• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis 501 new fit

changed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
I don't think I've ever seen a pair of nicely faded black jeans (that were not pre-distressed).

148nhvt.jpg

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nice. I guess now I have. How long were those worn?

changed

Reaction score
no idea... found those on first page of google.

TDV

Reaction score
Both the black and blue use synthetic indigo and will fade the same way. Natural indigo (plant dye) is blue but synthetic indigo can be made into pretty much any color. What makes indigo special is the size of the molecules, which have a hard time permeating through cotton fibers and allow it to flake away easily, vs ink.

The people who do a crappy job fading the black ones usually do poorly with their blue jeans. I have seen a couple of black ones that had nice fades just like I have seen dozens of blue STFs that looked terrible.

I thought by presoaked he was talking about the preshrunk ones, which have a noticably different color than STFs... that is until you wash them once.

changed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TDV
Both the black and blue use synthetic indigo and will fade the same way. Natural indigo is blue but synthetic indigo can be made into pretty much any color. What makes indigo special is the size of the molecules, which have a hard time permeating through cotton fibers and allow it to flake away easily.

The people who do a crappy job fading the black ones usually do poorly with their blue jeans. I have seen a couple of black ones that had nice fades just like I have seen dozens of blue STFs that looked terrible.

I thought by presoaked he was talking about the preshrunk ones, which have a noticably different color than STFs... that is until you wash them once.

I know this isn't the thread for it, but when you say "do a crappy job fading," that seems to imply that there is a correct and incorrect way to get fades. I started with a pair of Nudie Even Stevens and wore them for 5 straight months. I washed at 5 months and saw almost no fading. This leads me to believe that I did something wrong (wore them wrong?)

How do you achieve the correct fades?

changed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TDV
lol those aren't even STFs,

those are samuaris.

I know- he said he hadn't seen a good pair of black fades- didn't specify Levi STF

TDV

Reaction score
Originally Posted by changed
How do you achieve the correct fades?

depends on many factors, excessive washing, poor fit, poor choice of activities.

changed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TDV
depends on many factors, excessive washing, poor fit, poor choice of activities.

hmm... didn't wash until 5 months. wore them to class, wore them to the bar, ran and wrestled drunk in them, climbed trees...

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify... i was talking only about the Levi's 501 Shrink to fit jeans. When you buy them, they have a shiny grayish hue from starch. After you soak them, they get a deep dark blue which I dislike.

TDV

Reaction score
yeah I know, I also don't like them as much after a soak, they get hairy and soft..

a lot of people don't soak them for that reason, they just buy true to size, wear them for 6 months and keep that nice sheen for as long as possible.

TDV

Reaction score
Originally Posted by changed
hmm... didn't wash until 5 months. wore them to class, wore them to the bar, ran and wrestled drunk in them, climbed trees...

how did they turn out? pics?

changed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TDV
how did they turn out? pics?

just like they did the day I got them, except hairier and floppier than Jenna Jamson's ******.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads