• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Talk Sportcoats

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, believe it or not, I only have one sport coat (that fits). It's a dark navy job by Corneliani that you may have seen in some of the pictures I've posted in the what are you wearing thread. I'm desperately in need of a second sport coat, and I was wondering what you fellas recommend. I need somethign that's going to be pretty versatile for now since it will only be my second sport coat. Any ideas?

I'm thinking something like this:

5284770gs1.jpg

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I would go for something more plain, like a medium brown herringbone tweed. That coat is very distinctive looking -- people aren't going to forget it's the one you wore the week before. It looks nice, though.

or charcoal cashmere herringbone

Try on a lot of them and then return to the ones you found suited your skin tone and needs best.

Have fun. Wish I could join you shopping.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What size are you? You look like maybe a 42R in the pics. If you are a 40R, hit up Century 21 whenever you get a chance. They have been getting a ton of Corneliani sportcoats - price should be around $400, but they will get marked down.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're looking at tweeds, I highly recommend taking a look at the Orvis website or an Orvis catalogue. I don't know that I'd buy from them (I've heard middling things about quality/fit), but they have a wide range of tweed fabric styles that you can view all in one place. It's a good indicator of what might be out there.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why not a classic Blue Blazer. You can't get more versatile than that!

And yes there are variations. The particular shade of blue. Type of fabric and weight. SB or DB. 2 or 3 Button if SB. Vented or unvented. # of vents.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for some of the suggestions. With respect to the plain blue blazer, I guess there are two reasons why I won't be getting one. First, a plain blue blazer is very similar to the navy sport coat I already have. Second, I guess I'm just not a blue blazer kind of guy.

I like the idea of a brown or charcoal herringbone though.

As for size, I'm a 42 long. I'll probably go to C21 and check out what they have. They had a lot of neat stuff at the Paramus location last time I was there (where I picked up a plain navy Isaia 3 button suit). Any other suggestions?

Btw, that one I pictured, I don't know if it will be my next blazer, but I will have it, oh yes, I will.+

Edit: Also, just to mention, I wear a suit probably 3 or 4 days a week, so the sport coat is for the 1 or 2 days that I don't, and I can alternate it with the blue one that I now wear every time I don't wear a suit.

Schmiddy

Reaction score
I have a navy and olive houndstooth 3-button jacket that I can wear with almost anything. Very sharp, always gets compliments. I would avoid "busier" tweeds, because they limit your ability to wear patterned shirts, pants, or ties.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how old you are, but how about something more modern, like a Jil Sander or Zegna-made Gucci black one? It's the blue blazer for people under 50.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first 2 sportcoats were a navy blazer and a black/white herringbone. While I think herringbone is probably just as distinctive as a plaid, it is easier to coordinate and probably a better second purchase. But I suggest that if you love the jacket pictured, buy it now before it gets away. Then save your pennies for something else. My sartorial regrets all involve purchase I didn't make.

As an alternative to herringbone, I would suggest a Donegal tweed in predominantly brown or gray. It's basically a solid, but the flecks of color make it extremely versatile and easy to coordinate. Yet another possibility is a brown corduroy jacket. I bought one last year and I'm astonished by how often I wear it during Fall, Winter, and even Spring.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
My first 2 sportcoats were a navy blazer and a black/white herringbone. While I think herringbone is probably just as distinctive as a plaid, it is easier to coordinate and probably a better second purchase. But I suggest that if you love the jacket pictured, buy it now before it gets away. Then save your pennies for something else. My sartorial regrets all involve purchase I didn't make.

As an alternative to herringbone, I would suggest a Donegal tweed in predominantly brown or gray. It's basically a solid, but the flecks of color make it extremely versatile and easy to coordinate. Yet another possibility is a brown corduroy jacket. I bought one last year and I'm astonished by how often I wear it during Fall, Winter, and even Spring.

I am with Thinman. I used to wear sportcoats to go out to dinner etc, but find that they actually serve better as weekend and afternoon wear. They are great for just bumping around. The further you get from suity, the better. That being said, I am a blue blazer kind of guy. When I travel, I generally pack a blue blazer and a grey suit. They are enough to get me through a lot of days. If need be, I will just add another grey suit. Tweeds are nice on the heavier and rougher side. I shy away from the lightweight ones because they look a little fake. Herringbone is always a great option, as is windowpane.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
I don't know how old you are, but how about something more modern, like a Jil Sander or Zegna-made Gucci black one? It's the blue blazer for people under 50.

hmm, you may be on to something. I'm 25 (though, I work in kind of a conservative environment). Maybe I'll have to just g et two sportcoats at the same time (or 3).

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy is much more versatile than black unless you already have a wardrobe full of pastels and jewel tones.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell

Yeah, I'm North of 50, and I love traditional Blue Blazers!

And, come to think of it, I don't like the thin lapel look(i.e. Jil Sander), nor plain front pants.

But don't forget SGladwell. One day you shall be North of 50
laugh.gif

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stick to brown and olive tones in wool/cashmere for fall/winter and to tan and lighter colors in wool/linen/silk blends for spring/summer (stay away from greys and black - unless it's for going out at night). I love windowpanes but they can be more difficult to coordinate than houndstooth and herringbone patterns.

This is a very nice 42L by Barbera http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-LUCIANO-BARB...QQcmdZViewItem

This RLBL is a great and very versatile coat for fall/winter imo - great deal at BIN http://cgi.ebay.com/1-050-NWT-POLO-R...QQcmdZViewItem

I really like this one too and the price is unbeatable http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-825-NICK-HIL...QQcmdZViewItem

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads