• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levi's 501 STF Dilema ...... NOOB Question

PVT4LIFE_NT

Reaction score
If this is a waste of your time i'm sorry but i'm just tryin to step my "Denim" game up so please help a brotha out
smile.gif
....Anyway here is my situation: ....Yesterday u bought a pair of Levi's Regular Fit 505 jeans (size 33x32) *My true size is 32x32* they are my ideal fit for jeans cuz i like the way the go with my Dunks and etc... PICS:
dsc03817ui6.jpg
dsc03818bg8.jpg
...and here are the 501 STF's i only bought cuz i had heard so man good things about em (size 34x32) *My true size is 32x32*
dsc03821hi6.jpg
dsc03824tj7.jpg
dsc03825cy1.jpg
i actually like em but for some reason i felt like they feel/look funny (cuz of how the zipper / button fly part looks extra long :| ) and i also wanted to know if i was to soak these first or wear them for a while before i soke em cuz i really wanted a look similar to this: (i know they wont fit just like these cuz these Evisus are clearly a diff type of cut but yea
blush.gif
)
evisu2000no2fitcu4.jpg
....wit the whiskers and honeycombs (if possible cuz these arent tight like them other dudes jeans) I have heard alot and some have told me to just wear ema dn some have told me to sok em fist and soe have even told me to return em and get size *30x32* because they will stretch which made me wonder "ont they stretch if i just were these ?" ...anyway i just wanted to ask u what your thoughts are ?
fing02[1].gif
~Should i soak em before i wear em ? ~Just wear em ? ~Return and get a diff size (my true size IS NOT availible
confused.gif
) ....i also wanted to know the diff between 501 STF's and 501xx 's and slo would these jeans still have there stiffness i I DO soak them ?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
you said you bought 34-32, but that your measurements were 32-32... you should have bought 34-34's in the STF to accomodate for shrinking.

i would return/exchange the jeans you have for 34-34's. then I would hot soak them for about an hour. then toss them in the dryer for 15 minutes or less (just long enough that they are damp, but not dripping). after all of this wear them as long as possible from there before washing them to achieve the desired effect.

robbie

Tengu

Reaction score
I would even get 34/36. The inseam will shrink approx. 2.5 inches after the first soak and, according to Levi's, jeans will keep shrinking up to the 10th wash (most of the shrinking done during first 3 washes). Rest of your shrinking method/advice is right on... --- Edit: PVT4LIFE_NT, what is the true inseam of those 505's on the first picture? After looking at it for the second time, if those are 32 (inseam) maybe you will be ok with 34/34 in STF. It all depends on how you like to wear your jeans...

thelion1856

Reaction score
yeah dont use 32 inseam if thats your true size for a shrink to fit jean. Also go with a 32 waist if thats your true size.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
He says his 501's inseam is 32 and the pic shows him cuffing them so I would leave it at 34/34 rather than 34/36.

Btw I'm pretty sure those Evisus are pretty similar to the 501. He just wears jeans in a smaller size than you. You should try smaller size on at the store to see if they look like the Evisus then size up two on the waist.

Tengu

Reaction score
He says his 501's inseam is 32 and the pic shows him cuffing them so I would leave it at 34/34 rather than 34/36.

Good point...

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you read the tag?
dsc03821hi6.jpg

STF in medium sizes like yours will shrink 1 inch in the waist and 2-3 inches in the inseam. Not from the tagged size, but from the size you have when you take it home.

uNotAzFreshAzImIz

Reaction score
501 STF are known for the baggy butt and high rise and " that long zipper "
Thing is you should try the 30 waist on because it might be 32" before shrinkage and the legs and everything might fit A LOT better than the 34's ..

Yes they will stretch out - just turn um inside out hot soak them an hour or so let them hang dry for an hour or two then wear them til while they are still damp .
That's the best way to stretch them back to your size

Of course that doesn't apply if you keep the 34's ..
either way hot soak them and get the shrinking out of the way .
with the 34's I would do it twice in hot water

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's what mine looked like after one 30 minute soak. They shrank 1 inch in the waist, 2.5 inches inseam. Amazing that these are the same model, huh?

Moral of the story is, you can achieve my balltight cowboy fit or your super loose fit and anything in between, depending on the size you select.

stf501.jpg

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
but if you want to cuff them as much as in your photo, or all most that much, go with a 36" inseam. Other wise get a 34".

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uNotAzFreshAzImIz
Very nice fit Tarmac !
How that booty sag though man ?

no booty sag, these are really tight.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zacharydschroeder
but if you want to cuff them as much as in your photo, or all most that much, go with a 36" inseam. Other wise get a 34".

Once again, the photo shows him wearing a 34x32 501 with about a 2" cuff. Therefore if he DOES want to cuff them while accommodating shinkage then he will still only need to size up 2" on the inseam (34x34).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads