Levis 501 new fit

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by intelintel37, Nov 19, 2008.

1. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

^ They do look goofy, imo, but not for the reason you stated. Jeans are longer than they are wide, so it's only logical that they shrink more in length than width for the proportions to remain the same.

2. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

That makes sense, although STF always looks weird to me when compared with preshrunk.

3. amnesiac

amnesiac Senior member

That makes sense, although STF always looks weird to me when compared with preshrunk.

It's the transmigration of souls. Metempsychosis.

4. bossman08

bossman08 Senior member

I just tried on a pair of 501 STFs today at Macys. I really like the feel and the fit of them, so I'm looking to purchase pair in a different size. I remember seeing that they were made in the Dominican Republic.

With regards to the new fit, is the consensus that the 'new fit' is made in Mexico, while the old fit is made in Domincan Republic?? I think I would actually prefer the old fit, since it seems to be a little looser in the thigh and leg, which I prefer. Is there anywhere to order the old fit models online? I may try to find a new fit tomorrow to see how it feels. Anyone know which fit Langston's is shipping now? They have the best prices I've seen on the interwebs..

5. sayocean

sayocean Senior member

my "new fit" is made in Mexico, my brother's "new fit" was made in DR. So i guess it just varies.

6. bossman08

bossman08 Senior member

Damn, I'm SOL then, since today was the first time I tried them on. Guess I'll have to order and hope for the best...

7. TDV

TDV Senior member

my sears still has the old fit (and judging by their overstock of inventory.. will have them for quite some time) my jcpenny has mostly new fits with the exception of their obscure small and large sizes.

As for where they are made I really don't see how it matters unless they are using different denims which I don't think is the case.

8. GiltEdge

GiltEdge Senior member

Looking at some of the fit pics they look very baggy. The people with same waists like 31,30, etc, their jeans look very large. I am a 34 but I am 6ft tall, i assume the fit might be better for me because the jeans will not be too long?

If that made sense lol

9. Chris2289

Chris2289 Senior member

Cool. I haven't bothered with Levis in the past few years but i might check them out if they have changed the cut

10. bossman08

bossman08 Senior member

Another issue I have with the 501s is the leg opening. I'm over 6 ft and feel the leg opening is kind of tight around my shoes....it only covers the tops of my shoes, so it makes them look big if I'm wearing low-top sneakers. Would buying a longer inseam and hemming them solve this problem? I get the impression that they are tapered from the knee down, so maybe a hem would provide another inch or two at the bottom.

11. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

I just tried on a pair of 501 STFs today at Macys. I really like the feel and the fit of them, so I'm looking to purchase pair in a different size. I remember seeing that they were made in the Dominican Republic. With regards to the new fit, is the consensus that the 'new fit' is made in Mexico, while the old fit is made in Domincan Republic?? I think I would actually prefer the old fit, since it seems to be a little looser in the thigh and leg, which I prefer. Is there anywhere to order the old fit models online? I may try to find a new fit tomorrow to see how it feels. Anyone know which fit Langston's is shipping now? They have the best prices I've seen on the interwebs..
    I have a new and an old. both are from DR. the Sears by my house still had (as of 2 weeks ago) old fit in the dark blue with gold stitching so I would assume they are still around here and there. If you really want a pair, I'll pick them up for you.

12. blackdarkeye

blackdarkeye Senior member

goddammit both of my sears dont have it as well as the jcpennys.And macys has like 5 pairs.

13. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

goddammit both of my sears dont have it as well as the jcpennys.And macys has like 5 pairs.

What size are you looking for?

14. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

Another issue I have with the 501s is the leg opening. I'm over 6 ft and feel the leg opening is kind of tight around my shoes....it only covers the tops of my shoes, so it makes them look big if I'm wearing low-top sneakers. Would buying a longer inseam and hemming them solve this problem? I get the impression that they are tapered from the knee down, so maybe a hem would provide another inch or two at the bottom.

I think you need to look at another cut then man. I'm 6'1 and I got the 501 STF in 31x36. After shrinking the leg opening is 8" across. I also measured the knee and that is just slightly over 8" (about 8.25"). I tried on different length inseams in the store and settled on 36 and the leg opening seemed about the same on the 34 and 36 so I don't think hemming a longer inseam will help much.

15. bossman08

bossman08 Senior member

I don't plan on doing the soaking and shrinking....i like them fresh and with the deep indigo color. I feel like the leg tapers from the knee down, so by getting a 36 length, I could hem a good portion to gain an inch or two. I folded back the leg opening on a couple in the store, and it was clear the leg opening was smaller. All I need is an inch or so, then it would be perfect.