• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

    The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

    If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Lets talk Homemade Pizza

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
3,663
Reaction score
424
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I would like to learn about real, legit, Napolitan pizza. Anyone have any book recommendations?


You won't be able to pull it off at home without an oven that can reach over 800 degrees Fahrenheit.
 

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 14, 2007
Messages
4,324
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
You won't be able to pull it off at home without an oven that can reach over 800 degrees Fahrenheit.

I know, but I plan on getting one.
 

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
2,215
Reaction score
54
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
You won't be able to pull it off at home without an oven that can reach over 800 degrees Fahrenheit.
I think this is largely a myth. The dough is the hardest part.
 

randallr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2008
Messages
4,049
Reaction score
5
I made it again tonight and will post pictures later. I definitely need a pizza stone. I was able to get my over to 550 and the center of the crust still wasn't quite crunchy enough. I think a pizza stone should solve the issue perfectly. Are they all the same? I've seen them anywhere from $10 to $50.
 

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
1,610
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by randallr
I made it again tonight and will post pictures later. I definitely need a pizza stone. I was able to get my over to 550 and the center of the crust still wasn't quite crunchy enough. I think a pizza stone should solve the issue perfectly. Are they all the same? I've seen them anywhere from $10 to $50.
The thicker the better, but I wouldn't pay more than $25 for one. Make sure there is some convenient way to pull it out of the oven (which is where tiles may not be so great). I can be a bit of a klutz sometimes when armed with a peel, so I prefer to remove the stone to place the pizza atop it. I did some experiments today: First pizza was baked at 450 degrees, second one at 550+. The 450 pizza took considerably longer (d'uh), and by the time the toppings were done, the bottom crust was kinda hard and dense. Not terrible, but not my favourite. The second one was quick, and the bottom was slightly crispy, yet spongy on the inside. Definitely better. What I don't like about cranking my oven up so high is that the corn meal starts burning quite quickly on the pizza stone, which produces smoke.
 

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
10,084
Reaction score
381
Originally Posted by NAMOR
Subscribed. I made pizza once and the dough did not come out the way I wanted it to. It had the texture of cardboard.
I once had this problem with the crust on a pecan pie. I'd taken it to the house of a friend at holiday time. When it was time for dessert, the host asked if I'd brought a chain saw.
 

randallr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2008
Messages
4,049
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by RSS
I once had this problem with the crust on a pecan pie. I'd taken it to the house of a friend at holiday time. When it was time for dessert, the host asked if I'd brought a chain saw.

What a gracious host...
 

randallr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2008
Messages
4,049
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by Redwoood
The thicker the better, but I wouldn't pay more than $25 for one.
Make sure there is some convenient way to pull it out of the oven (which is where tiles may not be so great).
I can be a bit of a klutz sometimes when armed with a peel, so I prefer to remove the stone to place the pizza atop it.

I did some experiments today:
First pizza was baked at 450 degrees, second one at 550+.

The 450 pizza took considerably longer (d'uh), and by the time the toppings were done, the bottom crust was kinda hard and dense. Not terrible, but not my favourite.

The second one was quick, and the bottom was slightly crispy, yet spongy on the inside. Definitely better.

What I don't like about cranking my oven up so high is that the corn meal starts burning quite quickly on the pizza stone, which produces smoke.


I'll see what I can find and report back. I'm also going to go to the local farmer's market tomorrow with rach2jlc to buy some quality ingredients. I've never been. I'm really hoping they have an Italian place or somewhere that makes fresh mozzarella.
 

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
10,084
Reaction score
381
Originally Posted by randallr
What a gracious host...
It was a VERY good friend.
 

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
5,794
Reaction score
477
Alton Brown said to get an unglazed quarry tile to use in place of a pizza stone. It's about a dollar.
 

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
20,355
Reaction score
5,653
I got a glazed pizza stone for Christmas. The glaze makes clean up a snap.

I'm working on sauce and toppings so far. I have bought the refrigerated dough from Trader Joes and have had good luck. I like the plain dough the best.
 

randallr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2008
Messages
4,049
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by Reggs
Alton Brown said to get an unglazed quarry tile to use in place of a pizza stone. It's about a dollar.

Can these be had at Home Depot?
 

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
1,728
Reaction score
1,046
caramelized onion / goat cheese vs. prosciutto / arugula dough rest at room temp 2 hrs. cooked on the gas grill. both sides of dough grilled, then topping assembled. Closest ive come to neopolitan crust @ home. Blasted under the broiler real quick to finish cheese melt. Super crisp thin crust.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

  • Classic Leather Low-Top

  • Canvas Plimsoll

  • Leather Slip-On

  • Canvas Slip-On

  • Athletic Kicks

  • Leather High-Top


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
435,733
Messages
9,361,087
Members
196,428
Latest member
pirlig
Top