• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levi 1947 501 question

csandbothe

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought these online and sized up as recommended. I was wondering if I am supposed to soak these before wearing them.? These are shrink to fit so am I supposed to take them in the shower or something? or throw them in the wash? I appreciate the help and apologize in advance if these are silly questions.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it has been discussed in length before.

Hot soak in a tub for like 3-4 hours. Hang dry.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Maybe I had a bad experience, but I sized up for my raw Levis 501 (I'm a 34, bought a 36) and soaked them a few times and also threw them in the dryer (not for 3-4 hours, mind you, but I refuse to believe there's that big a difference between three soaks of 1 hour and one soak of 3 hours). There was minimal shrinkage in the waist and inseam. Frankly, I'm not happy -- I need to wear a tight belt to keep them up and the rise is too high.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Maybe I had a bad experience, but I sized up for my raw Levis 501 (I'm a 34, bought a 36) and soaked them a few times and also threw them in the dryer (not for 3-4 hours, mind you, but I refuse to believe there's that big a difference between three soaks of 1 hour and one soak of 3 hours). There was minimal shrinkage in the waist and inseam. Frankly, I'm not happy -- I need to wear a tight belt to keep them up and the rise is too high.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats very weird.. LVC definitly shrinks a size in the waist when hot soaked. Im a 32 and get 34 in LVC.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
The problem is that individual pairs vary somewhat in size, it says so in the booklet. Ideally you should be buying a pair which is just barely loose in the waist (snug but not constricting) and 2 inches too long in the inseam. But you would have to try this on to verify, not mail order.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Are you sure they were LVC, or Shrink-to-fits and not sanforized rigid 501's?

kbuzz

Reaction score
I agree on the mail order v. try on thing. I bought at least on 47 via mail order and despite tagged 38" it barely shrunk to a 36....too bad because im a 35...same thing for my lvc 33's

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Are you sure they were LVC, or Shrink-to-fits and not sanforized rigid 501's?

Yes; I'd shoot myself if I were that dumb. They were LVC 1947 501xx. It (basically said) "shrink-to-fit" on the paper insert and the salesman also said they shrink ~two sizes in the waist and 2-3" in the inseam.

csandbothe

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, I soaked them today and they shrunk up great. Although, they did not lose much dye at all. Is this normal? These are the new limited edition 1947 levi 501. Don't know if that makes a difference of not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads