• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levi's 511 vs. 514: What's The Difference?

allcapitan

Reaction score
What exactly is the difference between Levi's 511 and 514? When I go to their website, it says that both are low rise and slim straight. Is there a difference in the rise?

From what I can tell, the 511's have some distress marks above the thigh, but otherwise I can't really tell the difference. Also, are slim straights meant to be worn primarily in a very dark wash? I have a pair of very dark blue (almost black) 514's already, so I was thinking of getting another pair in a regular dark blue wash, instead of a nearly black color.

Allcap

evacuatingheaven

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure they carry the 511 at most urban outfitters right now. i tried them on last week and they're pretty sweet. The leg is more tapered than the 514, which is a straight leg i think.

i was going to go buy some 511's to hold me over until my rakers get here, but i bought some samurai's on sufu instead!

allcapitan

Reaction score
Cool. Which colors do you think looked best? The darker washes or medium washes? I am thinking of getting the medium blue (Riff). I am a couple of hours away from UO, so I have to rely on online shopping.

Allcap

Originally Posted by evacuatingheaven
i'm pretty sure they carry the 511 at most urban outfitters right now. i tried them on last week and they're pretty sweet. The leg is more tapered than the 514, which is a straight leg i think.

i was going to go buy some 511's to hold me over until my rakers get here, but i bought some samurai's on sufu instead!

Reaction score
I'd say go down to a local department store and try on 511s vs 514s. You might even find a sick wash for cheap.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
People here are going to reccomend a dark undistressed wash. I personally don't like the way most companies do their predistressing. If you look around the site some more, you'll see that people enjoy dark washes as opposed to light ones. Especially since it's pretty much winter still.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Along with the taper below the knee, the 511s are slimmer overall. I literally had to size up two sizes (from a 30 to a 32) just to be able to fit my legs in the jeans, and even then I start losing circulation.... They're not kidding when they say "skinny".

prozach1576

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Along with the taper below the knee, the 511s are slimmer overall. I literally had to size up two sizes (from a 30 to a 32) just to be able to fit my legs in the jeans, and even then I start losing circulation.... They're not kidding when they say "skinny".

Yeah, they're skinny as hell. And Levi's regular line tends to run pretty small on me.

allcapitan

Reaction score
Well, I just got a pair of 514's rigid scraped, in my usual waist size, 30. I feel like a boa constrictor is gripping me around the waist. I figured I was in a bit of trouble when I took a look at the tag: 100% cotton; my other 514's have a bit of spandex and are surprisingly comfy given the slim fit.

Do the 514 rigid scraped stretch through the waist with consistent wear? If the waist remains the same size, I don't think I can keep these. Did anyone who normally wears a 30" have to size up for the 514's as well?

Allcap

allcapitan

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of 511's in 30/32. For the price, I'm amazed. The silhouette is great. The denim is very soft. And the spandex allows for just enough give so that the skinny fit remains surprisingly comfy. Levi's just knows what they are doing, period. I don't know how they do it, but all three pairs of Levi's I own: 511, 514 and silvertab modern boot are as soft as butter. Each pair is just as soft as a pair of Sacred Denim blue jeans I have which retail for $170, and I have yet to pair more than $35 for a pair of levi's.

Now, the next step is getting hooked up with a nice pair of kicks. I've got my black chucks of course, but am open to suggestions. Did I mention that Levi's knows what they are doing? I don't see the need to pay more.

Allcap

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
levis is ****... i feel the need to pay more.

newbien

Reaction score
allcapitan which wash did you get for the 511?

allcapitan

Reaction score
I got them in the "riff" wash, which is a medium blue wash. There's some distress work on the jeans already. They're also available in black, and a very dark blue (rail). I figure since I already have 514's in a very dark blue, I figured I'd go with medium "blue" jeans this time to diversify my collection. I tried on a pair of 511's in black as well, but they looked rather plain to my eye. For me, I have a tough time finding jeans which cast a great silhouette AS WELL as fit comfortably, so whenever I find such a pair, I'm very pleased.

I'm certainly open to other options, however.

Allcap

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads