a long time to finish though because its so hot.

19. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Senior member

INteresting to hear of your gradual conversion - I remember you had a downer on Cone denim, is that changing? Which years/models of denim do you prefer?

One thing worth pointing out here is that while there have been some fantastically quirky products from, say, Workhouse or Real McCoy, LVC have gone to enormous amounts of trouble to reproduce obscure, funky lines like the the 333 and 200 series that must surely make minimal amounts of money, considering the investment in time and money. They pay $45,000 for an old pair of jeans, reproduce them with painstaking care, in the case of the Nevada jeans, then Sugar Cane produce a knock-off! (which, in the case of the 40501, was a far blander, less exacting repro than the LVC version). Yet sill there's an LVC perception (or perhaps no-perception) problem. So in general I feel we're lucky to have them.

Again, though, to the OP, I'd say do with the jeans you like the look/fit of best. Sugar Cane, Samurai, LVC and most of the other brands mentioned here are all capable of looking fantastic after six months, and much longer.

20. horriblyjollyjinx

INteresting to hear of your gradual conversion - I remember you had a downer on Cone denim, is that changing? Which years/models of denim do you prefer? One thing worth pointing out here is that while there have been some fantastically quirky products from, say, Workhouse or Real McCoy, LVC have gone to enormous amounts of trouble to reproduce obscure, funky lines like the the 333 and 200 series that must surely make minimal amounts of money, considering the investment in time and money. They pay $45,000 for an old pair of jeans, reproduce them with painstaking care, in the case of the Nevada jeans, then Sugar Cane produce a knock-off! (which, in the case of the 40501, was a far blander, less exacting repro than the LVC version). Yet sill there's an LVC perception (or perhaps no-perception) problem. So in general I feel we're lucky to have them. Again, though, to the OP, I'd say do with the jeans you like the look/fit of best. Sugar Cane, Samurai, LVC and most of the other brands mentioned here are all capable of looking fantastic after six months, and much longer.
    Interesting take on the LVC line. Indeed, its not made to be profitable and some of the jeans are sold at less than cost. They do benefit from having their history on display though. btw its up http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/200...s-09-mens.html took maaaany hours. i dont wanna smoke but now i neeed a cigarette! I like LVC now because jap repros just arent that true to the originals in terms of cut and detailing. re favourite years, my least favourite is the 27 and i dont like the 47 that much either sometimes. i do like the 17 and before since its kurabo denim, and I think the 55 is usually pretty good, one of the darkest denims.