• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Talk Cutting Boards

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've gotten some very helpful suggestions in regards to kitchen knives so I thought I'd ask about cutting boards as well.

At present, I've got two cheap plastic cutting boards that are really starting to stink despite my best efforts to disinfect.

I'm looking at two alternatives to plastic: the Sani-Tuff rubber cutting board and a wooden cutting board, probably teak.

Anybody own either and if so, would they care to comment on them?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a couple of Sani-Tuffs or something like that. They aren't pretty, but they work very, very well. I wouldn't go back to wood I don't think.

lmaligaya

Reaction score
I bought a thick end grain board from overstock not too long ago. If you watch the sales and free shipping deals they got you can get 20 bucks off and free shipping. Beefy like Boo's blocks at a fraction of the price. I expect it to last a realllllly long time. The only maintenance it needs is mineral oil. If you go wood, it should be end grain or it will splinter after a while.

GreenNYC

Reaction score
you should run your plastic cutting board through the dishwasher to sanitize periodically. I have a bamboo board that is very durable and lightweight. I bought a massive butcher block board years ago because I loved the look but it's so unwieldy that I never use it.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you should run your plastic cutting board through the dishwasher to sanitize periodically. I have a bamboo board that is very durable and lightweight. I bought a massive butcher block board years ago because I loved the look but it's so unwieldy that I never use it.

Only if you use hot settings. Otherwise you'll just spread more on it.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some plastic boards that go in the dishwasher, but I mostly use a Boos endgrain board. It's easier on the knives and just feels better. I think bamboo is hard on knives and so avoid it.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i used poly boards for a long time. i just like the look of wood more. and contrary to received wisdom, my boos end grain that i spent the earth on warped and split within a year. on the other hand, the two length-grain (is that what they're called) are doing fine ... and one of them is probably 20 years old. Bamboo i'm not a fran of, at least hte ones i've tried feel very hard and make the knife edge feel brittle, if that makes any sense.

Edgein

Reaction score
Sorry hit the wrong key. The Epicurean boards are dishwasher safe, good quality and do the job. End grains are nice, esp if you have a larger one. Not sure how they wash. I had a bamboo one that warped in the dishwasher and delaminated. Check it out.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the sense that like most natural materials, there is going to be variations in the quality of any individual Boos block. I've dealt with Boos customer service and they handled an issue of mine satisfactorily. The large blocks are unweildy to move and clean, but they are beautiful. I understand why some don't like leaving blocks out for the world to see, but I find it very convenient to leave it out - I use it all the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads