• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levi's Tab - Cut or Keep?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows one keeps the main Levi's leather-looking tab in the belt area on the back - the piece with the decorative Levi's logo and pants size. But what about the tab to the right that's outside the rectangular stiching frame? It repeats the size. Is it "de rigeur" to cut it off with a scissors or retain it? Which is the "right look?"

This is my second pair of 50ws. As these, in certain blues, are the most classic of classic jeans - among the extremely few articles of clothing that are praised in about every book dealing with menswear, yet being no higher than middle price range for what they are - I'm sure some of you do have an opinion on this delicate little question.... Thanks.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
285f6d3c_41802_116898421708002_7566178_n.jpeg

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's with this Charlie Whitehurst picture showig up in threads here?

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clipboard Jesus laughs at idiot threads.

edit: good man: I want you on my trivial pursuit team. It's the rare guy who knows Charlie Whitehurst's name.

Last edited:

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's get back on topic, please.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok- go learn french, quantum mechanics, or leather working rather than spending time worrying about rather to cut the Levi's tag off.

And for the no-branding among you: you'd better go get the seam ripper, too, 'cause the Levi's arcuates are as famous, distinctive, and trademarked as the red tab.

lvc-1917-501-arcuate.jpg

Last edited:

Maegnus

Reaction score
I'm a fan of carefully removing any loud or distracting branding from my clothes. I recently got a great deal on a canada goose jacket (I'm a huge tool), and the first thing I did was remove the shoulder patch with a seam ripper. The more understated/streamlined the better.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sew one on with a smaller waist size ala Seinfeld.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I purchased a pair last week Levi's had mislabeled - giving the W and L sizes in reverse. The inside label had it correct and Penney's put the correct measurements on their own tag. I bothered me to go around with the sizes in reverse, though and I ended up going back to a Penney's and finding one the same size but labeled correctly. My brother actually noticed the size on my first pair last year and commented on it, suprised I'd wear such a large size. So these do get noticed....

I don't know of any other article of clothing whereby one would cut off a piece of a "tag," of whatever one calls it.

I happen to think a brand or designer logo showing on an eyewear frame is not of the highest calibre of taste, however with Levi's it appears to be an important part of the game. I'm really only asking about the extraneous piece, though.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first thing I do when I open a fresh pair of 501s is rip that patch off. Completely. No need to advertise my waist and inseam measurements :)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, it's just reminder that it's actually cardboard not leather

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads