• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis new Sta-Press??

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Like Chrono said, a few years now. I spotted some new ones in a Stockholm shop for the first time about 2 years ago. They seem to use a lighter clothweight than the originals though.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the fit compared to the original?

Originally Posted by Spirit of 69
Like Chrono said, a few years now. I spotted some new ones in a Stockholm shop for the first time about 2 years ago. They seem to use a lighter clothweight than the originals though.

starcrash

Reaction score
Those ones are not like the vintage Sta-Prest trousers, but more like a straight-leg version of the 517 poly twill that were popular for hipsters in the 90's. I used to buy the Texas Twill 517's which had a chunkier twill compared to the normal poly 517's.

They have a very artificial polyester feel compared to the old Sta-Prest which had a more "clothy" feel because of the cotton-poly blend. I've noticed that a lot of eBay sellers try to pass off 517 poly's as Sta-Prest, but only real Sta-Prest have the tag inside that says "Sta-Prest." The real Sta-Prest have been deadstock for years and are becoming more difficult and expensive to find.

If you can find the more recent Levi's 306, which are pricey and harder to find, they are more similar to original Sta-Prest. These are what Bond is wearing in Quantum.

There's also Levi's Action Slacks which you can buy cheap and get tapered to look like the old 60's mod trousers. More like the dress trousers offered at Jump The Gun which they also call "Sta-Prest."

There's also "Sta Press" by Merc which is a tapered 100% cotton trouser.

Maybe the 60's Sta-Prest looked like dress slacks, but the ones I'm familiar with have an almost canvassy feel or even like a chino.

starcrash

Reaction score
There's also the Lee Prest which are also deadstock and a more tapered version of Levi's Sta-Prest. They're 50/50 cotton/poly blend like the old Sta-Prest.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the concensus on the Jump the Gun Sta-Prest, or their clothes in general. It all looks great on the website, but how do they fit?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
What's the concensus on the Jump the Gun Sta-Prest, or their clothes in general. It all looks great on the website, but how do they fit?

I think we are all waiting for a UK punter to report or Jason to get back and fill us in. The various warnings on their fit have stopped me from placing an order so far, which is how I stumbled on those Levis at UO.

soulstylist

Reaction score
...Sta Prest only refers to the (theoretical) fact that the creases on those pants never needed ironing. There are many different cuts of those around. From straight leg, midrise to baggy to tapered hipsters and even quite a few flared ones...
Also fabric differs from heavy twill like blends to ones that have a linen like structure to denim style stuff...

...in the European Levis collection they are around (again) since at least 10 years, mostly made in Italy and with new styles and colours nearly every year...

...maybe I upload a few pics tonight...

soulstylist

Reaction score
...just a few I own:
staprest566I.jpg
staprest566II.jpg
Model 566 - midrise, straight leg black one is heavy twill, 50 cotton, 50 poly grey one lighter summer pant, 75 cotton, 25 poly
staprest559.jpg
Model 559 - cut like a dress pant, tapered leg mean colour, heavy 50/50 structureless fabric
staprest-white.jpg
staprest-white-III.jpg
...the only vintage one of the bunch (probably 70s) - no idea what modell straight leg but baggy (fits like a soul bag)... summery, linen like cloth

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads