1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Levels of zegna

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bigbadbuff, Oct 23, 2002.

1. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Distinguished Member

if anyone knows, help me list it, bottom to top. Zegna Sport Su Misura MilMil [​IMG] I have my eye on some Su Misura trousers that are on sale... the tag says regularly $350, and they are on sale for $140. Good deal for that line of Zegna?

2. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

The top of the line stuff is Napoli. Su misura is good also, and yes, that's a great deal. I'd jump on it.

3. bigbadbuff

thanks for the help. They sure do feel high end, very soft wool.

4. bigbadbuff

ok I just called, and it's under the Sartorial line, not Su Misura. I checked Zegna's site and looked at some things from the line... impressive IMO.

5. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

There's also the Yachting and Soft lines. I like the Yachting line a lot, sporty polos and stuff. Zegna Soft, though, I'm not overly impressed with.

6. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

"Su Misura" (to measure) is Zegna's made to measure line. You should not be able to find ready made tems in this line in a Zegna shop.

7. Joe G

Joe G Senior Member

In general, Zegna's lines go as follows.

Zegna Sport: Midgrade department store grade stuff sold for an insane marque premium. Worthless.

Zegna Soft: Fused-lining half-constructed jackets and lesser fabrics than less famous brands in the same price-range or lower. You're almost always better off going elsewhere. (Unless that elsewhere is the similarly underspec'd and overpriced Armani Collezioni.)

Zegna: Properly constructed jackets, boxy silhouette, solid upper-midgrade fabrics (Super 100s, Super 120s, cashmere blends). Are they "better" than a Canali or somesuch? Well, the silhouette is different, so it depends on your body-type and personal preferences.

Zegna Napoli: Properly constructed jackets, Neapolitan silhouette (similar to Kiton), excllent fabrics (15milmil15 is used a lot, as a lust camelhair, cashmere, and natural-fiber blends.).

Zegna Su Misura: Bespoke. Customer decides if it's a knockout or a horrorshow.

Milmil is not a line. Rather, 15milmil15 is a proprietary Zegna name for their Super 150's grade fabric. They use it for everything from suits to polo shirts, all to wonderful effect.

Should you buy the trousers? Well, they were made for someone else. If that person and you have similar body types, then it's a wonderful way to save some money. If that person and you have dissimilar body types, free is too much to pay.

Peace,

JG

8. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

JoeG: Where does Zegna Yachting fit in? Is that a part of the Sport line? I really like the Yacthing polos I saw recently. I agree with you on Zegna Soft, though.

9. ulf

ulf Well-Known Member

Zegna Soft gets slagged every now and then, so I made it a point to examine a couple of jackets when I went shopping a few days ago.

Yes, they were almost unstructured. The fabric and cut was OK. The overall feel was rather flimsy. I assume the Soft in the name refers to the fact that they are, well... soft? I'm curious as to how well they age, anyone have any experience?

Judging by the ones I examined, I'd hesitate to spend that amount of money for that kind of quality.

10. Fanthom

Fanthom Senior Member

Which line is "Tessuto Ermenegildo Zegna", and "Trofeo" and "Traveller"?

Anyone?

Marcus

11. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Ermenegildo Zegna (just like Cerutti, Barbera, Loro Piana) is first and foremost a cloth mill. They made fabric long before they made suits, let alone all the other bits. They are still making cloth and sell it to garment manufactures and bespoke tailors. "Tessuto Ermenegildo Zegna" means simply "Fabric EZ" and "Trofeo" and "Traveller" are ranges of fabric. These labels often appear in addition to the manufacturers label.

12. Fanthom

Fanthom Senior Member

Very interesting. The reason I asked is that I have corresponded with a store who claims to sell Zegna suits for a very low price. On my inquiry, they said that the suits were of the types described in my post.

I assume that this means that these suits are not "Zegna" suits (i.e. not designed by Zegna under the "Zegna" label).

Marcus

13. Joe G

Joe G Senior Member

I can't say I've ever seen anything branded "Zegna Yachting". Are you sure you're not confusing it with Paul & Shark?

Peace,

JG