• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk Homemade Pizza

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I haven't made pizza in well over a year, due to my dietary changes, but I would put a pizza stone in the often at 500 and let it heat for 45-60 minutes. Pizza would only take about eight minutes.

I think beginners overlook this step for the most part. There is a big difference preheating your oven with the stone in to 500 and also preheating the stone. What you refer to is key in the process. When we cook on the grill we split between directly on the grill and using the stone. Since our apt is about 900 sq ft preheating our oven at 500 for 45 mins raises the temp significantly, especially in the summer. I feel I can get the Weber Genesis hotter than our Bosch gas range fwiw.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
I think beginners overlook this step for the most part. There is a big difference preheating your oven with the stone in to 500 and also preheating the stone. What you refer to is key in the process. When we cook on the grill we split between directly on the grill and using the stone. Since our apt is about 900 sq ft preheating our oven at 500 for 45 mins raises the temp significantly, especially in the summer. I feel I can get the Weber Genesis hotter than our Bosch gas range fwiw.

not to derail, but i've been making a lot of focaccia lately. the recipe from carol field is terrific.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Said it in the last homemade pizza threak: secret to the dough is to have it rise overnight in the fridge. It's how to get the really good gluten network thing going so you can stretch the dough into a "window pane." Crispy and thin yet chewy is the goal. After you knead your dough, get it in a nice ball, coat with olive oil, place in large bowl and then lay plastic wrap over top so it is in contact with the dough but has excess on the sides, so that as the dough rises, the plastic will maintain contact.
What is the purpose of the cold temperature? My dough never makes it to the fridge. I just put it under a small lamp for 8-10 hours for it to rise. I'll usually do it in the morning and then make it for dinner.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
What is the purpose of the cold temperature? My dough never makes it to the fridge. I just put it under a small lamp for 8-10 hours for it to rise. I'll usually do it in the morning and then make it for dinner.

a lot of the newer artisanal bakers are doing this (most of them) ... marsupialing fermentation. they claim (and tasting side-by-side, i agree) that it allows a longer period of enzymatic action that improves the flavor of the bread. that said, of the two focaccia's i wrote about, i prefer the non-fermented one (though it is less bread-like).

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
Did I miss the actual recipe?
The writeup is nice, but I can't seem to find that particular recipe anywhere.

There is a link to the recipe to the left of the text. "Focaccia Bread Recipe from Genoa."

On a side note I have also bought a digital scale to measure everything out for breadmaking. It makes everything so much easier.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did I miss the actual recipe?
The writeup is nice, but I can't seem to find that particular recipe anywhere.

On the left, just at the start of the article, there are two links that say "recipe". They are it.

Here they are http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,7002001.story
http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,6346640.story

Actually I'm mostly giving you a hard time. I had to do a CTRL-F to find them myself
blush.gif

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
There is a link to the recipe to the left of the text. "Focaccia Bread Recipe from Genoa."
got it, thanks.

On a side note I have also bought a digital scale to measure everything out for breadmaking. It makes everything so much easier.
Is it really that useful? I never use mine, but I guess I could give it a try. I've read that external factors like air humidity affect the moisture of the dough to such an extent that the flour to water ratio is more a rule of thumb than a constant.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
got it, thanks.

Is it really that useful? I never use mine, but I guess I could give it a try. I've read that external factors like air humidity affect the moisture of the dough to such an extent that the flour to water ratio is more a rule of thumb than a constant.

I am not sure if you can apply that rule if you are baking different breads or are an amateur like myself. Maybe if you are making pasta or pizza dough it might be easier to mix by feel. I am sure a professional baker knows how to adjust their percentages to account for humidity or elevation. In order to do so you still need to figure out how much flour you are using to account +/- for water.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
anyone can make a sourdough starter, all you need is your flour and some 100% pineapple juice, and a week or so.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
anyone can make a sourdough starter, all you need is your flour and some 100% pineapple juice, and a week or so.

We've used grapes.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't made pizza in well over a year, due to my dietary changes, but I would put a pizza stone in the often at 500 and let it heat for 45-60 minutes. Pizza would only take about eight minutes.

this is how i do it, either in the oven or the webber

do you eat no refined carbs whatsoever? i try and eat more 'paleo' during the week but would crack if i couldnt have pizza or a burger once a week...

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just made the pizza dough recipe by Jim Lahey "no knead" tonight. We'll see how it comes out tomorrow.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my test kitchen manager had some fun last year converting a home oven into a pizza oven using two pizza stones (one on top, one underneath) and a set of firebricks along the sides. preheat that sucker and it really turned the pizzas out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads