• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levi's 511,510 and 519 Jeans. What's the differences in fit?

Hexagram

Reaction score
Hey, I recently bought a pair of Levi's 511's and i wasn't too keen on the fit, they were too snug at the top when trying on my usual size (32" waist) so i went up to the 33 waist and they were more comfortable but because i got the bigger waist size they were baggy at the bottom and just didn't look good to me.

Now i've seen they do other fits like the 519, 510 and 508 Tapered but does anyone know how these compare to the 511's? I like slim fit jeans but not the really slim ones that are pretty much skin tight.

I have a pair of Wrangler Spencer Slim Jeans and they fit amazing, really comfortable up top (not too tight or bagy) and slightly tapered at the leg. Do Levi's do a similar cut to those?

Can anyone help?

Last edited:

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
510's are the skinner version (Super Skinny) of the 511s. 519s appear to be new and look like the fit like 511's with a bit more room in the waist and thighs. These are probably exactly what you are looking for without sizing up.

Might I suggest J Crew 484-Fit (Slim) Jeans. I had the same dilemma as you, and these are what I wear very happily now. They are slim all around but not painted on or too tapered (and enough room in the waist).

hrb

Reaction score
+1 on both comments. the 510's are noticeably more 'skinny' than the 511. The 510's are the pants you see all the skinny guys rocking and the larger -more robust- individuals, not pulling off. the 514's sound like a good call for your if you are set on Levi's.

Hexagram

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong i do like jeans to be slim and snug, just not too much! I'm also only an average build so realistically i could wear the skinny ones if i wanted, but i don't.

I have a feeling the 514's will be like the 511's were down the bottom (slightly baggy) but all the way through the cut, perhaps even more so..and i wouldn't want that. Although i haven't tried on a pair and not sure i'll be able to as i'm from the UK and i'm pretty sure they're only available in the US right?

Last edited:

yukihiro

Reaction score
Hexagram, that's interesting that the 511's were baggy for you on the bottom. The 511's that fit well on my waist were baggy through my thighs and knees and tight on my calves. It sounds like it's pretty tough to gauge what fits you unless you are able to try it on or get the measurements. FWIW, many of my friends wear 511's just fine, and it has a slim/skinny look on them all around.

I didn't even try the 510's, because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get it up my legs. I haven't seen the 519's or 508's before, but I currently own 521's, which are slim tapered. They personally fit me well, slim and tapered but not skinny anywhere. It's a little big around the waist, but that's not a deal breaker to me. They might be too baggy for what you're looking for...

I also tried on 513's and 514's... 514's fit well for me around the thighs, but were too baggy for my liking going down since they are a straight cut. I think the 513's have a very slight taper below the knee, but they were pretty close to the 514's. I kind of liked the 513's, but I personally don't see much of a taper, although it could be something you can look into.

Von Franz

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong i do like jeans to be slim and snug, just not too much! I'm also only an average build so realistically i could wear the skinny ones if i wanted, but i don't.

I have a feeling the 514's will be like the 511's were down the bottom (slightly baggy) but all the way through the cut, perhaps even more so..and i wouldn't want that. Although i haven't tried on a pair and not sure i'll be able to as i'm from the UK and i'm pretty sure they're only available in the US right?

I think they're available in the UK too. They may just be slightly harder to find.

Also, the 513 cut is visible on the US site and might be just the thing for you.

http://us.levi.com/family/index.jsp...46855&ab=leftnav:men:byfit:byfit:slim:3692034

You might want to look into A.P.C. denim, though, as their New Standard or New Cure cut could work well for you. They're a little pricey compared to Levi's, but I don't know how much more Levi's cost in the UK.

If I'm to believe this article, you're being charged too much for regular, basic Levi's over there, and I recommend that you seek a level of quality commensurate with that higher price point.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...levis-dearer-but-condoms-cheaper-1391449.html

A.P.C. is a French company with a minimalist approach whose prices are fairly standard no matter where you buy the jeans. The sizing is notoriously odd, but if you buy the New Standard jeans and size down three inches from your tagged waist size, they will end up fitting very similarly to the Wranglers you posted. Their website sells them in small waist sizes to account for this.

Keep in mind also that A.P.C. generally makes raw, or unwashed, jeans made of selvedge fabric. They are of better quality than mainline Levi's, and will be dark and stiff when you first buy them. As you continue to wear them over a period of weeks, months, or even years, they will develop unique fading marks and stretch to fit you better than a pre-washed pair.

If you want to go that route, numerous detailed resources exist online to help you out with raw denim.
There are threads on this forum in the Streetwear and Denim section, and Hypebeast.com has a respectable collection of information as well.

http://hypebeast.com/forums/denim/the-official-a-p-c-denim-thread-596530/

I hope this helps.

Good luck on your search.

-VF

Hexagram

Reaction score
Hexagram, that's interesting that the 511's were baggy for you on the bottom. The 511's that fit well on my waist were baggy through my thighs and knees and tight on my calves. It sounds like it's pretty tough to gauge what fits you unless you are able to try it on or get the measurements. FWIW, many of my friends wear 511's just fine, and it has a slim/skinny look on them all around.

I didn't even try the 510's, because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get it up my legs. I haven't seen the 519's or 508's before, but I currently own 521's, which are slim tapered. They personally fit me well, slim and tapered but not skinny anywhere. It's a little big around the waist, but that's not a deal breaker to me. They might be too baggy for what you're looking for...

I also tried on 513's and 514's... 514's fit well for me around the thighs, but were too baggy for my liking going down since they are a straight cut. I think the 513's have a very slight taper below the knee, but they were pretty close to the 514's. I kind of liked the 513's, but I personally don't see much of a taper, although it could be something you can look into.

Yukihiro, that's strange about the 511's, it must be because i have quite big thighs. The 32 waist ones were close to skin tight at the top and great from the knee down, but then the 33 waist were alot better up top (not as tight) but the extra width meant the bottom was baggy so it looked out of shape. I think i need a fit that has a bit more room up top but a nice slim/tapered leg for the bottom.

I tired on the 519 slim the other day and they fit me very well, bit more room up top compared to the 511's (also added stretch) and nice and tapered at the bottom. The 514's don't sound like an option to me based on what you're saying, however the 513's and 521's sound good. I'm not sure what store's near me have them to try on though. I could try the Levi store in Brighton.

Last edited:

Hexagram

Reaction score
@ Von Franz - Yes, Levi's jeans are definitley more expensive over in the U.K. compared to the U.S.. I do like the idea of the A.P.C. jeans but i don't think there's anywhere local to me where i can try them on. I'm also a sucker for the Levi's so they are probably more favourable. Plus the store near me is doing 20% off all jeans!

chet31

Reaction score
I wear mostly 511 and 514. 511 is, to me, a slimmer fit, or "tighter" jean, 514 is a slim fit but a little roomier. If you want more tapered at the ankle vs. 511, I don't think 514 is the way to go.

Von Franz

Reaction score
@ Von Franz - Yes, Levi's jeans are definitley more expensive over in the U.K. compared to the U.S.. I do like the idea of the A.P.C. jeans but i don't think there's anywhere local to me where i can try them on. I'm also a sucker for the Levi's so they are probably more favourable. Plus the store near me is doing 20% off all jeans!

Sounds like a good enough reason to choose the Levi's.
You know, perhaps this is not the ideal solution, but you could always buy some of the 511's that fit you well up top and have the leg tapered for what would probably amount to 7 GBP or so. It'd also allow you to have the inseam exactly as long as works for you.

-VF

Hexagram

Reaction score
I just got a pair of 519's and i'm happy with them, they're well fitted and so much more comfortable compared to the 511's!

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
So 511 is an adaptation of the 501—it's standard but slimmer with a taper. The 511 trousers are very alfie/beatles/david hemming in BlowUp. I like them a lot. 510 is super skinny and hugs the legs much more. Higher rise and leaves little room for one's junk, as it were. I'm a skinny guy (5'6" 120 pounds) and 510 is a skinny fit.

Cant help with 519 but it seems to be of a higher line.

Flea Spray

Reaction score

Aren't they only available in the US though? I'm from the UK.
Debenhams probably has as wide a range as you can expect from a UK high street shop, and I can't see them. I've no idea what most of the Levi numbers on those pages mean though! Primark jeans may not look as good as Levis, but at leas they give then names like "Straight", "Comfort", "Boot", "Slim" and "Skinny" etc. If you can get 514s in UK shops, it'll probably be from smaller, independent retailers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads