• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk Alternative Apparel sweaters/cardigans

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yo. I've heard plenty of talk about Alternative Apparel's jersey stuff like tees, etc, but now I'm seeing these cardigans and sweatshirts that look somewhat promising. In particular, I'm referring to this and this. The styling looks tons better than what AA has, and with all the good reviews I've heard about Alt Ap in general, these seem to be pretty good options.

Have any of you had experience with this stuff? Let's hear it.

james nicolas

Reaction score
i own the second one
it's pretty thin, so it's not really going to keep you warm
but it's extremely soft/comfortable
and like has been brought up in other threads
the "perfect" v's and t's realy are perfect

i'm planning on setting up an alternative apparel wholesale thread in buying and selling
i just have to calculate prices and figure shipping and such but i should have it ready to go by the end of the week

Mark C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Are they owned by a similar company to american apparel? The web layout is exactly the same. Kinda weird considering they make the same clothes at the same prices

If I'm not mistaken, the owners (of Alternative) used to work for American Apparel. That would explain the similarity.

American Apparel is not owned by "a company", but by a man: Dov Charney.

And I cannot speak for the cardigans, but I do prefer American Apparel t-shirts to those of Alternative Apparel; the neck seemed streched out on the ladder.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james nicolas
i'm planning on setting up an alternative apparel wholesale thread in buying and selling i just have to calculate prices and figure shipping and such but i should have it ready to go by the end of the week
That sounds super. Oh, and how is the cut of the v-neck "sweatshirt"? High armholes, tapered waist, etc?

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark C.
American Apparel is not owned by "a company", but by a man: Dov Charney.

This was the case at one time, but not anymore. AA is now a publicly traded company controlled by Endeavor Acquisition Corp. Dov Charney serves as President and CEO.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm looking to buy two things off that site next month.

seamless74

Reaction score
tell you what im not too big on aa sweaters and cardigans but their coal miner shirts and coal miner henleys are awesome i can vouch for the fit and the feel... great layering piece,,

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Alt Apparel> American Apparel at least in terms of t-shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads