1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Letting out Minnis Fresco suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JohnnyCrockett, Jul 9, 2010.

1. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Senior member

How complicated an alteration is letting out the waist of a suit jacket by 0.5-1" from the sides? What should the NYC cost be to do this? Just dropped off a suit which I love at L&S Tailors (on E61, not LS!) and feel that they understood what I wanted but also kind of wanted me to just drop the jacket and leave rather than being receptive to specific instructions. Price also seemed high at $65 but I've never had this done so I don't know what the right price is. Would you trust them to do this alteration? The fabric on this is 11/12 oz Minnis Fresco. Will there be crease marks or holes from letting this out? I'm sure it's all fine but wanted to check as I don't want to screw up the suit. It's mainly SF-type OCD which compelled me to bring the jacket in for alteration in the first place. I would be upset if it came back worse than it went in. Thank you.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Will there be crease marks or hole from letting this out?[/b]

No.

3. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Price also seemed high at $65 but I've never had this done so I don't know what the right price is.

I've had this done one one sport coat. It was in the DC area and went to a reputable tailor, although not one of the most pricey ones in town. Cost was in the $60-80 range. Don't remember exactly as it was part of a big group of alterations on two jackets and one pair of pants and I just paid the lump sum with no itemized bill.

4. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Senior member

Thank you both Manton and Scurvy. So it seems neither fabric nor price is a problem.

How complicated is a job like this? Is it the kind of thing any halfway competent tailor can do, or is it something that you'd only trust to a really well-respected tailor, and if the latter, whom would you recommend to do it (I'm not above going back to L&S Monday AM to reclaim the jacket before they start work!)

5. Peak and Pine

Peak and Pine Senior member

It is not complicated. It's simple. Even do-it-yourself. Tho I've never let a jacket out, I've taken all mine in. The price quoted is probably fair, especially if there is lining to re-sew. May I ask: what is your indication that you need this done?

6. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

If there are no vents it is a good price and a bargain if you have side vents that will be remade when letting out. If they have to open the armhole to make a clean line of it, the price is cheap.

7. gbrown_nyc

gbrown_nyc Senior member

Question for the tailors, what happens when you let out a jacket from the centre seam? I took a cashmere Borrelli that I love to Cardelinos today and the son said he could let it out 3/4" without any problems. I'm always happy with their work and generally in awe if any skilled craftsmen so I'm not in a panic about the result but am curious about what happens to the rest of the jacket - how is the collar affected, the shoulders, sleeve length etc. I'd have asked Cardelino but I figure he gets enough grief from detail obsessed Manhattenites. Far better to have my obsessions satisfied by similary obsessed strangers on the Internet.