• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk jacket length. Boxy/slim how short can you go?

KtownGreg

Reaction score
In response to a WAYWT post, fellow SFer suggested my jackets lengths were a bit long. I've been reworking many of my pieces after finding SF in search of better fit. Many items have been taken in but I always felt the length acceptable. Examples:

L1010889.jpg
L1010836.jpg

L1010712.jpg
Feb12009-02-16.jpg

Does one continue with the old rules of jacket length fitting into cupped (bent fingers) or does the recent shift toward slim suits push jacket length north?

Slimming pants and tailoring jackets have helped me create a more trim look. How short does one need to go to add the illusion of height? I suspect this is no "rule" and it may be personal taste??

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't a little below your backside meant to be a better guideline than into your cupped hand? As the length of the jacket has to suit your body length, not your arm length.

I am by no means an expert, but some of your jackets look a bit long - particularly the first, too long and boxy, also the trousers in the last picture look much to baggy, at least to my eye.

On a slight aside I like that in all the picture you are striking a heroic pose, eyes to the sky, you look like you are about to launch into the air to right wrongs.

KtownGreg

Reaction score
Interesting. I remember my grandfather telling me to put the jacket on and cup my hands. If the jacket fell comfortably into my palm he said it fit. He was NOT a tailor but I've used this ever since when buying a jacket. What ref. do others use?

My jackets may be a bit long. The pants you mention have undergone dramatic reduction. As to the pose. It's me asking for a little sartorial help.

Thanks for responding.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The length of your jackets looks fine to me.

calvinloke

Reaction score
I knew this is coming. For me I like jackets to reach the knuckles of my fingers.

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
I would perhaps also argue that the length of your trousers are a bit on the longer side. Especially on the last picture. Just to shorten them a bit might have the wanted effect to ad height.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ktown,

2, 3 and 4 look fine.

1 looks a hair long, but it wouldnt bother me.

the shorter jackets are definetly more popular now, but a jacket with more open quarters does more for that effect then the length.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KtownGreg
Interesting. I remember my grandfather telling me to put the jacket on and cup my hands. If the jacket fell comfortably into my palm he said it fit. He was NOT a tailor but I've used this ever since when buying a jacket. What ref. do others use?

Ktown - when you do this, does the hem of the jacket fall into the middle of your palm or into your fingers?

Some of your jackets definitely look a touch longer (fingers) while others look fine (palm).

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^+1. I think the blazer in the last pic looks good, but the pants aren't helping it.

You could go a little shorter, but they don't look egregiously long to me.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Ktown,

2, 3 and 4 look fine.

1 looks a hair long, but it wouldnt bother me.

the shorter jackets are definetly more popular now, but a jacket with more open quarters does more for that effect then the length.

I agree with SG. For you, the key is to avoid boxy cuts.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being embarrasingly short, I struggle with jacket length as well. I think part of the problem can result from a contrast between jackets and pants. For example, the jacket in the second picture appears to have the best length, and I think part of that may come from the fact that it doesn't have the same contrast in colors as do the other outfits. I think PG once pointed out (and I echoed his comments) in WAYWRN that suits really help counter shortness, because you don't break up the body. Another guide for determining appropriate length is to compare the length of your coat to the length from the bottom of the coat to the hem of your pants. These proportions should be relatively close. If you notice below, most of your proportions are pretty close, except the first picture, which is a bit off to me.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
+1 to zbromer.

Ktown, your jacket length look good to me except for #1 which looks a tad long. I think your best bet is a trimmer cut jacket with more open quarters as skinny pointed out. Darker colors and suits (as opposed to contrasting jacket and trou) will also help. I like #4 jacket the best for fit, but you could really slim down those trou: taper with no break.

For determining jacket length I like Flusser's method that zbromber mentioned: the length of the jacket from collar seam to hem should be about the same as from hem to floor. My personal preference is that the jacket totally cover the seat and crotch seam so that there are two distinct pant legs that emerge from under the jacket.

KtownGreg

Reaction score
Great input guys. Thanks for the interesting approaches. PG has been on me to hit Chan's.
I simply spend most of my day without the coat (nes.) and have shunned suits. I'm beginning to see I need to consider other options.

Sebastian

Reaction score
I don't mean to go off-topic, but I saw this pic of Howard Hughes on Tom Mahons Blog.

howardhughes.jpg

Do you think the lenght works?
I aquired two double breasted jackets for summer and they are about the same lenght (maybe not that short). Do you think a jacket can be shorter, if you wear it in a casual-summer setting?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads