• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk Homemade Pizza

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I would like to learn about real, legit, Napolitan pizza. Anyone have any book recommendations?

You won't be able to pull it off at home without an oven that can reach over 800 degrees Fahrenheit.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
You won't be able to pull it off at home without an oven that can reach over 800 degrees Fahrenheit.

I know, but I plan on getting one.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
I think this is largely a myth. The dough is the hardest part.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made it again tonight and will post pictures later. I definitely need a pizza stone. I was able to get my over to 550 and the center of the crust still wasn't quite crunchy enough. I think a pizza stone should solve the issue perfectly. Are they all the same? I've seen them anywhere from $10 to $50.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
I made it again tonight and will post pictures later. I definitely need a pizza stone. I was able to get my over to 550 and the center of the crust still wasn't quite crunchy enough. I think a pizza stone should solve the issue perfectly. Are they all the same? I've seen them anywhere from $10 to $50.
The thicker the better, but I wouldn't pay more than $25 for one. Make sure there is some convenient way to pull it out of the oven (which is where tiles may not be so great). I can be a bit of a klutz sometimes when armed with a peel, so I prefer to remove the stone to place the pizza atop it. I did some experiments today: First pizza was baked at 450 degrees, second one at 550+. The 450 pizza took considerably longer (d'uh), and by the time the toppings were done, the bottom crust was kinda hard and dense. Not terrible, but not my favourite. The second one was quick, and the bottom was slightly crispy, yet spongy on the inside. Definitely better. What I don't like about cranking my oven up so high is that the corn meal starts burning quite quickly on the pizza stone, which produces smoke.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
Subscribed. I made pizza once and the dough did not come out the way I wanted it to. It had the texture of cardboard.
I once had this problem with the crust on a pecan pie. I'd taken it to the house of a friend at holiday time. When it was time for dessert, the host asked if I'd brought a chain saw.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I once had this problem with the crust on a pecan pie. I'd taken it to the house of a friend at holiday time. When it was time for dessert, the host asked if I'd brought a chain saw.

What a gracious host...

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
The thicker the better, but I wouldn't pay more than $25 for one.
Make sure there is some convenient way to pull it out of the oven (which is where tiles may not be so great).
I can be a bit of a klutz sometimes when armed with a peel, so I prefer to remove the stone to place the pizza atop it.

I did some experiments today:
First pizza was baked at 450 degrees, second one at 550+.

The 450 pizza took considerably longer (d'uh), and by the time the toppings were done, the bottom crust was kinda hard and dense. Not terrible, but not my favourite.

The second one was quick, and the bottom was slightly crispy, yet spongy on the inside. Definitely better.

What I don't like about cranking my oven up so high is that the corn meal starts burning quite quickly on the pizza stone, which produces smoke.

I'll see what I can find and report back. I'm also going to go to the local farmer's market tomorrow with rach2jlc to buy some quality ingredients. I've never been. I'm really hoping they have an Italian place or somewhere that makes fresh mozzarella.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
What a gracious host...
It was a VERY good friend.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alton Brown said to get an unglazed quarry tile to use in place of a pizza stone. It's about a dollar.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a glazed pizza stone for Christmas. The glaze makes clean up a snap.

I'm working on sauce and toppings so far. I have bought the refrigerated dough from Trader Joes and have had good luck. I like the plain dough the best.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Alton Brown said to get an unglazed quarry tile to use in place of a pizza stone. It's about a dollar.

Can these be had at Home Depot?

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
180065_10150089969239631_536224630_6001246_229131_n.jpg
caramelized onion / goat cheese vs. prosciutto / arugula dough rest at room temp 2 hrs. cooked on the gas grill. both sides of dough grilled, then topping assembled. Closest ive come to neopolitan crust @ home. Blasted under the broiler real quick to finish cheese melt. Super crisp thin crust.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads