• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Levi's 501 Alternative?

macher

Reaction score
Have a pair of USA made cone mills selvedge 501's and a couple pair of non selvedge non USA 501's. They fit me great. Seem like they are sort of slim. Want another pair of non selvedge Levi's zipper Fly and tried on 505's. Too relaxed at the seat.

Does anyone know what Levi's # in zipper fly would fit similar to 501's?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Big Muscle

Reaction score
A bit older topic but not to create a new one...

I normally wear Levi's 501 36x36, it fits great although the real sizing is different on each pair of same size - some is tighter, some is looser. But I would like to try something more tapered below the knee and I like the idea of Levi's 502 - described as regular through thigh with slightly tapered leg. Almost looks like tapered 501s with zipper and a little bit of stretch.

I went to Levi's shop but they didn't have size 36x36 in stock, so I just tried 36x32 to know to fit. The taper below the knee was excellent, but it was really tight in thighs and seat and the rise was much lower with comparison to 501s. I had feeling that the jeans does not stay at waist and will fall down. Sitting was uncomfortable although it didn't choke me probably due to the stretch material.

So I tried size 38x32. It fit perfectly in thighs, crotch and seat, but it was incredibly huge in waist. I would not even say that it is only 2" bigger. But I liked that W38 had more belt loops.

Both tried jeans were labeled Levi's premium with Big E red tab.

My questions -
If I stay with size 36x36 - is there any chance that the larger inseam (L36) will have any noticeable influence on the rise height and it will be higher on 36x36 with comparison to 36x32 ?
If I size up to size 38x36 - is there any chance it will shrink in waist after washing?
Any experience with sizing inconsistencies on these 502s? Any chance that another pair of W36 or W38 will be bigger or smaller respectively? Or should I rather look for a different alternative?

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.