1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Levi 514 Selvedge

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by wcarson89, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Do you have a BLOG? Please tell us more about your BLOG? I've heard you have a BLOG?

2. marineabilly

marineabilly Member

I was waiting for someone to catch on. [​IMG]

Seriously, though, I'm thinking of getting a second pair jus to have.

3. rjeezy904

rjeezy904 Member

4. Munchy

Munchy Active Member

If anyone in Montreal is diggin these 514 selvage babies, I did spot them in both the Levi's stores in Eaton Center and Carrefour Laval. Seemed nice, but look identical to the 514 Imprint pair I bought last Spring.

saw them too in downtown mtl, but really for the $130 or so the cost in CDN, im shopping around for some N&F instead

5. gotlighters

gotlighters Senior member

i love the 514s. They fit me perfectly more than any other pair of jeans I own, even the expensive ones.

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

514s are too baggy on me in the waist I wear... I like the 511s better

I thought I had 514s all along, but it turns out I've only had 511s. I like them more, much sleeker cut.

7. notsure2505

notsure2505 Member

Just got a pair from the Levis shop. I'm a big fan of the 514 cut and the selvedge version is great. The only pair of premium jeans I own are the Iron Heart SEXIH07 which are made of a really heavy denim and totally different cut so I can't really compare them to the 514 selvedge. I'd be interested to hear how people compare them to another jean of similar cut and denim weight, but overall I'm happy with these. There are a few more details than the regular 514s. I'll post pics soon.

8. hobo_ken

hobo_ken Senior member

Can someone post some quality and fit pics of these?

9. mr. burns

mr. burns Senior member

someone was going to but i think he's too busy plugging his BLOG on forums.

10. shellshock

shellshock Senior member

Well, I decided to try to get a look at these in person instead of ordering online, so I went through the Levi's Store in San Francisco today. I didn't find the selvedge 514's, but I did see their new selvedge 501's and I was not impressed.

The 501's don't seem to be on the website, but they had the same $98 price tag and there were two kinds available, both with a tag explaining that they were selvedged and woven on narrow looms. One was presumably raw, and the other was horribly faded and distressed. The denim itself was rather lightweight and flimsy, though. It didn't have the crisp tight-woven quality nicer raw denim has. In other words, they were like regular Levi's but with a cheap-looking selvedge edge.

that store is SO annoying! i went today and while i didn't see the men's ones i saw the women's version and they looked crappy for the most part. the washed ones were awful and they have a selvedge line on the top of the back pockets that just looks ridiculous. all the sales associates were irritating and greeted me like 8 times.

11. Cool The Kid

If they don't wear, I don't care

lol

I'm curious to see how these fade.

12. marineabilly

marineabilly Member

I put up a few pics and a quick review for anyone interested.

13. Threak

Threak Senior member

that store is SO annoying! all the sales associates were irritating and greeted me like 8 times.

[​IMG]

14. Listi

Listi Senior member

Levi's are such classic jeans. There is something to be said for wearing a pair of Levi's... I'd love a pair of dry selvage 511's, made in America, with hidden rivets and a leather patch [​IMG] I don't think I'd buy 514's, not my fit.

15. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Levi's are such classic jeans. There is something to be said for wearing a pair of Levi's... I'd love a pair of dry selvage 511's, made in America, with hidden rivets and a leather patch [​IMG] I don't think I'd buy 514's, not my fit.

I really feel like selvedge 514 is skinnier than my rigid 514... Leather patch yes, hidden rivets no, but they are dark (err the rivets...)

16. Cool The Kid

That does sound pretty awesome I would settle for low rise 501 STFs. In fact if that was available I wouldn't have got my APCs Either that or the 514 Imprints... for some reason they're discontinued

17. notsure2505

notsure2505 Member

These are hemmed since I'm pretty short.
    Fit pics once I clean my place...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. dport86

dport86 Senior member

^^hey notsure--how did you find the fit being pretty short. Was in Parke and Ronen and Ronen himself was telling me to buy Matchstick's as Levi's is not going to make them any more. He derided these new selvedge ones as being only available in one length (34) and with a longer rise than the old 30 inseam Capital E's. He felt like they were mass marketing to big Americans and the longer rise would be unflattering to anyone not 6 feet tall. Your experience? The matchsticks are $75 bucks more and non-selvedge. But they do fit nice...

19. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

The rise is definitely not long, but then again, I wear 501 STFs too, what do I know..

20. notsure2505

notsure2505 Member

They feel the same as my tumbled rigids, but when I get back from my trip this weekend, I'll take measurements to compare and try to do some fit pics with both the tumbled rigids and the selvedge versions. I'm only 5'6" and I imagine they're hemmed down to about 29-30" or so. They're probably looser than on someone who is 6' but I don't consider them 'loose'. I'll let you guys decide once I post pics.