• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis 514, raw

mr. burns

Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
Has anyone bought the raw 514s from these guys: http://www.americanjeans.com/index.p...roducts_id=483 I don't know if they're the scraped finish.
was thinkin of getting these too. would like to know how they fit/stretch compared to the regular washed/distressed versions. and was also wondering why they seem to be the only site to have the 514 in straight raw. they definitely seem to look different [more indigo] than the tumbled rigid.

mr. burns

Reaction score
so if a 31 of the predistressed type feels good when new, i should get that in the raw and it shouldn't stretch as much?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. burns
was thinkin of getting these too. would like to know how they fit/stretch compared to the regular washed/distressed versions. and was also wondering why they seem to be the only site to have the 514 in straight raw. they definitely seem to look different [more indigo] than the tumbled rigid.

They are just a smidge looser in the calf and crotch. Mine have not stretched much so far. I think the fit is perfect. The denim is amazing - much better than the tumbled rigid pair I have. Buy true to size and you can't go wrong.

mr. burns

Reaction score
good to know. so what's up with the honeycombing i see in the pictures? does the denim make decent whiskers/stacks or is it too soft?

finnegan

Reaction score
My tumbled rigids stretched a lot in both the waist and the thighs. I sized down one and they stretched to a perfect fit for me.

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Question on fit. There seems to be three different varieties of the 514. 1. The "regular" version--available in a few different washes 2. The "tumbled rigid" version and 3. The "raw" version.

Everything else aside, do they all fit pretty much the same? If I go to the mall and try on a "regular" pair, and then say order the tumbled rigid ones, should I get the same size? Thanks.
confused.gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fortysomething
Question on fit. There seems to be three different varieties of the 514. 1. The "regular" version--available in a few different washes 2. The "tumbled rigid" version and 3. The "raw" version.

Everything else aside, do they all fit pretty much the same? If I go to the mall and try on a "regular" pair, and then say order the tumbled rigid ones, should I get the same size? Thanks.
confused.gif

They *should* all fit the same in waist and inseam sizes, but I've found that quality control is so patchy on the lesser versions you can't guarantee same-sized raw 514s will fit. I'd suggest also trying on another pair of red-tab Levis (stonewash or whatever!) to make sure you've nailed your correct size.

mr. burns

Reaction score
so who's got some actual pics of these? pretty sure i'm getting them for christmas, if not i'll just buy them myself. need some cheap raw stuff and i like the fit. i've tried on multiple pairs, washed and tumbled rigid and they didn't seem as inconsistent as has been said here, but i'm no expert.

mr. burns

Reaction score
they're not raw. the only place you can get raw 514s is on that website a page or two back.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok..this might explain it. I hope soaking doesn't make it lose too much color.

Originally Posted by zacharydschroeder
by the way, Levi's raw denim is "tumbled for softness," so if you want that authentic, uncomfortable, stiff raw denim feeling, you'll have to cold soak them before you wear them. That should also help with the honeycombs, whiskers, etc...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads