• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levi 514 Selvedge

BlueWord

Reaction score
The tag says they're made in China, despite the Nihon Denim thing on the inside of the right pocket. So the same as mentioned earlier in this thread.

As far as Levi's go, though, I'd say these are a nice pair of jeans. Definitely heavier than any other pairs I've purchased from them.

notsure2505

Reaction score
If I measure from the button to the bottom seam for the rise, I'm getting 8.75" for the selvedge and 9" for the tumbled rigids. I've owned the tumbled rigids for quite awhile and they stretched quite a bit. I'm not sure if they stretch length wise on the rise. Also, the selvedge version does not seem to stretch nearly as much as my tumbled rigids (at least not as quickly).

Some of you mentioned you liked the feel of the tumbled rigids. The selvedge makes my tumbled rigids feel coarse and cheap. Overall I really like the selvedge version, though I'm still curious how they compare to other jeans in the $100-150 range.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about some fit pics up in here?

mr. burns

Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
How about some fit pics up in here?

the guy with the BLOG has them on his BLOG. they look like 501s on him though.

Dexter_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dexter_
Are these jeans raw or shrink to fit??

I figure I'd share this info in case anybody else has the same question as me...

I called their 800 number and they mentioned that the 514 selvedge is not raw, its pre-washed. I'll probably pick one up or the Gap denim whichever is still available at the stores.

bundestaag

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dexter_

I called their 800 number and they mentioned that the 514 selvedge is not raw, its pre-washed.

so youre saying that this denim wont shrink after soaking?
I tried them on and they felt great, only theyre not as stiff as other "premium" but the fit just a bit big, especially in the leg opening, i thought i can get it like how i wanted by soaking them before wearing them..
so this wont work eh? please someone respond before i buy them.. thanks guys

BlueWord

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty certain these aren't raw, they weren't stiff enough. Mine shrunk slightly from washing, but the leg opening continues to be too big for my liking. The 514 cut, in general is a little bit too loose from the knee down, I hope Levi's puts it through a revision at some point (and lengthens the rise!).

wqvong

Reaction score
Hey guys, Just got these in for 62.00$. Not bad, a little loose in the thigh area, but overall what I expected for Levis 514 cut.
IMG_3021.jpg
IMG_3022.jpg
IMG_3023.jpg
IMG_3025.jpg
IMG_3026.jpg
IMG_3027.jpg
IMG_3028.jpg
IMG_3029.jpg
IMG_3030.jpg
I just tuck in the excess length, I'm 30 inseam. Fit pics:
IMG_3033.jpg
IMG_3035.jpg
IMG_3038.jpg

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tuck is kind of weird.. Are you going to hem? I just wear mine cuffed right now..

Also mine look way skinnier and less tapered on me... Hmm

wqvong

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Tuck is kind of weird.. Are you going to hem? I just wear mine cuffed right now..

Also mine look way skinnier and less tapered on me... Hmm

Yea, I'm going to hem the pants. Waist wise, I can barely button it. The rest is a little loose, but its okay.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That looks great to me, not too trim, but trim enough.

Are you doing the shrink-to-fit before you hem? I did that with my RRL slims and found that I didnt need to hem anymore, but instead only needed a 2" turnup. (which i like better then a hem). No longer needed a 4" turnup that i started with.

Great boots also.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads