1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Levis 514, raw

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Saucemaster, Oct 27, 2006.

1. ts4them

ts4them Senior member

I ordered these but they're on back-order. I would try 'massaging' the light streaks out. Sort of like blending them in w/ your fingers. I did this w/ my dry thin-finns because I scraped off some indigo while I was sitting on a cement wall, and it totally worked.

2. ruben

ruben Senior member

FYI- these are back on sale, but most sizes have a pretty severe backorder.

3. ts4them

ts4them Senior member

I just got mine today, I like them and I don't think the creases are a big problem. They are barely noticeable, although I might try to steam them out. The back pockets are interesting and aren't the usual Levi's pocket- the design is set lower, I like it. I had planned to remove it because I'm just tired of the normal Lev's pocket, but I'll keep this. What I don't like is the way the bottom hem doesn't have contrast stitching, it looks very weird IMO. It looks like you had them hemmed by a bad tailor who didn't know how to hem jeans. I was thinking about taking them to a tailor and having contrast stitching added although I bought them to wear as my cuffed jeans so I might not bother. The other thing (and to those who have them, please give me you opinions on this) is that the inside of the jean has a sort of sepia tone to it w/ an almost greenish cast, instead of the normal white-ish color. Sort of dingy looking but very even. I'm not sure about it really, but I'm going to wear them cuffed anyway, just something to get used to I guess.

4. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Yea, the inside, and the jean in general has a green vibe to it in contrast to the purple you get from some other jeans. I don't really mind the color. I need to see if my old iron has a steam function, or if it even works. How are you gonna get the creases out?

The leather patch on the back is kinda funny looking. Not in a bad way, just haven't seen it before. I wish mine were an inch shorter though. They don't stack well, but i knew a 32 would've been too short. I've been wearing them a week and they're pretty solid. They've stretched about a inch or so in the waist, but that's just like all jeans.

I'd like to see how they break in with creases/whiskering/fading and such but i'd really like to see if i could get an inch off the inseam. I was thinking of cold soaking and hanging, but i don't know if that'd do anything at all. Does anyone think warm or hot soaking would mess up and breaking in in the future?

5. tomtraubert

tomtraubert Well-Known Member

levis.com doesn't show a "rigid scraped." they do have something called "ridge," which is 100% cotton. does anybody know anything about this? also, is macys the only placed selling the rigid scraped? i need a 28 with at least a 32 inseam if they fit anything like the other 514s i've tried, which macys doesn't carry.

6. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

You probably have to try online for the rigid scraped. There's a link on the first page of the thread. I'm pretty sure if it doesn't say rigid, it's not gonna be raw/unwashed. I think i remember ridge being one of their washes. The macys at my local mall carries nothing but relaxed fit sizes so good luck finding them in store. The site definitely has them, though.

7. theshonen8899

theshonen8899 Senior member

8. ruben

ruben Senior member

jean_connoisseur23- where did you get your 514 raws?

My "514 raw" (really Levis redline) arrived today.
    I'll post detail and lots of pics later.
    Have to say, while you obviously can't beat the price, but I'm a tad disapointed. I'd have liked something more like what jean_connoisseur23 has, these are a bit showy and gaudy.
    I also though they'd be Selvage.

9. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

jean_connoisseur23- where did you get your 514 raws?

My "514 raw" (really Levis redline) arrived today.
    I'll post detail and lots of pics later.
    Have to say, while you obviously can't beat the price, but I'm a tad disapointed. I'd have liked something more like what jean_connoisseur23 has, these are a bit showy and gaudy.
    I also though they'd be Selvage.

Yeah, I want Eternal x Diors too, but what are you gonna do?

You thought you were getting selvage for $30?

10. jean_connoisseur23

jean_connoisseur23 Senior member

11. ruben

ruben Senior member

I'm disapointed in the somewhat showy stitching and embelishment, not in the lack of selvage.

To an extent I could care less about selvage, I was just surprised because I though "levis redline" or whatever was a reference to well, a red selvage thread thingy.

Am I to take it that "real" raw 514s are rare/no longer made?

12. whodini

whodini Senior member

I'm disapointed in the somewhat showy stitching and embelishment, not in the lack of selvage.

To an extent I could care less about selvage, I was just surprised because I though "levis redline" or whatever was a reference to well, a red selvage thread thingy.

Am I to take it that "real" raw 514s are rare/no longer made?

They are overseas.

13. adamm411

adamm411 Senior member

Woohoo! Raw looks, no shrinkage. I picked these up for 30 bucks also. I mainly have bootcut and regular straight leg. The thing is, they remind me so much of the taper leg jeans I gave away a year and a half ago since they were "out of style." Is this the return of the taper leg jean? Say it ain't so.

Adamm

You can get your normal size. There's no shrinkage warning on these at all, just the normal color transfer warning.

The red line is kind of their middling denim. A little more expensive than the regular line, but not "premium" like the Capital E line (or LVC).

14. theshonen8899

They're not tapered they're striaght.

15. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

If anything, i wish mine were a bit tapered. I'm inbetween inseams and always have to size up a bit, so mine hang over the back of the shoe a bit. Then again, i'm normally wearing converses. I don't really own any blazers/dunks or anything like that. They're good for the price. I'm not sure what you're referring to with the stitching. Doesn't seem much different from normal levis, except because of how dark the jeans are, the stitching may show more. But they definitely don't attract attention or anything.

I'm thinking of soaking/hanging mine to see if i can get a bit of shrinkage. Not much, just back to when i bought them and the inseam a half an inch. Maybe get around to trying to iron out the shin creases, but then again, i'm really lazy because i said this 2 weeks ago.

You could probably return them, if you kept the packaging. Or maybe selling them in the buying/selling forum. Someone will buy a pair of cheap jeans.

16. ruben

ruben Senior member

I'll post some pics of the stitching, it's somewhat agressive, and I fear may look rather dated in a few months. I REALlY tend to prefer more conservative styles.

...other than that, love the jeans, great fit etc etc.

would jean_connoisseur23 care to reveal the country of origin for his 514s? or how tobuy them?

17. theshonen8899

If anything, i wish mine were a bit tapered. I'm inbetween inseams and always have to size up a bit, so mine hang over the back of the shoe a bit. Then again, i'm normally wearing converses. I don't really own any blazers/dunks or anything like that. They're good for the price. I'm not sure what you're referring to with the stitching. Doesn't seem much different from normal levis, except because of how dark the jeans are, the stitching may show more. But they definitely don't attract attention or anything. I'm thinking of soaking/hanging mine to see if i can get a bit of shrinkage. Not much, just back to when i bought them and the inseam a half an inch. Maybe get around to trying to iron out the shin creases, but then again, i'm really lazy because i said this 2 weeks ago.
    You size 2 inchs up from your natural inseem (right above the ground in heel area barefoot) with straight jeans for a natural stacked look. Toss you're jeans in a net or a dryel bag with a fabric freshener and dry for 15-30 mins to shrink back to original size.
    I'll post some pics of the stitching, it's somewhat agressive, and I fear may look rather dated in a few months. I REALlY tend to prefer more conservative styles. ...other than that, love the jeans, great fit etc etc. would jean_connoisseur23 care to reveal the country of origin for his 514s? or how tobuy them?
    He bought his in Japan, thus he doesn't get smelly creases. Buying them should be self explanatory, unless you REALLY want to pay service to buy $40 jeans in Japan. I highly doubt the 514 will be dated for a longgggg time.

18. jean_connoisseur23

jean_connoisseur23 Senior member

correction ibought them here in the philippines..which gets stock from levi's japan

19. ts4them

ts4them Senior member

I'll post some pics of the stitching, it's somewhat agressive, and I fear may look rather dated in a few months. I REALlY tend to prefer more conservative styles.

...other than that, love the jeans, great fit etc etc.

would jean_connoisseur23 care to reveal the country of origin for his 514s? or how tobuy them?

It should be pretty easy to remove the stitching on the back pockets with a seem ripper. I might do this, but you should do it right away before you get any wear on them. Am I the only one who finds the lack of contrast stitching on the bottom hem (the leg opening) downright disturbing and retarded?!?!? IT DOESN'T LOOK RIGHT!!

20. ruben

ruben Senior member

Yeah, it looks weird, but not as noticable as the weird bladish crossover stitching or the crazy stiched levis patch.