Letting a suit out

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by antirabbit, Jul 5, 2007.

1. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Hi,
    I just took possesion of a lovely new suit. It is a bit tight, but not much. Is there normally an amount that can be let out of the belly area? Or do I need to lose more weight, or not button it?
    The pants are almost spot on, but there is plenty of fabric to let out.
    Do most manufacturers make suits with a little extra to let out?
    The shoulders are perfect, just the area in the button areas are tight.
    Thanks!
    C

2. landshark

landshark Senior member

Well losing weight is free (depends, actually) and you might look better for it. I'm not too familiar with suit construction so I won't comment on letting it out.

3. deantran

deantran Member

Lose more weight. You'll be grateful that you did. [​IMG]

4. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

Interesting post.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Wow spammers are really formal. Wearing tuxedos to work.

[​IMG]

6. Chargersfan

Chargersfan Senior member

You can let a suit jacket or sport coat out in most instances....but it depends on the maker. Feel along the back seam on either side for extra material. If the seams are on the sides instead of the centre back, do the same. If you're not sure, take it to a tailor and they should be able to let you know in secs whether there is anything to let out. Bear in mind that usually you can only let out about 1" tops...

7. Martin Stall

Martin Stall Senior member

You can let a suit jacket or sport coat out in most instances....but it depends on the maker. Feel along the back seam on either side for extra material. If the seams are on the sides instead of the centre back, do the same. If you're not sure, take it to a tailor and they should be able to let you know in secs whether there is anything to let out. Bear in mind that usually you can only let out about 1" tops...

Don't know where you got you're info, but I'm afraid you're rather off the mark. Most factory-made coats have only the seam inlay, without any extra cloth for letting out.

OP:
    Take it to a tailor, because if you're very lucky, your coat might be the exception.

8. SuitedNBooted

SuitedNBooted Well-Known Member

I had the waist let out, not once but twice, on an RLBL suit that was perfect in the shoulders (I have narrow shoulders). It worked out fine.

You are much better off doing that instead of sizing up until it fits in the waist.

The only question is will the suit take it?

9. Chargersfan

Chargersfan Senior member

Don't know where you got you're info, but I'm afraid you're rather off the mark. Most factory-made coats have only the seam inlay, without any extra cloth for letting out.

OP:
    Take it to a tailor, because if you're very lucky, your coat might be the exception.

I got my info from having had this done at my tailor - on more than one occasion. One jacket of which was an Isaia V-base, so not just a cheap 'mall suit'. Fits great now...so I have no idea what you are on about.

10. Martin Stall

Martin Stall Senior member

Just that as a rule, there isn't any cloth to let out. I've altered plenty, and it's simply not often that you find a coat that does. Maybe manufacturers nowadays are getting wise. In which case, I'm all for it.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Wow spammers are really formal. Wearing tuxedos to work.
    Formal, but they also don't know the rules. They should be wearing strollers in the daytime.

12. JG000

JG000 Senior member

Hi, I just took possesion of a lovely new suit. It is a bit tight, but not much. Is there normally an amount that can be let out of the belly area? Or do I need to lose more weight, or not button it? The pants are almost spot on, but there is plenty of fabric to let out. Do most manufacturers make suits with a little extra to let out? The shoulders are perfect, just the area in the button areas are tight. Thanks! C
    Holy smokes, I'm in the exact same predicament as the OP. Just got a blazer off eBay yesterday that fits PERFECTLY on the shoulders/ arms but a size too tight across the stomach. For now, my solution is to leave it unbuttoned and try shedding a pound or two (though I'm fairly slim to begin with). I'm also bringing it to a tailor to see if there's anything they can do. Crazy idea I had; maybe move the button slightly to the left, allowing more space when it's closed. Would that work?

13. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

I got my info from having had this done at my tailor - on more than one occasion. One jacket of which was an Isaia V-base, so not just a cheap 'mall suit'. Fits great now...so I have no idea what you are on about.

+1. do note though that isaia typically comes with a lot of extra material -- you can even see this in the sleeves (a godsend for long-armed chimps like me.)

i suspect a cheaper suit will have very little extra material, if any.

14. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

Holy smokes, I'm in the exact same predicament as the OP.

Just got a blazer on eBay yesterday that fits PERFECTLY on the shoulders/ arms but a size too tight across the stomach.

For now, my solution is to leave it unbuttoned and try shedding a pound or two (though I'm fairly slim to begin with). I'm also bringing it to a tailor to see if there's anything they can do.

Crazy idea I had; maybe move the button slightly to the left, allowing more space when it's closed. Would that work?

not a great idea. it will show. the quarters and button point won't overlap in the front as they normally would, and the look will immediately seem off-kilter.

i'm assuming that you are planning on moving the button by more than a few millimeters, obviously. if you are talking only a few mm and this will really make a difference, then i would conclude that the jacket is probably less tight than you think it is and you are better off shedding a couple of pounds...)

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Holy smokes, I'm in the exact same predicament as the OP.

Just got a blazer off eBay yesterday that fits PERFECTLY on the shoulders/ arms but a size too tight across the stomach.

For now, my solution is to leave it unbuttoned and try shedding a pound or two (though I'm fairly slim to begin with). I'm also bringing it to a tailor to see if there's anything they can do.

Crazy idea I had; maybe move the button slightly to the left, allowing more space when it's closed. Would that work?

I generally don't like doing the button move thing. It throws off the stance in most cases. I have this problem with a few suits with the bottom button. I am pretty slim, but I have these lovehandles that make the quarters of the jacket open up so the bottom button doesn't fall in line with the buttonhole. It is generally last on my list of priorities to get it let out slightly because the bottom button never gets buttoned anyway, but if the top button won't button it would bother me more so that I would seek advice of a tailor. It shouldn't take them too long to advise on whether they can let it out a bit or not.