1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Levi's 501

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mike C., Oct 24, 2004.

1. j

j Senior member Admin

Schott cafe racer is about 400, the naked leather one is 360 or so, IIRC.

Oh yeah, and on the Vanson the guy told me they are so stiff it will take 2-3 seasons (of riding and wearing all the time) for it to properly break in.

2. j

j Senior member Admin

Well, I wanted to this last summer, but it's the rainy season here now, so that's not happening. Here's one I was looking at (unrealistically):

3. j

j Senior member Admin

Yeah, it's a '61 R69S, about $8000, which would be okay if I didn't want to have a car. Plus as my first bike I would cry if I laid it down. I will probably get a Honda or something next spring to learn on.

4. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i have a ~40 waist; i'd like to end up with a 34 waist. i think i'll try it. [​IMG]

5. shuman

shuman Well-Known Member

Yeah, wouldnt we all.....Levi's 501's are the ONLY jean that fits me, much to the alas of my GF...She wants me in more fashionable jeans.

6. Horace

Horace Senior member

(Phil @ 26 Oct. 2004, 04:54) There are a few things about Levis 501s that make them special. First of all, consistency. Â Yes, the fit of them has evolved over time, but they are basically the same pair of jeans that you could have bought 50 years ago. Â Second, the button fly. Â I just dont like the feel and look of a pair of jeans without a button fly. Â It seems to make the fly area softer, if that makes any sense, and lie better, at least for me. Â Thirdly, someone had commented about the "washes" of the jeans not being very interesting. Â Thats kind of the point of 501s. Â People above a certain age, and even some who arent (im 31), actually look for jeans that dont have "special washes" . Â We like jeans to look like jeans. Â Which generally means a variety of blue (perhaps black, but I dont own any myself). Â No silly "whiskers" or heavy distressed areas. Â 501's come in a variety of colors, but whats nice is they have avoided some trendy details that you find on all the designer jeans these days. Â I guess what I am saying is its comforting to be able to walk into a Levis store, grab a pair of 34 waist, 32 inseam (in my case) 501s and walk out of the store and know they are gonna fit and that I will be happy with them. Â Concerning the actual fit, thats like anything else. Â Its totally subjective. Â Someone mentioned them fitting terribly on the thighs. Â For every person like that, there is someone else who loves the way they fit. Â Obviously one pair of jeans isnt going to fit every body out there. Â And lastly, along the sames lines, I like how they are impervious to changing trends and styles. Look at some pics from the 1970s. Â You see plenty of silly jeans. Â Flared legs, funky pockets etc. Â The guy who wore those probably thought he was really stylin' at the time. Â Ten years later he probably wanted to burn that picture. Â Same guy in a pair of 501s in that pic from the 70s looks just fine 10 or 20 or 30 years later. Â Perhaps the guy today wearing todays version of the silly trendy jean will want to burn his pic 10 years from now, who knows.
    Good post, thanks. Â I've only worn the 501's. Â And liked them quite a bit. Â I refuse to buy them now that they are made overseas, with the exception of the premium line. Â But I won't pay more than $30 or whatever the price used to be for a pair of jeans. Â It's just silly. Â So, hopefully the 501's I have will last while I do.
    Obviously I didn't stick to the plan and have waded into the water of new 501s. Interesting thread to read again.

7. Horace

Horace Senior member

(j @ 05 Nov. 2004, 3:00) I don't know if you need a 38. I think they suggest one to two inches over regular size in the waist. I'd check with them first before buying though. I know I bought some 517 shrink to fits (boot cut) in 34/36 and the length didn't shrink as much as the waist did. Incidentally, my 36 length shrink to fit has a really long rise, but it might be because they are 517s rather than the inseam. They are AFAIK the same price as the prewashed ones, or within a few dollars. All of these are under $40 retail in the US.
    Thanks What do you think about Schott jackets?
    I think the quality used to be very good. And didn't they have contracts with the US military? I think they've done reproductions of jackets since then.

8. tino8080

tino8080 New Member

I hate levis now..i have 5 pairs just purchased a 513 36x30 from jc penny,it ended being like 38x31 why cant They be consistent on their size..i dont know if its cause their made from different countries.now i have to try on before purchasing SUCKS...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  9. Levitruth

Levitruth New Member

Levi Jeans have caused damage to my car's leather seat which unfortunately now needs to be replaced.
    Their design is a liability that does need to be altered. And we sincerely hope that they will step up and accept responsibility for the damages which their product has caused us.
    I would Not recommend purchasing such a product that will cause damage to your home furniture and leather car seats.

In Sum, there are entirely too many other brands and more intelligent designed clothing to choose from in this world.