1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Levis lvc 501 1947 shrink-to-fit advice

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by undarted, Mar 20, 2007.

1. undarted

undarted Senior member

yeah, nice way of trying to play it off...you're too cool for school, laughing at us for wasting our time, while spending plenty of time talking about this. Oh what, you're a professional myth debunker? Public crusade to ration salt and vinegar? Who are you kidding? And you haven't addressed any of my points. But you did post a picture - apparently passing the "wasting a lot of time" phase? Like I said, your initial pictures look like mall jeans. Your above picture is supposed to be a response to that, by presenting darker jeans with more contrast. Yeah, you got em - along with the tears forming where you cuff the jeans - and the beginnings of crotch blowout. You know, I heard salt and vinegar could help with that. Oh well, too late. But hey, I'm not one to bitch w/o putting up. This would be good for the thread. Obviously unless somebody does an experiment using two of the exact same jeans, it wouldn't say much. But whatever, like I said, I'm happy with my results and I don't really bother to fuck with what I did, and risk something like the holes in your crotch. My 47's are at my girl's place, but here are a pair of NS, around 18 months old: [​IMG] [​IMG] The contrast is shit compared to my 47's, which have a much deeper dye. But whateva, it's what I got right now. Have fun deciding between your mall jeans or crotch blowouts. I'm sure your condescending attitude will keep you warm as your crotch holes form.

2. Shorty Long

Shorty Long Senior member

Not impressive...

My 47's are at my girl's place, but here are a pair of NS, around 18 months old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The contrast is shit compared to my 47's, which have a much deeper dye. But whateva, it's what I got right now.

Have fun deciding between your mall jeans or crotch blowouts. I'm sure your condescending attitude will keep you warm as your crotch holes form.

3. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Senior member

Sorry if I come across as condescending. i am simply trying to save you time. I can understand that you're annoyed because I'm pointing out you're subscribing to an urban myth, but you'll have to deal with it, because that's what it is.

If you want to wash out starch use soap - although that's not strictly necessary as starch is water-soluble. Salt and/or vinegar won't help. Nor will it prevent crotch blowouts!

If you don't believe me, do some googling. Look at posts by people like ringring at superfuture. Anyone who works in the denim industry will tell you that the vinegar story comes from folklore, and is mainly a misunderstanding coming from its use in animal-derived fabrics like wool and silk. Not cotton.

I've seen some of the justification here for use of vinegar and none of it makes sense. Indigo is not any more/less soluble in vinegar than it is in water (in fact it's insoluble in both). There is a terrific book on Indigo by Jenny Balfour-Paul which goes into wonderful detail about indigo dyeing, and although some dyers have used buffalo blood to get a better blue, none of them uses salt or vinegar.

This is simply a fact, which you can deny as you wish, or combine with insults to me Lee jeans (about which I'm very upset, obvously!).

4. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Senior member

Pablo-T, what was your final shrinkage on your 55's and 47's after machine washing? I have them both in a 34 inseam and and want them to not be less than 32. I'm thinking I"ll only hand wash them cold and hang dry.

5. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Senior member

Pablo-T, what was your final shrinkage on your 55's and 47's after machine washing?
    My 1947, first pair, shrank from 34 to 32 1/4 in the inseam. The second pair only lost an inch, down to 33, after one wash at 30 or 40 degrees. I got my 55s in 32/32 as opposed to my usual 34/34, and they seem to have shrunk a full two inches in the leg (so now I can only wear them with mocs or deck shoes!) by the time they popped out of the washer. This was despite making a rudimentary jig to reduce shrinking but only succeeded in getting me some very odd looks from a friend when she popped round. The COne denim does seem to vary quite a lot, though, i had a lot of leg twist on the first 47s, none on the second, colour was different too. Of the current produciton, denim looks nicer on the 55.

6. whacked

whacked Senior member

[​IMG]

Pablo-T, it's eerie how identical the fades you developed on these jeans. Are they all LVC? I thought the denim varies from season to season?

In any case, great work.

7. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Senior member

Pablo-T, it's eerie how identical the fades you developed on these jeans. Are they all LVC? I
    Thanks, glad you like them, these were nearly all the early Lee Euro Rider reissues, with fabric from Kaihara and Nisshinbo. Great jeans, which all cost around £55. Supposedly the first few pairs were Sanforized, the next few weren't, but it made little difference to shrinkage. Like LVC, the Lee repros, both these and the Edwin-made ines, are all over the place in terms of size and shrinking. It is strange how similar they all look... I did wear them all the same, with no washing for the first six months. they are all l/h denim which seems to give a particular vintage look, and they all retain their indigo. That said, I had one pair I washed once too often & was really looking bland... so I used them as work jeans and scrubbed the floor, etc, in them for a couple of years. When my g/f washed them by accident a couple months ago (normally cause for a serious row) they turned out pretty nice. I sold them to the wonderful Beatle over on SuFu. I've sold most of these but still ahve about 3 pairs left, one raw and unwashed, the other couple on the way... [​IMG]

8. george.white

george.white Member

yeah, nice way of trying to play it off...you're too cool for school, laughing at us for wasting our time, while spending plenty of time talking about this. Oh what, you're a professional myth debunker?
    HAHAHA,

9. kit99bar

kit99bar Senior member

[​IMG] he seriously picked the wrong guy to argue denim with.

HAHAHA, Paul has written a book on denim what have you done?

10. undarted

undarted Senior member

Let me be clear, I posted this thread because I SOUGHT ADVICE.

I don't give a shit if he wrote a book. Paris Hilton wrote a book. I haven't read his book, but what makes him an authority? Does he have a background in chemistry or is he very experienced in the textile industry? That would help. If not, then I don't really give a shit, especially considering his attitude.

As far as his attack on salt and vinegar, it's a straw man argument. i never claimed salt and vinegar set the dye. As far as I'm concerned, I considered salt and vinegar as mild cleansers to take out shit added to the denim - things like starch, paraffin, and polyvinyl alcohol.

Sure you can blast that shit away with detergent, but that would bleed a lot of the indigo dye away.

And maybe salt and vinegar is used as gentle maintenance of jeans, to keep them fresh, antibacterial without bleeding the dye.

Pablo isn't considering the indirect effect of salt and vinegar on the dye - he keeps claiming they don't react much with it - but maybe that's the point. Vinegar and salt gently cleanse the jeans without stripping the indigo.

Hey I appreciate any advice, that was the point of this thread. But Pablo's is a straw man argument. And those last jeans are indeed pretty cool. I like the contrast. But again, all his jeans are showing some premature wear-and-tear, and the dreaded holes are forming in the crotch. Like I said before, all the power to him if he likes them like that.

But personally, in public I like to rock out without my cock out, so I'll continue to prioritize a balance between high contrast and durability.

11. allcapitan

allcapitan Senior member

I'm a real stickler for keeping my place clean. I have a nice white tub and want to keep it looking nice. Can I expect to keep it that way if I warm or hot soak my 501's for 2 to 3 hours? Or, will it leave some serious stains that require a lot of time and muscle to get rid of? Who's got some experience here?

12. ok1234

ok1234 Well-Known Member

they dont really leave any stains at all...but cracks and chips in the tub tend to trap indigo

13. ringring

ringring Senior member

I'm a real stickler for keeping my place clean. I have a nice white tub and want to keep it looking nice. Can I expect to keep it that way if I warm or hot soak my 501's for 2 to 3 hours? Or, will it leave some serious stains that require a lot of time and muscle to get rid of? Who's got some experience here?

Use the salt & vinegar to clean your tub [​IMG]

14. blackdarkeye

blackdarkeye Senior member

pablo i think its funny (not in a bad way) that all of jeans came to look the same. personally i try to do something different with each pair i own.

15. Fiddy

Fiddy Senior member

Have a few incoming pairs of '47's arriving tomorrow and am planning on soaking them for 2 hours in hot water, hanging them up for a while, then wearing them around the house.

Does this sound like a decent plan of attack to you guys? Anything you would add?

16. kit99bar

kit99bar Senior member

well the 34x34 "new" models of the 1947s was a bit too large for me even after 2 hot soaks. I just tossed them in the washer and set it to hot. I'll take them out to hand dry after before the spin cycle. Hopefully this gets the last shrinkage out. Will prob send them off to have them tapered by denim doctors too [​IMG]

17. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Senior member

pablo i think its funny (not in a bad way) that all of jeans came to look the same. personally i try to do something different with each pair i own.

Seems reasonable, these were work jeans from a decade ago and at the time they were way cheaper than anything else available and I liked the way they looked raw for business meetings etc.

well the 34x34 "new" models of the 1947s was a bit too large for me even after 2 hot soaks. I just tossed them in the washer and set it to hot. I'll take them out to hand dry after before the spin cycle. Hopefully this gets the last shrinkage out. Will prob send them off to have them tapered by denim doctors too [​IMG]

Good point which probably needs noting on SF. NEw season LVC from s/s 2009 is made in a new factroy, and is made true to size, rather than one inch under. Sizing up two inches from the tag size is now overdoing it; you need to size up by one or buy actual size.

Kt99, can you comment if the shape or anythign else has changed from previous production?

[​IMG]
    1947 LVC, 2006, after second wash

18. Chango

Chango Active Member

I'm about to get some 1947, but I want them to be a little relaxed. I've read that the 1947 can be slim or relaxed depending on how you size. I want a size 34X34-35 if possible. I plan to soak them to get the shrinkage out of the way. How much should I size up to get them relaxed? I have only 5ep LDZ 34/32 to go by, other than that, I wear size 34 on regular 30 dollar relaxed Levis. Based on the tag on the Levis, I was going to order a size 36x38.

19. DocHunter

DocHunter Senior member

Seems reasonable, these were work jeans from a decade ago and at the time they were way cheaper than anything else available and I liked the way they looked raw for business meetings etc.

Good point which probably needs noting on SF. NEw season LVC from s/s 2009 is made in a new factroy, and is made true to size, rather than one inch under. Sizing up two inches from the tag size is now overdoing it; you need to size up by one or buy actual size.

Kt99, can you comment if the shape or anythign else has changed from previous production?

[​IMG]
    1947 LVC, 2006, after second wash

Pablo, I'm about to order a pair of LVC 47s probably from Cultizm which I assume has the latest production of the line. What's the standard inseam shrinkage for these jeans?

20. kit99bar

kit99bar Senior member

Pablo, my 34x34 1947s are indeed 2009 models from the new factory as they have the 4170 on the back of the top button.

after two 1 hr hotsoaks they only went down to a 33x32. Now after a hot wash and another hr hotsoak they measure 32x31.