• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

owrangowtang

Reaction score
what does it mean when the levis red tag on the back pockets has only the R trademark and not the word levis. how old are these jeans. are they particular to a particular type of levis jeans. are they vintage and if so, what year span??

thanks a lot

ciao
nina

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by owrangowtang
what does it mean when the levis red tag on the back pockets has only the R trademark and not the word levis. how old are these jeans. are they particular to a particular type of levis jeans. are they vintage and if so, what year span??

thanks a lot

ciao
nina

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they put the R only on a certain amound of tabs because the tab itself is trademarked as well, not just levi's on a tab. I don't know the percentage, maybe one in ten?

Eric Stoner

Reaction score
Its likely to mean that they're not Levi's but a reproduction. Any more details, pics?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeansandtshirt
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they put the R only on a certain amound of tabs because the tab itself is trademarked as well, not just levi's on a tab. I don't know the percentage, maybe one in ten?

This is what Ive read aswell (in Paul Ts book). I think it´s correct.

tljenkin

Reaction score
He is talking about the R inside of a circle on the tag, not a "repro" R on the inside of the front button.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
They aren't rare.

They aren't old.

The tag is just slightly different than the vast majority.

p.trick

Reaction score
I work for Levi's and my manager told me that for trademark reasons, one in ten pairs of jeans will have the registered (R) symbol instead of "Levi's" on the 5th pocket tab. Exactly which statute mandates this I did not inquire, but I mind as well find out for knowledge's sake.

The bottom line is that the unusual tab is not indicative of a difference in age, quality, or anything else.

Eric Stoner

Reaction score
Wow! I never heard that before - I stand corrected.
blush.gif

Hey Super - whats the Paul T book you refer to?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"denim: from cowboys to catwalks" by Paul Trynka and Graham Marsh: http://www.amazon.com/Denim-Cowboys-...3625658&sr=8-1

really nice little book, alot of cool pics of denim and wearers, aswell as alot of interesting info. Some boring chapters to the end about womens- and designer denim though, but first half is awsome.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have the same book that superbobo references and can't agree more

the first two thirds of the book is excellent with most levi's history- it's a good read and full of lots of information

theshonen8899

Reaction score
I have a pair of 514's that have a single circle R, which I think he's referencing too. Since mine should be fairly new with a cheap dark distressed paper leather tag there can't be anything special about it.
The dark tag and tab are probably just different 'cause the jeans aren't that great.

calbee

Reaction score
The story I heard is it's 1 in 100 pairs has a blank tab due to the machine that threads the tab, when they change the thread to load it they have to run a blank through the machine. It's not one in ten though, we don't see that many at the store I work at.

swiss-jeansfreak

Reaction score
An answer from the Jeansmusuem to a very old thread question:

In the seventies, quite some Levis 501 redlines had just the circle rR on their red tab.
The reason why is not clear

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads