• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis lvc 501 1947 shrink-to-fit advice

davidschlott

Reaction score
^

I had a similar problem. I just received my 47s from cultizm yesterday.

I ordered a 36x36 think it would measure a hair under 35 inches measured in the waist. However, they actually measure about a 36.5. I think I received a 2009 47, I heard they were going to be back to tag size for 2009.

Looks I am exchanging and hoping they can find a pair that measures 34 pre-soak

Cid

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of 36x34s off of ebay... seller said they were soaked/washed 2-3 times to shrink and soften them up. Actual measurements are a bit tight on me (34.5 waist, 32 inseam). PM if interested in buying them at $100 (my cost). I'll probably post them on B&S in a week or so if they're not gone by then.

Edit to add ebay info:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

JOA

Reaction score
Yeah, LVC tends to run pretty tts in recent seasons. I found this out the hard way by sizing up to a 36 only to find shrinkage minimal. Went tts (34x36) and they're perfect. I've had mine for almost 9 months and they measure (after two soaks and two washes) about 33x33.5.

Dejan @ Cultizm is great about emailing measurements. Don't hesitate to send him your questions.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm a W32 L34 (snug but comfortable after some stretching out) in regular preshrunk 501's, does that mean I should go for a W33 or W34 x L38 for the 1947 501xx (don't like my jeans too tight or too baggy)? Possibly larger? I think the preshrunk 501s might be vanity sized, and if the LVCs are true to tagged size I'm not sure how much I should size up. Thanks in advance!

Massey914

Reaction score
I'm a true 30" waist, and generally wear a 32" inseam. I'm 6' 0", and 155 lbs. Would it be advisable to buy a 32x34 in the LVC 1947 STF?

Any longer than 32" inseam, and I have to roll them up, and any smaller than a 30" waist, and they're really snug, though it seems like they might let out after wearing them for a while.

Bullitt

Reaction score
I'm a 30'' waist. Just ordered a pair in 32x32'' from Oi Polloi.
I will give them a hot soak and then wear them until they are dry.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bullitt
I’m a 30'' waist. Just ordered a pair in 32x32'' from Oi Polloi. I will give them a hot soak and then wear them until they are dry.
thats very nice ... what did you have for lunch today? how did you feel this afternoon?
uhoh.gif
why did you size up? if your a 30, you should have bought a 30 and wore them til dry. they would have shrunk to your intended size

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need about 34.5" after soak and stretch, should I go with 34s or 36s? Also need about 12.5" in the thigh after stretch.

The post-2009s are true to tagged size so I'm in between. If I could find some older 36s that actually measured 35 those might do the trick, but I've seen some measure 13" in the thigh which would be too big. Will these stretch out easily to tagged size, 2" seems like a lot of stretching?

TooTall

Reaction score
Here's my problem. I don't want any shrinkage. My normal jean size is 32x38. I can find 32x38 501 STF on Amazon.

So suppose I just wear them? After several months, I'll probably finally need to wash them or clean them somehow. Can I do it without them shrinking much? A quick cold wash and then air drying in the shade maybe?

I've heard legend of some 40" inseams, but probably not the 42" I would need to allow shrinkage.

David Hiss

Reaction score
If you really want a nice fit. I recomend wearing them for the first shrink, they will conform to you. Soak in a tub of very warm water sit it for 10-15 mins, squat to ring as much out as possible and wear till dry if possible! Did it to my 1947 stf I own several pair of stf selvedge jeans all Levis, good luck getting me out of my 47's! What ever you decide, enjoy!

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bump...

Just picked up the 47's from JCrew. last 47's i had (also from JCrew) were a 32 and after one soak they were basically unwearable, so I went up to the 34 this time. Gonna wear them for the weekend big and then do some hot soaking, but they are pretty damn big now...will let you guys know how it goes.

fedsengine

Reaction score
To All : I worked for Levi Strauss for 5 years during their vintage heyday.
I had been in a vintage shop in SoHo NY and saw a jacket that had been
worn for many, many ears, but NEVER washed. it had the most fabulous finish!
It had this slick oily sheen and wear lines I had never seen before.

Granted - this was 1997 and the jean industry had not developed over the counter
complex washes and aging yet.

I decided then and there I would only buy the Vintage Shrink-to Fit with the salvage
and NEVER wash them. I would not even wear them in the rain so the indigo wpuld
hold dark and off the shelf cool ( umbrella on misty days ).

The secret is to DRY CLEAN only after they started to develop a smell all their own - which they do.
I usually wear clean undergarments and long shear leggings under - but this may be impractical
in warm climates, although I did wear my jeans camping at Bonneville and other California
Hot Rod racing events well over 100 degrees at noon.

It's o.k. - you will know when to take them in.
I usually buy two to three pairs a year in one day and rotate the wearing of them so I can
let them hang out in the open air to breathe after use. Each pair will have it's own personality.
It is so cool !

I still wear unwashed ( dry cleaned every 8 - 10 mo. ) vintage 501's I purchased in the mid 90's.

The wear lines are fantastic, and when they finally start to rip - I immediately sew a frantic and
non organized zig-zag stitching across said weak area about an inch past rip on each side -
over and over again - continuously overlapping my own work until it is almost this embroidered patch
with lines going in all directions and widths but still only one inch past rip. BLUE HEAVY THREAD.

SackSuitLover

Reaction score
To All : I worked for Levi Strauss for 5 years during their vintage heyday.
I had been in a vintage shop in SoHo NY and saw a jacket that had been
worn for many, many ears, but NEVER washed. it had the most fabulous finish!
It had this slick oily sheen and wear lines I had never seen before.

Granted - this was 1997 and the jean industry had not developed over the counter
complex washes and aging yet.

I decided then and there I would only buy the Vintage Shrink-to Fit with the salvage
and NEVER wash them. I would not even wear them in the rain so the indigo wpuld
hold dark and off the shelf cool ( umbrella on misty days ).

The secret is to DRY CLEAN only after they started to develop a smell all their own - which they do.
I usually wear clean undergarments and long shear leggings under - but this may be impractical
in warm climates, although I did wear my jeans camping at Bonneville and other California
Hot Rod racing events well over 100 degrees at noon.

It's o.k. - you will know when to take them in.
I usually buy two to three pairs a year in one day and rotate the wearing of them so I can
let them hang out in the open air to breathe after use. Each pair will have it's own personality.
It is so cool !

I still wear unwashed ( dry cleaned every 8 - 10 mo. ) vintage 501's I purchased in the mid 90's.

The wear lines are fantastic, and when they finally start to rip - I immediately sew a frantic and
non organized zig-zag stitching across said weak area about an inch past rip on each side -
over and over again - continuously overlapping my own work until it is almost this embroidered patch
with lines going in all directions and widths but still only one inch past rip. BLUE HEAVY THREAD.
Very interesting. I would like to know: Dry clean will shrink the jeans? I hope not. So... you can buy your actual size, never water wash jeans and simply dry clean them after some months? Is it correct? I ask you this because i like my LVC 1933 501, full cut old style jeans, but the size i bought ( 38/36) is absolutely perfect, in fact i have an inseam of 34, but i like large, big cuffs. Vice versa taking into account the shrinkage i should buy a 40/38 (but i can't find it...i'm italian, here most people are dwarfs ;)

Burt Bondy

Reaction score
These jeans are almost boot cut. I wouldn't say they are straight legged at all.

I was gutted to find out the get wider as they reach the foot. Waste of 200 bills
angry.gif

AR0B

Reaction score
Hey does anyone know about how much the type II jacket will shrink with a hot soak?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics