1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Levis 514, raw

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Saucemaster, Oct 27, 2006.

1. theshonen8899

theshonen8899 Senior member

It's annoying because the denim is thinner at the factory crease, so even if you iron it, it naturally will re-crease there when you wear.

If this is true then you will all have very intresting fades with your pair...

2. csgrad

csgrad Senior member

I went to my local macys and they had some 514 in a raw wash that resembles the old PDC GTO 1 year. No abrasions of any kind or pre set creases. They have contrast white stitching, which looks pretty sick against the dark indigo with white specks. Only 35 normal price to.

I don't know what the wash is called, but i'm pretty sure its not rigid.

3. ino

ino Senior member

heres some detail pics.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Those are some strange resin creases. Still, they look alright.

5. scog

scog Active Member

I tried to iron out the creases, which didn't work so well - the physical folds came out OK but the indigo is lighter along the lines, so even after ironing it looks basically the same even though it's flat. Afterwards I washed them, just as an experiment and also to make them shrink (the waist doesn't shrink that much but the legs tighten up to what you'd expect - I'm gonna measure eventually for comparison to AW grifters, if anybody wants to know measurements for 32x34 one-wash I can post them too - and the inseam shrinks by an inch or two). Of course, the wash just fixed in the contrast lines - now it looks like there are random slash marks on the lap, front of the knees, shins (????), and inside pocket (also ???).

edit - also, I don't know whether this has been mentioned, but they are definitely not stiff at all, pretty much the same before and after a wash.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I went to my local macys and they had some 514 in a raw wash that resembles the old PDC GTO 1 year. No abrasions of any kind or pre set creases. They have contrast white stitching, which looks pretty sick against the dark indigo with white specks. Only 35 normal price to.

I don't know what the wash is called, but i'm pretty sure its not rigid.

What is a "raw wash"?

7. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

How long of an inseam do you guys wear in these?

I tried on the pre-washed/faded 514's at the store and the 32" inseam was just barely above the ground when standing without shoes.

Is this long enough or should I go with the 34" inseam? Do the rigid scraped run longer? How much will these shrink when I (eventually) wash them?

8. adamm411

adamm411 Senior member

So the "rigid scraped" is raw after all? How much shrinkage is expected in the waist and length, according to Levi's or based on your own experience?

Adamm

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

How long of an inseam do you guys wear in these?

I tried on the pre-washed/faded 514's at the store and the 32" inseam was just barely above the ground when standing without shoes.

Is this long enough or should I go with the 34" inseam? Do the rigid scraped run longer? How much will these shrink when I (eventually) wash them?

It depends how tall your shoes are, but it sounds like they'll be of acceptable length unless you like a lot of stacking.

10. adamm411

adamm411 Senior member

But do they (rigid scraped) shrink like 501's or just shrink a quarter inch in length like sanforized (?) jeans?

I guess I'll find out about the shrinking in a few months. Hmm. In any case, yes the Rigid Scraped is unwashed, so they should fade with wear and washing. The denim is a little soft; it's being stubborn in taking creases. They're starting to form on mine (Saturday being the only full day I've worn them), so I'm not worried, but they do seem like they're going to be a little annoying to break in. I'm not sure you'll get a really high-contrast fade with these unless you're a bike messenger or something, but I'm not really looking for that in any case.

The label will say "Rigid Scraped" if they're raw. That's the only "wash" of the 514 in which it comes raw (in the US at least). Everything else has already been washed and (usually) predistressed.

11. tundrafour

tundrafour Senior member

I saw a ton of these in the downtown Seattle Levi's store for 50% off yesterday (IIRC, the pre-discount price was $68, so they should come to $34). If you're interested and have a Levi's store near you, it might be worth a look. If you're not near one, the Seattle one apparently will ship, their phone number is (206) 467-5152, and perhaps they'll ship faster than Macy's.

12. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

They barely shrink at all. Maybe an inch at max. If you want them the exact same length, stretch the inseam out while wet. They don't shrink, so buy your size or size down if you want.

13. adamm411

adamm411 Senior member

Does this mean rigid scraped are sanforized? Sorry for all the questions: I want to get it right.

They barely shrink at all. Maybe an inch at max. If you want them the exact same length, stretch the inseam out while wet. They don't shrink, so buy your size or size down if you want.

14. scog

scog Active Member

Yeah, definitely don't size up in the waist, but the inseam shrank by more than an inch for me, so I'd buy a size up in the inseam...you can get ankle-stacking or you can just get it hemmed if you feel like they're still too long.

15. adamm411

adamm411 Senior member

Interesting. My actual inseam is 30. But now I'm buying 32's to get a bit of stacking. So should I go to 34 now to retain stacking after the shrinkage?

Yeah, definitely don't size up in the waist, but the inseam shrank by more than an inch for me, so I'd buy a size up in the inseam...you can get ankle-stacking or you can just get it hemmed if you feel like they're still too long.

16. scog

scog Active Member

Interesting. My actual inseam is 30. But now I'm buying 32's to get a bit of stacking. So should I go to 34 now to retain stacking after the shrinkage?

if your actual inseam is 30 then you'd be good with 32, you'd almost definitely need to get a 34 hemmed

17. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

You probably won't get much stacking with these anyway. They're not tapered or that small at the bottom. With boots/high tops you probably will, but don't expect much with chucks or something like that.

18. jsheppard

jsheppard Member

Hey guys,

I picked up a pair of 514s at Mervyn's today. I'm not sure if they are raw, so I'm looking for your input. These aren't scraped or anything, but the denim looks raw. I rubbed it on my white t shirt and some indigo came off. There was no rigid tag, or warnings about shrinkage, though, so I'm skeptical. The other thing that makes me skeptical is that supposedly only Asia has 514s in a pure raw, unscraped version. Here's some pics.

Full view
    http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4042/img4032hk6.jpg

Closeup (ignore the dog hair [​IMG])
    http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4033oi5.jpg

What do you guys think? They were made in Hong Kong, and are 100% cotton.

19. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

Those look cool. [​IMG] Perhaps they are one-washes? Even if they aren't raw, they have a really nice dark wash, and you can still get some fading out of them if you really want. I'd personally keep 'em dark. If they're $30 or close to that, anyone wanna pick up a pair for me in 31x32 or 31x34? [​IMG] Yes... the denim market in Canada is so poor that one cannot find these jeans.

20. theshonen8899

theshonen8899 Senior member

I knew it. My friend picked up a pair of raw 514's at Mervyn's and I was skeptical, now I know.
    I wonder why it's not on the Levi's site.

Good find.